• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Likely to Close 3 State Colleges

cdskier

Uhhhh...... I mean...... okay, I'll take your research as gospel.

So what?

That's still more than TWICE the salary of the average college graduate. And for what, for teaching 18th century Greek art? Gimme a frickin' break. It's insane.

You're missing the whole point that a full "professor" isn't an entry level job... Why should a recent college graduate make what someone with numerous years of experience is making (in ANY field)? What's the point of even comparing the two? The average Sr Director at company XYZ is going to make a heck of a lot more than a recent college graduate as well. So what?

I'm certainly not going to say every professor is worth it. But when you're talking about an average, that's including some of the science and engineering fields and not just "18th century Greek art". I'm perfectly fine with paying 100K plus to an engineering professor that knows their shit and has been teaching for years to get to that point.

Now if you want to compare tuition vs starting salaries of graduates to show how ridiculously excessive tuition is, then I'm all on board with that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Average rate of inflation since 1997 has been 2.1%. So, I don't find it unreasonable at all for teachers to ask for what essentially amounts to a .9% raise a year.

As for college tuition, I feel that much of the problem lies in students having too easy of access to loans. As with any loan, they should be provided only if a reasonable expectation can be made that the loan will be repaid. Perhaps tying the average salary five years post graduation associated with a particular degree should be considered before approving a loan. If the student's family wants to cover a $200k education for a theater degree, that's fine. But, providing a $200k loan for such a degree is not a good idea. Perhaps stricter loan requirements will force students and families to look at a college education as the business investment it should be viewed as.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

You're missing the whole point that a full "professor" isn't an entry level job... Why should a recent college graduate make what someone with numerous years of experience is making (in ANY field)? What's the point of even comparing the two?

When I say "college graduate", and I quote those figures, I'm not talking about the pool of 22 year olds who just graduated & have no experience, I'm talking about the pool of everyone with a college degree. Not sure why you'd take it otherwise. Nevertheless, inflated teacher salaries is certainly part of the problem.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can't say I disagree with this. But is everyone in the state also getting the same raise? Or just public sector employees. I'd like to see public sector employees raises tied to the average of raises given to private sector employees of similar salary ranges.
That's very difficult to do and predict. Ultimately, it's the voters who decide if raises for public sector employees get approved or not. At least at the local level. They don't always get that raise and sometimes jobs are cut in schools and towns to meet budgets. So, in that sense, things are run like a business.

My position hasn't seen a raise in base salary in over ten years. You want to make more, you sell more. You want to sell more, you improve your skills.

VTKilarney

Average rate of inflation since 1997 has been 2.1%. So, I don't find it unreasonable at all for teachers to ask for what essentially amounts to a .9% raise a year.

As for college tuition, I feel that much of the problem lies in students having too easy of access to loans. As with any loan, they should be provided only if a reasonable expectation can be made that the loan will be repaid. Perhaps tying the average salary five years post graduation associated with a particular degree should be considered before approving a loan. If the student's family wants to cover a $200k education for a theater degree, that's fine. But, providing a $200k loan for such a degree is not a good idea. Perhaps stricter loan requirements will force students and families to look at a college education as the business investment it should be viewed as.

This is on TOP of their step increases. Nobody should get a raise every single year that is .9% above inflation just because they exist and are still breathing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is on TOP of their step increases. Nobody should get a raise every single year that is .9% above inflation just because they exist and are still breathing.
Maybe in your town. Not mine. Teachers contracts are negotiated in three year blocks. Usually the first year has the highest increase and then years 2&3 less so.

VTKilarney

Maybe in your town. Not mine. Teachers contracts are negotiated in three year blocks. Usually the first year has the highest increase and then years 2&3 less so.

Trust me. Your town has step increases for teachers. Any raises are on top of the step increases. I have no problem if raises keep the steps tracking with inflation, mind you. My own work contract has a built in annual adjustment for inflation. But you were content with raises above and beyond inflation every year. Big difference.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yes, I do not have a problem with an annual 1% raise above inflation for the teachers in my town. I think there is value in offering an incentive to hold onto our teachers as they become more experienced.

BenedictGomez

Elementary school teachers making $47,000 college professors making $187,000.

This is getting way off subject in a conflatey' way.

Dickc

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

thetrailboss

Staff member
IIRC the highest paid professor at LSC when I was there was under 70k. I'm sure its gone up a little bit but still very low compared to almost anywhere else. Unfortunately for whatever reason the VSC decided they needed an administration big enough to run SUNY instead of small enough to run VSC.

From what I understand, nothing was going bad until the last 10 years. I remember them panicking about dropping enrollment during my last couple years. It just sucks...on top of having one of the best meteorology programs in the world, they also have a top notch TV program as well as pretty good music and mountain recreation departments. Not to mention how important it was for the whole northeastern part of VT and northwestern part of NH as the only commutable 4 year college. The fact that UVM is trying to get the state to fund them for more than the VSC needs to survive is the biggest salt in the wounds.

At this rate everything east of rt 100 and north of rt 4 should secede for NH and everything else can be part of a new Vermont complete with a new capital in Red Square in Burlington. It's what they want anyway. Its funny that a state that prides itself on being rural just laughs in the face of the people in the actual rural parts while they consolidate all the wealth, education, and jobs in one county.

The state is so corrupt that they don't even try to hide it anymore.

Oh BTW let's not forget the state also just decided to take 20+ prisoners infected with Covid from a prison in St. Albans and dumped them in St J.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

yes, I do not have a problem with an annual 1% raise above inflation for the teachers in my town. I think there is value in offering an incentive to hold onto our teachers as they become more experienced.

You don’t seem to understand the difference between step increases and independent raises that are above the rate of inflation.

My issue is with raises that increase the pay at each step at a rate that is above inflation for a year after year after year. That is simply not a sustainable model.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No, I'm perfectly aware of what step increases are. Those flatten out over time as teachers age out of the system and are typically replaced with less experienced and younger teachers at lower salaries.

A recent three contract in my town had a year 1 increase if 3.7% across the board and then 1.6% in years 2/3. Seems reasonable to me.

I would add the 1% as part of the step program. Maybe tie .5% to tenure with a 4 year degree and the full 1% to those with a Master's.

VTKilarney

I agree, A raise to keep pace with inflation, regardless of merit or improvement, is all I would see as anywhere near sustainable. Getting a raise beyond inflation is unsustainable. Merit raises are a separate issue. Step increases come with years of service beyond that.

Exactly. It’s basic mathematics.

cdskier

I agree...however your average college professor still isn't making $187K (especially in VT).
2020-04-19 13_00_19-Faculty Salaries at Vermont colleges.jpg

VSC schools (which was the original topic of this thread) have even lower averages for each of these ranks than the VT overall averages.

This chart also doesn't include adjunct professors since they're paid per course not paid on a salary basis. My own college seems to have moved away from adjuncts towards using "Lecturers" instead since I graduated (at least in the department I was part of).

Additionally, most teaching faculty at a college are not full "professors". In most colleges it is very difficult to become a full professor and takes years. There are "professors" that I had 20 years ago at my school that are still only "Associate professors" and not full professors. A "Professor" is the highest academic rank at a college. When talking about salary data, it isn't a generic term.

And before you question the source of my data...
Faculty and staff pay data come from the U.S. Department of Education’s Integrated Postsecondary Data System (Ipeds), comprising degree-granting colleges that participate in Title IV funding. The faculty data refer to full-time, nonmedical, instructional staff (either “instructional only” or “instructional combined with research and/or public service”) as of November 1 of the corresponding academic year.

VTKilarney

The top professor in the meteorological program made $67,600 in 2017.

I had heard rumors that the program has gone downhill. Based on this list of faculty, I would have a hard time arguing against that. Nothing against any of them personally, it’s just that it shows that the school is not really invested in the program.
http://atmos.northernvermont.edu/about-us/faculty-staff/

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
In 2002 I was hired as an adjunct professor to teach a Resort Marketing and Sales course at Davis and Elkins College in West Virginia.

I was paid $1500 for the semester plus mileage. Lol

cdskier

The top professor in the meteorological program made $67,600 in 2017.

I had heard rumors that the program has gone downhill. Based on this list of faculty, I would have a hard time arguing against that. Nothing against any of them personally, it’s just that it shows that the school is not really invested in the program.
http://atmos.northernvermont.edu/about-us/faculty-staff/

The average professor salary was just under $70K for NVU in the 2018-2019 academic year. So $67,600 for 2017 seems certainly possible. At the moment, the "top" professor in the program is also the only "professor". So not hard to see how they would be pretty in line with the average especially if that type of scenario is common across numerous programs in the school.

Zand

No professor in the VSC makes close to that. The longest tenured teachers in my hometown school district make more than the longest tenured professors in the VSC.

This isnt a professor salary problem. It's an overinflated administration with overinflated administrative salaries problem.