• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would have been at Waterville yesterday, but they were closed for employee appreciation day. At least Wildcat is hosting their employee day on a day that wouldn't have been available to regular customers anyway.

snoseek

I would have been at Waterville yesterday, but they were closed for employee appreciation day. At least Wildcat is hosting their employee day on a day that wouldn't have been available to regular customers anyway.
Doing on a weekend is kinda weird imo

thetrailboss

Staff member
WTF - CAT CLOSED for “Employee Ski Day”
Really ?
"Yep. Me and my BFF's were ripping it up!"

Katz-Skiing-Vail-2.jpg

AdironRider

Apparently that's how WV has managed it for many years. I don't disagree with you, but now I know not to hold a WV Indy ticket for the last weekend unless I can ski Saturday.

It is definitely an outlier amongst ski areas to do this on a weekend, but my impression of Waterville staffing is that outside of J1 visas, they have a distinctly older employee base. Perhaps a bunch of 2nd job holders on weekends? If so, I think its pretty cool they would make it so they can take advantage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is definitely an outlier amongst ski areas to do this on a weekend, but my impression of Waterville staffing is that outside of J1 visas, they have a distinctly older employee base. Perhaps a bunch of 2nd job holders on weekends? If so, I think its pretty cool they would make it so they can take advantage.

Regardless of their specific situation, I give WV props for doing it on a Sunday. Less chance for staff to have a conflict with a regular job, spouses work conflict or kids in school.

oldfartrider

I know Stowe also did this last year the day after their last open day and I assume it will happen again this year but don’t really know

Zand

I guess I'll be participating in this thread more often starting next fall. Although the Vermont resorts seem to be the pride and joy of Vails east coast resorts so maybe I won't even notice the warts unless I venture to NH.

I haven't bought yet but soon enough I'll be working against that modest decline in pass sales (and less crowds sounds good to me). Decline in pass numbers and growth in profit is a win for the skiers (although will hit Vail in the pocket later with less people purchasing food, lodging, etc).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Vail got their $200 out of me for next season again. Bought two day passes for myself and my kids. Will use one at Wildcat again and the other likely Sunapee as my daughter hasn't been. In the future maybe I go with the more expensive day product so they can experience Stowe, Okemo or Snow.

Can't see myself ever going back to a full time Epic pass unless Vail shows a much greater commitment to aggressive snowmaking in December in NH.

BenedictGomez

I was selected too, which makes absolutely no sense. This is a case of Vail just "shotgunning" the email out to everyone rather than using the hoards of data they have on us for targeted marketing.

Edd

From the Epic Pass site, I’m not seeing when prices go up. Can somebody tell me so that I know the date is when I hate myself for buying something from Vail?

April 14th. The price traditionally hasn't changed at the 1st deadline, but you don't get any buddy passes with your pass.

Guess we'll see in a few days if that traditional scenario holds true again

You're on a vet pass so you don't get buddy passes anyway just thenski with a friend ones. I wouldn't rush at all
I’ve been holding out on buying due to indecision and still don’t see when prices increase. I called them (they picked up right away) and was told “that date hasn’t been determined yet“. Don’t remember a ski company being wishy-washy about this before.

drjeff

I’ve been holding out on buying due to indecision and still don’t see when prices increase. I called them (they picked up right away) and was told “that date hasn’t been determined yet“. Don’t remember a ski company being wishy-washy about this before.
The price increase deadline (technically 1st price increase as the most recently deadline was just about the Buddy Passes and not price), typically is late Summer. I am sure as they always do, will send out a flood of "warnings" in the weeks leading up to an actual price increase via emails and social media

Reactions: Edd