• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

mikec142

In that case, why not call them back into the office?

They may choose to resign. Then you get to hire someone else who could get the work done, whether in office or out.
I don't know what kind of company Hawk works for, but there are a ton of issues around calling folks back to the office. Not so easy to just call a few back.

BenedictGomez

Probably never going to either. Hundreds of thousands have left the state already. That number increases daily

If I left through my back door now, I could be in midtown Manhattan in less than an hour. I havent been there in at least 2.5 years. Lived there for about 10 years, that was enough.

BenedictGomez

As far as VT..havent been in a while..

Just got back, first time in a year. The key takeaway is here everything's pretty much back to normal, but in Vermont most every store I was in still had plexiglass barriers & employees wearing masks even though they're likely vaccinated. Church restrictions lifted, but were a few months behind Jersey as well. Way more people in stores with masks too even though it's the most vaccinated state in all of America. It seems a mix of fear, better safe than sorry cautiousness, and performance art.

BenedictGomez

Some fantastic news related to this conversation, last week I received final approval to be a fully WFH employee, which never would have happened if not for this awful pandemic. It needed 5 approvals (boss, bosses boss, Finance director, CFO, and HR) so it wasn't a sure thing as it was pretty clear they didn't want everyone putting in for FT WFH.

Pretty psyched about this & what it potentially means. I will say it's not all sunshine, kittens, and roses though, after working from home for 1 year & 4 months now, I will say that I do miss some of my coworkers, but the biggest thing is life can become a bit Groundhog Day'ish if you don't intentionally break things up. Other than that, it's pretty flipping splendid.

urungus

Some fantastic news related to this conversation, last week I received final approval to be a fully WFH employee, which never would have happened if not for this awful pandemic. It needed 5 approvals (boss, bosses boss, Finance director, CFO, and HR) so it wasn't a sure thing as it was pretty clear they didn't want everyone putting in for FT WFH.

Pretty psyched about this & what it potentially means. I will say it's not all sunshine, kittens, and roses though, after working from home for 1 year & 4 months now, I will say that I do miss some of my coworkers, but the biggest thing is life can become a bit Groundhog Day'ish if you don't intentionally break things up. Other than that, it's pretty flipping splendid.
Congrats. Have you considered moving to ski country ?

BenedictGomez

Congrats. Have you considered moving to ski country ?

Yes. We've talked about it for a few years now, but have been getting far more serious lately. In fact, we're leaving on a "fact finding & discovery" trip out west next month not so much as a vacation, but to specifically decide if we move to ski country or stay in the east. We've already made one big decision that Jersey is out, so if we do stay in the east we'll hop over the Delaware.

2Planker

Just got back, first time in a year. The key takeaway is here everything's pretty much back to normal, but in Vermont most every store I was in still had plexiglass barriers & employees wearing masks even though they're likely vaccinated. Church restrictions lifted, but were a few months behind Jersey as well. Way more people in stores with masks too even though it's the most vaccinated state in all of America. It seems a mix of fear, better safe than sorry cautiousness, and performance art.
Not quite...
All of New England w/ the exception of NH have higher Vacc #'s than NJ. Both for 1st Dose & Fully Vacc
See Chart below - NJ ranks #7 for 1st dose & #8 for Fully Vacc, behind all of New England & Maryland

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

Last edited:

cdskier

Not quite...
All of New England w/ the exception of NH have higher Vacc #'s than NJ. Both for 1st Dose & Fully Vacc
See Chart below - NJ ranks #7 for 1st dose & #8 for Fully Vacc, behind all of New England & Maryland

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

Huh? What does NJ's vaccination numbers have to do with BG's post about what he experienced visiting VT? BG's point was that even though VT has the highest Vaccination rate, they were also being much more cautious than people in NJ with still wearing masks a lot.

2Planker

Huh? What does NJ's vaccination numbers have to do with BG's post about what he experienced visiting VT? BG's point was that even though VT has the highest Vaccination rate, they were also being much more cautious than people in NJ with still wearing masks a lot.
He was claiming that NJ "was the most vaccinated state in America"......
NOT true, There are a bunch of states ahead of NJ including all six of the NE states

mikec142

NOT true, There are a bunch of states ahead of NJ including all six of the NE states
Pretty sure he was just stating that the behavior of Vermonters is a few months behind that of New Jerseyians. In the form of still wearing masks, plexiglass barriers, etc. Not in vaccination rate.

jimmywilson69

I still see plastic barriers all over PA. Those may be here to stay. Probably better for store workers and wherever else they are installed anyways.

Hawk

Yes I have been up there a bunch riding my bike. There are some establishments that are very cautious. Others not so much. For instance I went to Flat Bread in Warren and the only people with masks were elderly and the wait staff. Lots of blue, orange, light green and white plates in the parking lot. I don't blame them.

cdskier

No he wasn't. The "most vaccinated state in America" comment was related to Vermont, not NJ.

Pretty sure he was just stating that the behavior of Vermonters is a few months behind that of New Jerseyians. In the form of still wearing masks, plexiglass barriers, etc. Not in vaccination rate.

Yea...that's the way I read it. VT is behind in terms of relaxing behavior even though they're more vaccinated than NJ.

abc

I still see plastic barriers all over PA. Those may be here to stay. Probably better for store workers and wherever else they are installed anyways.
They're also good to help curb the spread of flu.

I don't want to "go back" to the old normal. I want the best combination of old and new to be the "new normal" that we adapt to going forward. (we owe it to the dead to get some benefits for the rest of the society)

BenedictGomez

Lots of blue, orange, light green and white plates in the parking lot. I don't blame them.

Blue = Connecticut
Orange = New York
White - Massachusetts (I'm guessing, though could be Maine too)

What's light green? New Hampshire maybe....

dblskifanatic

So I am amazed by the number of people who are walking alone outside and wearing a mask. I was in a Dunkin Donuts waiting on food and I saw a couple seated wearing masks and talking it off when they took a bite or sip. People are wearing masks in cars as well. I think for some, the fear of death was so strongly placed in their heads by the governments Federal, State and Local. Any talking points against it were stripped from social media right or not. So they followed!

Hawk

Blue = Connecticut
Orange = New York
White - Massachusetts (I'm guessing, though could be Maine too)

What's light green? New Hampshire maybe....
Yup. Flatbread also did not have diminished seating capacity like other places in the valley.
So I am amazed by the number of people who are walking alone outside and wearing a mask. I was in a Dunkin Donuts waiting on food and I saw a couple seated wearing masks and talking it off when they took a bite or sip. People are wearing masks in cars as well. I think for some, the fear of death was so strongly placed in their heads by the governments Federal, State and Local. Any talking points against it were stripped from social media right or not. So they followed!
In some cases it has nothing to do with blaming the government or media. I have friends and family members that are total germaphobes and were on the verge of mask wearing before covid hit. Some people are just scared to begin with and made there mind up to be careful. I don't even take a second to think about why these people are that way. They just are.

I am not scared. I wear a mask when I am inside and they ask. I don't were a mask when I don't have to. I am not going to blame anyone or take acceptation to people who chose to do so. why be amazed. Does it help to waste time thinking about it.

You know what I am amazed with. The amount of time that people have to reiterate, regurgitate, point out, examine what other do and don't do. I don't have time for that. I wish more people were like me and we could just discuss skiing on a ski forum. I guess I am done with covid talk. can you tell.

VTKilarney

You know what I am amazed with. The amount of time that people have to reiterate, regurgitate, point out, examine what other do and don't do. I don't have time for that. I wish more people were like me and we could just discuss skiing on a ski forum.

You couldn't make it one sentence without doing exactly what you were complaining about.