• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

abc

many folks are resisting the call from management to get back in the office
Nobody particularly LIKE commuting, whether it’s by car or by train. In the past, there’s no alternative. There is now. So that’s a really big worry for NYC.

When I worked in the office in NYC, I rarely talk to anyone. They all email or ping each other. And people routinely work from home on Friday for example. But there’s a difference. Before, WFH is taken as a day to run errands in between answering emails. ;) During the pandemic however, everyone is WFH, everyday. So no more errands, no more excuses for not being instantly available, etc. People found out they can actually do real work from home almost as efficiently as in the office!

Managements are talking about up to 25% of their workers will either retire or change jobs to NOT coming into the office! That’s the concern for the city, if 20-25% of the office workers stop coming into the city everyday, it’s going to have a cascading effect on the business.

kingslug

There was a spree of attacks for a while..looks to be gang related...but its getting more crowded by the day..my train is packed and people are starting to come back to the building...26 stores vacant on Bway near me...thats not great. Including 2 of ours.
As far as VT..havent been in a while..

HowieT2

There was a spree of attacks for a while..looks to be gang related...but its getting more crowded by the day..my train is packed and people are starting to come back to the building...26 stores vacant on Bway near me...thats not great. Including 2 of ours.
As far as VT..havent been in a while..
Not just nyc but everywhere. civil unrest in the US last summer, in south africa and cuba now. unruly passengers on airplanes are up. fireworks incidents have increased dramatically. billions of people worldwide feeling the psychological effects of the pandemic and lockdowns. it will take time to adjust to a changed world.
NYC in particular is dealing with loss of demand from office workers and tourists. those businesses dependent on those customers are in a tough spot. But I think we are already seeing the markets adapting.

urungus

NH alpine ski visits up 5% year over year, but 3% below 10 year average … how does that compare to the final tally from Vermont ?

Geoff

Just a freak timing coincidence, about California (San Francisco, San Jose)
I have a NY Times subscription. I always make the point that intellectual property creation is invariably a group activity and very much ad hoc. You grab a few people and work through problems on the whiteboard. You completely lose that telecommuting 100% of the time. There are lots of jobs you can do 100% remote but the jobs that create the most value in the Bay Area aren’t like that. Half time hybrid would probably work if everyone is there on the same days.

deadheadskier

Staff member

NH alpine ski visits up 5% year over year, but 3% below 10 year average … how does that compare to the final tally from Vermont ?
The resorts all shut down in March of 2020. That 5% growth is likely due to the normal length 2021 season

Certainly felt busier though

2Planker

Pretty much what we all expected.
NH Less restrictions lead to more skier visits.
VT's self imposed increased rules lead to less....

abc

I have a NY Times subscription. I always make the point that intellectual property creation is invariably a group activity and very much ad hoc. You grab a few people and work through problems on the whiteboard. You completely lose that telecommuting 100% of the time.
I disagree.

If we look back 20 years, a lot of what we take for granted today was considered impossible back then because 1) the technology wasn't mature and, 2) people aren't used to it so not using it to their full potential.

A lot of the "whiteboarding" can be done online, quite effectively. Yes, it FEELS different, but only to those of us grow up using an actual whiteboard. The youngsters of today are far more comfortable "whiteboarding" electronically!

I work with younger folks at my job (IT). I'm the one who's struggling to "feel comfortable" with my colleagues launching into extensive discussions over the multiple online tools they seemingly randomly choose according to the latest fashion. But I have to confess, once I got over the initial confusion, I found communication flows quite freely and effectively.

There're also advantage of being in front of the screen during those discussions. You can view actual codes with a flick of a mouse!

It's definitely not lose it 100%. It does change the mode of working though. Reality is majority of working age people hasn't quite got used to it, even after a year and half of WFH.

machski

The resorts all shut down in March of 2020. That 5% growth is likely due to the normal length 2021 season

Certainly felt busier though
All of my NH ski days were midweek and it definitely felt busier then (Heck, Loon I was waiting 30 minutes at times for North and Kanc midweeks!). I avoided weekends so I wonder if those were quieter than normal.

abc

Sounds about right, 3% below 10 year average.

But of course, the headline would prefer to play up the 5% over previous year part. ;)

I avoided weekends so I wonder if those were quieter than normal.
I suspect it's less people than "normal", which "normal" could mean a total madhouse.

The reservation have a cap on the total visit. However, since chairs aren't filled, the wait were equally long from what I heard.

So overall, it's less visitor but just as bad lift line?

gregnye

I always find it funny when managers use the "I need people back in the office, I can't trust my employees at home" excuse. Like wait a minute, if you can't trust your own employees, and you are the manager, then WHY ARE YOU EMPLOYING THEM?????????? A manager's one job is to hire and fire people. You should be able to trust them enough to work remote. If you can't trust them, then fire them!

What it comes down to though is that the U.S. is currently in the class war of the 1% versus everyone else. The 1% saw how much money everyone else earned/saved during the pandemic working remotely, and was like "that won't do, let's increase the price of everything and get everyone back in the office ASAP. They are slaves to our business, we can't have them have nice things".

I earned and saved the most money I've ever saved in 2020. Didn't have to pay much for gas, didn't have to pay for car repairs. Also I was able to work 2 jobs working from home. And before people say "that's not fair to your employer" I say "who cares? I was getting satisfactory work done at both places--so why not work 2 remote jobs? In fact I was the remaining employee after they laid off 4 other people. So I was doing the work of 5 people and still was able to do an entire other job from home at the same time. That's how much downtime commuting + sitting in an office pretending to look busy equates to.

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

I always find it funny when managers use the "I need people back in the office, I can't trust my employees at home" excuse. Like wait a minute, if you can't trust your own employees, and you are the manager, then WHY ARE YOU EMPLOYING THEM?????????? A manager's one job is to hire and fire people. You should be able to trust them enough to work remote. If you can't trust them, then fire them!

What it comes down to though is that the U.S. is currently in the class war of the 1% versus everyone else. The 1% saw how much money everyone else earned/saved during the pandemic working remotely, and was like "that won't do, let's increase the price of everything and get everyone back in the office ASAP. They are slaves to our business, we can't have them have nice things".

I earned and saved the most money I've ever saved in 2020. Didn't have to pay much for gas, didn't have to pay for car repairs. Also I was able to work 2 jobs working from home. And before people say "that's not fair to your employer" I say "who cares? I was getting satisfactory work done at both places--so why not work 2 remote jobs? In fact I was the remaining employee after they laid off 4 other people. So I was doing the work of 5 people and still was able to do an entire other job from home at the same time. That's how much downtime commuting + sitting in an office pretending to look busy equates to.

Funny for us it was the opposite, we traveled more during covid than normal. We both worked from home and found that we could work from anywhere and as a result were on the move many times. We took on a stay outside attitude which was a focus for us. Our spending shifted from commuting to getting out somewhere. We also felt compelled to support the restaurant industry and did that a lot. We did take advantaged of depressed stocks though! There was a stint where we worked from our offices during the summer which was nice to be honest but the second wave hit and it was back to being home even though we had minimal issues at our office.

Hawk

In my position I do not manage the hiring and firing of people. I manage projects with the people that I am given. The people that are in work with me are doing an excellent job. The people working from home are mostly letting me down. I will agree that you do save more money working from home but the productivity has gone down in my case. The other thing is that computer only based work does not make up all jobs and there are specific industries that this WFH model fails. That would be me.

abc

In my position I do not manage the hiring and firing of people. I manage projects with the people that I am given. The people that are in work with me are doing an excellent job. The people working from home are mostly letting me down.
That's a difficult position for a manager to be in if you can't fire people who are not getting the work done.

Are you sure those same people who've been "letting your down" will not be so if they work in the office?

abc

In that case, why not call them back into the office?

They may choose to resign. Then you get to hire someone else who could get the work done, whether in office or out.