• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT proposing restrictions on Short Term rentals

boston_e

You misunderstood what kbroderick said. He said the rate is tied to the property use, which is true. It isn't a resident vs non-resident rate. It is a homestead vs non-homestead rate (usage meaning living there vs not living there). Not a "VT Resident" vs "Out of stater" rate. You can be a VT resident and still pay the non-homestead rate on a property in VT if that isn't your primary home (for example you could have a homestead property in Burlington that you live in and a condo at Killington that is a 2nd home. Even though you live in VT, you'd still pay the non-homestead rate on the Killington condo because you're living in your Burlington property).

This is correct. When I referred to "resident" vs "non-resident" i was meaning the house use (not if your primary residence is in another state). I probably did mis-read what he was saying.

flakeydog

Link to the actual tax rates by town for VT

There is even a spreadsheet you can download if you are into that sort of thing...

Of 259 towns listed, 87 had higher Homestead Rates (aka resident) than non-resident vs 172 higher. Better said, 141 out of 259 towns had non-homestead rates that were more than 1.02x (or 2% higher) than the homestead rates, or about 54%

Interestingly the worst offenders were not necessarily ski towns but very rural, very small towns with very few residents. Towns like Killington, Waitsfield, Warren, Fayston, Ludlow, Manchester, Woodstock, Wilmington, Londonderry, Jamaica were all either lower or less than 2% higher. Stowe was most significant outlier I saw at 1.097x the resident rate.

slatham

It was expected that H200, which would limit short term rentals to VT residents, would not go anywhere. There are 2 other bills that, amoung other things, propose a registry for short term rentals. These have significantly higher odds of moving forward.