• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

dblskifanatic

I'm here everyday too. Your apocalyptic description of NYC doesnt comport with reality. Has crime increased since before the pandemic? absolutely. Not just in NYC, but everywhere. Crime in NYC remains lower than most other us cities on a per capita basis. The homeless problem has also increased, exascerbated by moving large numbers into vacant hotels in manhattan.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes NYC tourism to return to it record highs of 2019. We used to visit NYC from time to time but probably will never again. for us - not because of all the negative stuff but I find nature to be more appealing than concrete. NYC got hit hard last year and it is not recovering as quickly as expected.

2Planker

I'm here everyday too. Your apocalyptic description of NYC doesnt comport with reality. Has crime increased since before the pandemic? absolutely. Not just in NYC, but everywhere. Crime in NYC remains lower than most other us cities on a per capita basis. The homeless problem has also increased, exascerbated by moving large numbers into vacant hotels in manhattan.
In Boston many hotels just rented floors to the colleges as Covid+ quarantine sites.
Security on the floor 24/7 to make sure no one left their room.

Last edited:

mikec142

NYC got hit hard last year and it is not recovering as quickly as expected.
I guess this depends on what you mean by recovering. Traffic is back to terrible level. Restaurants are absolutely packed. Stores are mobbed. I took NJT and the NY Subway for the first time in a long time. Both packed.

That said, my office is still somewhat of a graveyard.

mikec142

Yeah...I don't see it either. Restaurants, bars, stores, transit are all packed. I will say that midtown after hours is a bit bizarre. But Gramercy, Soho, E&W Village, Tribeca are mobbed with (positive) activity. We met friends for dinner last night in Soho (not sure if you can actually call it Soho...Ludlow a half block south of Houston) and it was almost impossible to find street parking + the restaurant was packed.

As we were leaving, we were chatting with our friends on the street corner while they waited for their Uber. There was a car blocking other cars from turning onto Ludlow from Houston. Of course there was the resulting cacophony of car horns followed by a guy rolling down his window and yelling "move your car you a$$hole!" I just turned to my friends, smiled, and said, "New York is back!"

dblskifanatic

I guess this depends on what you mean by recovering. Traffic is back to terrible level. Restaurants are absolutely packed. Stores are mobbed. I took NJT and the NY Subway for the first time in a long time. Both packed.

That said, my office is still somewhat of a graveyard.

Restaurants are packed everywhere - in fact many are still a bit hand cuffed due to staffing shortages. I have also read that outdorr places like central park and others open spaces are places that people are flocking to.

According to the Mayor and Bloomberg news - The city expects domestic tourism to rebound by 2023 and total tourists to surpass the pre-pandemic level of 66.6 million visitors a year by 2024.

mikec142

Probably never going to either. Hundreds of thousands have left the state already. That number increases daily
Hundreds of thousands? That sounds like a lot. Could be true, I have no idea.

That said. Fine. An equal amount of people will flow into NYC. Hopefully the inflow will bring creative entrepreneurial types who will bring needed innovation and change.

icecoast1

Hundreds of thousands? That sounds like a lot. Could be true, I have no idea.

That said. Fine. An equal amount of people will flow into NYC. Hopefully the inflow will bring creative entrepreneurial types who will bring needed innovation and change.
Not since the start of the pandemic but over the last few years the total state population is down quite a bit. NY is going to be losing a congressional seat as a result.

I don't think many businesses will be itching to start in New York with the regulations and taxes

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not since the start of the pandemic but over the last few years the total state population is down quite a bit. NY is going to be losing a congressional seat as a result.

I don't think many businesses will be itching to start in New York with the regulations and taxes

Correct...population is flat or on a slow decline depending on what you look at. NY has turned into California-lite. Expensive to live in and people are realizing there's better options out there. WFH, rising crime, and stupid high taxes are killing the state.

I love the rural parts of NY...especially the upper Route 22 corridor. But the poverty all over the state is just horrific.

abc

NY has turned into California-lite. Expensive to live in and people are realizing there's better options out there.
I'm not sure it's not the other way around. California is NY-lite.

New York has always been expensive! But there're strong incentive to be in New York. Or California.

The question really is, did California/NY lost that "special something". If it still have "it", people will keep flogging there despite the high cost of living.

icecoast1

I guess Google, Amazon and a few tech firms didn't read that mamo!
Not sure it matters much for them, not like they won't be exploiting some loophole to get out of paying taxes anyway.

As a regular NYC commuter on Metro North for over 25 years and as someone who commuted the whole pandemic, I can say:
- I measure the strength of the recovery by my barber who says its still way down
- still missing most of the office workers in the towers
- the city will bounce back, but Deblasio set us back many years
- homeless are disrupted and living all over, but no more annoying than usual
- its getting busier every day
- still many shuttered restaurants and storefronts
- still cheap hotel rates a sure sign things are slow
- many folks are resisting the call from management to get back in the office

HowieT2

this whole "nyc is a dying hell hole" is a myth. serves some peoples political beliefs.218010355_4533142380032235_8077523834770165170_n.jpg218010355_4533142380032235_8077523834770165170_n.jpg