• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT proposing restrictions on Short Term rentals

djd66

Has anyone heard about the new legislation? WTF are they thinking? This is being sent around from VRBO

Dear Property Owner or Manager,

The Vermont Legislature is considering legislation to severely restrict short-term vacation rentals. HB 200, sponsored by Representative Emilie Kornheiser, seeks to impose a primary residency requirement for all short-term rentals in Vermont.

HB 200 states that a person may not offer all or part of a dwelling unit as a short-term rental unless the person has occupied the dwelling unit as his or her primary residence for 270 days of the preceding year. If this bill passes, you would not be able to use a property as a short-term rental unless it is your primary home!

In response to this legislation, a group of Vermont short-term rental stakeholders has come together to form the Vermont Short-Term Rental Alliance (VTSTRA). VTSTRA is a coalition of current and prospective homeowners, property managers, and other individuals and businesses advocating for the legal protection of short-term rentals in Vermont.

We encourage you to join this alliance to stay in the loop and learn how you can make your voice heard in opposition to this legislation. To join VTSTRA, please click the button below:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't understand this at all. IMO short term rentals are safer than hotels where more people are located. and you really impact the people who own the 2nd homes. And why now, so far down the path of things starting to come back up?

kendo

I don't understand this at all. IMO short term rentals are safer than hotels where more people are located. and you really impact the people who own the 2nd homes. And why now, so far down the path of things starting to come back up?

Governor restricts travel. Lodging industry tanks. Legislation to the rescue...

"Q&A: Hotelier Hans van Wees brings attention to the plight of the hospitality industry - VTDigger" https://vtdigger.org/2020/12/17/qa-...o-the-plight-of-the-hospitality-industry/amp/

Last edited:

eatskisleep

This is insane. Punish the person who tries to help cover some of their mortgage or high VT property tax.

icecoast1

Sounds like such a typical Vermont thing to do. Reason 1000001 why I will never own property in that state

abc

It'll never pass. All those 2nd homo owners who count on renting their place out when they're not using it...

Oh wait, 2nd home owners don't vote. Or they will?

skithetrees

I don’t see how, if this bill passes, it withstands a legal challenge. On the plus side, if you are looking to buy in the next few years ...

LonghornSkier

I don’t see how, if this bill passes, it withstands a legal challenge. On the plus side, if you are looking to buy in the next few years ...
there are semi-similar rules on the books here in the city and legal challenges have been unsuccessful.

skithetrees

there are semi-similar rules on the books here in the city and legal challenges have been unsuccessful.
Arguably a big difference between a multi-tenant building in NYC and an individual residential home with space between neighbors. Looking at city condos, they are largely filled with full time residents whereas ski condos are typically vacant most of the time. It’s hard to articulate a legitimate government purpose and an absence of a discriminatory impact for such a law in VT.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I love Vermont for the beauty, weather, serenity, and of course, the skiing. Heck 80% of the people I encounter are wonderful too. But their politics from the local level to the top are the most batshit crazy out of all 50 states but is able to fly under the radar about it given its small population (speaking of...are they dead last now?...I know Wyoming has been booming).

drjeff

Wonder on the slim chance that this passes, if VT will have the same level of "enforcement" on this as they have done with Covid travel quarantine restrictions.... basically none....

JoeB-Z

Phil Scott will veto. All these places to stay will be busting at the seams with booking by the summer. A lot of pent up demand and money.

Zermatt

Wonder on the slim chance that this passes, if VT will have the same level of "enforcement" on this as they have done with Covid travel quarantine restrictions.... basically none....
For direct listings it would be very hard to enforce. For AirBnB, VRBO, etc they would clearly have to follow the law. Public companies cannot profit from knowingly breaking the law.

Jersey Skier

would any of you ever invest in an property in VT with things like this going on?
If you're using it for personal use only, not a big deal. Prices would drop if this ever passed. I'm sure there are many second home owners who have no intention of ever renting for one reason or another.

If you're just buying as an investment, just buy GME.

JimG.

Staff member
If you're using it for personal use only, not a big deal. Prices would drop if this ever passed. I'm sure there are many second home owners who have no intention of ever renting for one reason or another.

If you're just buying as an investment, just buy GME.
This is true. If I were to buy a second home I would not rent it out at all. I don't want other people to occupy my personal spaces. And I want my second home available to me at all times, at the drop of a hat. I have no desire to deal with renters.

And I still would not buy a property in VT because it's clear VT wants to make that kind of investment difficult.