• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT current conditions - mid december - how far north....

tnt1234

....do I need to drive?

Thinking about stealing a couple days next week or next weekend (12/16) and trying to get in on the recent snow storm.

Folks up north, am I right in thinking that Sugarbush and resorts north got a lot more snow than say K-ton and areas south?

Trying to keep driving down to a minimum, but still catch some of the nicer snow and terrain.

tnt1234

....and just like that, those plans are out the window.....

hard to be a ski bum in new jersey with a job and family.

4aprice

....and just like that, those plans are out the window.....

hard to be a ski bum in new jersey with a job and family.

Oh man. All I can say is "I hear you". December for the most part is H-E-L-L for me so I was hoping that local (the Pocono's) would open decently early but that hasn't happened. (FWIW as the temps just start to sink they have fired up guns today). Probably going to be another week before I can start and then work could wreck that too so we shall see.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

slatham

Yes Northern half of VT and up high have really won. It looks like next couple of storms will not be as elevation dependent and will get good snow in southern areas. In fact some models put down more snow in So VT than up north. We are getting a great start and we should all go get it. Unfortunately I cannot this weekend but am planning for next weekend and am hopeful I will be making turns at Magic!

tnt1234

Well, I hope everyone goes out and gets some. Looks like one day at Hunter on man made for me this weekend, and still gonna try to make something work with the kids next, but it's gonna either involve driving through the night, or blowing off work and school.

Mt. Snow is interesting....can almost drive there super early, ski, crash, ski, drive....

We'll see!

Great news is, even if we don't cash in on this nice run, there is plenty of snow in VT early. So even after a few inevitable warm spells. it won't take much to spruce the mountains up, and hopefully we all catch a few good days this season.

bdfreetuna

Great news is, even if we don't cash in on this nice run, there is plenty of snow in VT early. So even after a few inevitable warm spells. it won't take much to spruce the mountains up, and hopefully we all catch a few good days this season.

warmth is not inevitable. Shaping up to be a December to remember. The long range looks fantastic.

Don't think I'm gonna do Mt Snow founders day. Probably gonna go to Killington Monday. Some woods should be in play by then with careful skiing. Fresh tracks on East Fall all day sounds nice too.

tnt1234

warmth is not inevitable. Shaping up to be a December to remember. The long range looks fantastic.

Don't think I'm gonna do Mt Snow founders day. Probably gonna go to Killington Monday. Some woods should be in play by then with careful skiing. Fresh tracks on East Fall all day sounds nice too.

Sure hope you are right. Counting down the days till our SB/MRG trip and hoping it stays cold.

bdfreetuna

And Pico will ski better if they are willing to drop ropes.

doesn't Pico have a pretty friendly woods skiing policy compared to Killington? If I recall they're never exactly "closed" unless the trail you need to access it is closed.

I'm actually keeping an eye on this not sure if it's gonna be K or Pico tomorrow. Don't want to go to Pico if it's only a few open trails though.

Tin

doesn't Pico have a pretty friendly woods skiing policy compared to Killington? If I recall they're never exactly "closed" unless the trail you need to access it is closed.

I'm actually keeping an eye on this not sure if it's gonna be K or Pico tomorrow. Don't want to go to Pico if it's only a few open trails though.

That is my worry for opening day, 7" in 24 hours and a bunch this week but not sure what they will do. Also $29 with 3 canned goods for tomorrow.