• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

doublediamond

Place used to be packed with families having fun in the summer all the way back to the 80s.

Wonder if the Stowe employee Zipline fatality had anything to do with that attraction closing at Attitash.

Meanwhile down the street, Cranmore continues to expand their summer appeal more and more
Yes Vail has been closing all their ziplines down, even those run by third parties.

But that fatality is on Vail for not following the manufacturer’s recommendation of annual replacement of the harness. Penny wise pound foolish. That’s how Vail overall is run.

Vter

Stowe’s Zipline incident (killing) was called an accident, what it was:
Involuntary Manslaughter

Been skiing there since ‘67, I will never ski there again, until Vail admits the tragedy falls straight up on them.

Somebody should be criminally charged.
Sure $ settlement is probably ok, but I know that a Dead Dad, A Father & Widow can never be replaced by $.

Fuck Vail !

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

A friend once showed me pictures of an injury he sustained on the alpine slide when crashing somehow. A giant road rash on his leg, looked more like a motorcycle injury. I’d never ride that thing after seeing that pic.

I melted my shirt sleeve (literally melted) on the one at Snowbird. I was breaking landspeed records & being an idiot, could have ended much worse.

BenedictGomez

. Penny wise pound foolish. That’s how Vail overall is run.
100%.

The "parking situation" they have created at Park City Cabriolet is borderline dangerous. All it will take is one 5 year old getting hit in the "Parking Lot Demolition Derby" they've created and it will erase 3 or 4 years of $25 "reserved fees" they've collected. I'm genuinely starting to believe their brass are idiots.

4aprice

I melted my shirt sleeve (literally melted) on the one at Snowbird. I was breaking landspeed records & being an idiot, could have ended much worse.
This sounds like the old Action Park at Vernon Valley lol. We called it "death park", but if you really want to know the stories they can be looked up in "Weird New Jersey". Never a good idea to have fast self controlled rides and alcohol in the same venue.

drjeff

This sounds like the old Action Park at Vernon Valley lol. We called it "death park", but if you really want to know the stories they can be looked up in "Weird New Jersey". Never a good idea to have fast self controlled rides and alcohol in the same venue.
Small world stuff, but one of the guys in the "Class Action Park" documentary, Joe Hession, who worked at Action Park while growing up, is now one of the owners of both Mountain Creek and Big Snow!

xlr8r

Saw the video Attitash GM Brandon Shwartz posted about this summer. First I respect Attitash for the video updates they have put out, the mountain management for the past couple years has been very open about the issues they deal with and the projects they are working on. To me at least I have not seen any of the other Vail northeast mountains communicate and be as open with the public.

Based on the Stowe incident its obvious the zipline had to go, and to me at least its good to see the mountain coaster go as well. With those two attractions gone, and the removal of the pools and slides last year, the Attitash base area is being de-cluttered. Removing all these rinky-dink attractions makes the mountain in winter look a lot nicer and more polished, and easier to navigate. With the coaster gone, Brandon confirmed that the Hunky Dory trail will return. Both Flying Bear and Flying Yankee will be repainted back to their original Blue color, which again will visually make the place nicer looking. For Flying Bear the 30 year old original blue paint on the top terminal is in much better shape the the Black Paint job Peaks gave the bottom terminal. Also seems like snowmaking improvements will be made specifically tightrope is called out.

Will all of this work happen on time, based on recent history, maybe not. But it is good to see deferred maintenance under Peaks being addressed.

snoseek

Saw the video Attitash GM Brandon Shwartz posted about this summer. First I respect Attitash for the video updates they have put out, the mountain management for the past couple years has been very open about the issues they deal with and the projects they are working on. To me at least I have not seen any of the other Vail northeast mountains communicate and be as open with the public.

Based on the Stowe incident its obvious the zipline had to go, and to me at least its good to see the mountain coaster go as well. With those two attractions gone, and the removal of the pools and slides last year, the Attitash base area is being de-cluttered. Removing all these rinky-dink attractions makes the mountain in winter look a lot nicer and more polished, and easier to navigate. With the coaster gone, Brandon confirmed that the Hunky Dory trail will return. Both Flying Bear and Flying Yankee will be repainted back to their original Blue color, which again will visually make the place nicer looking. For Flying Bear the 30 year old original blue paint on the top terminal is in much better shape the the Black Paint job Peaks gave the bottom terminal. Also seems like snowmaking improvements will be made specifically tightrope is called out.

Will all of this work happen on time, based on recent history, maybe not. But it is good to see deferred maintenance under Peaks being addressed.
I'm honestly thrilled about what they've been doing at attitash. The place skied as good as ever this past season although it took way too long to roll out terrain.

BenedictGomez

This sounds like the old Action Park at Vernon Valley lol. We called it "death park", but if you really want to know the stories they can be looked up in "Weird New Jersey".

I realized later in life why my mother would never let me go there. A buddy told me there's a Netflix documentary about the place that was amazing, but I still havent seen it.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com