• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Vally sold?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The hiking trail has a pretty decent grade as I remember. Very consistent blue pitch. But I think a nice ravine drops off to the east of the trail that would allow for steeper skiing and likely some really good tree skiing. That type of expansion would get me back to Waterville Valley for the first time in over 15 years.

abc

Hope the new owner bring some change in the attitude!

I've only been there once. They're the one and only resort on the Descente free lift ticket book that isn't actually free! It's a twofer instead. But what takes the cake was they made a big fuss about my trying to share it with another skier at the window! They had the nerve to be the standout of sneaking a not-really-free offer in a "free" deal against all other resorts. And then make good at enforcing that not-free condition!!!

I didn't find the skiing warrant any of that attitude. Seems to me the management of last season didn't even know how much they suck. :(

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I'm confused as of what the expansion possibilities are. How could they expand onto mt. techumseh? Thats natural forest if I am not mistaken.

A few photos and maps have been added:

Waterville Valley Expansion History

Very little available online in terms of concrete plans, though. I think it's safe to say that, with the financial issues Booth Creek's principal has been dealing with (Texas Rangers, Livermore Football Club), these plans would not happen.

skiberg

I took a looked at the expasion link. Sounds a bit to good to be true. If the permits are truly in place that would be something. If they cuold ever expand to those areas it would be scary. The terrain looks like soome of the best in NH. They have unbelievable potential. Easy access, close to Boston. They could create a dedictated western style resort village. But they lack snow and that will never change and the economic environment is pretty poor and may never get better for the ski industry. This would require tens, if not hundreds of millions. They may be able to do a Sugarloaf type Burnt mt. expansion, but don't think the woods their are as good for cutting glades and the snowpack is not consistent enough. I dont see it, but it is fun to dream.

bigbob

Did this permit also include approval for snowmaking storage ponds? I thought years ago they were supposed to get built, but never did.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Did this permit also include approval for snowmaking storage ponds? I thought years ago they were supposed to get built, but never did.

Separate permit I believe. I think Green and Tecumseh go back to the original Waterville Valley ownership days.

stomachdoc

It is my understanding that the new owners (or soon to be new owners) are a group of private investors with a lot of ski area experience under their belt. They have done extensive due diligence over the summer and have been negotiating with the town of Waterville Valley as to the ability to go forward with certain plans. Tom Corcoran's original plan for Waterville Valley included lift service from the center of "town," now known as Town Square, and I believe that concept is being revisited very avidly by the new owners. Very exciting prospects for Waterville Valley, which has served as a funding source for Booth Creek's projects in California and has been largely neglected by BC for years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A few photos and maps have been added:

Waterville Valley Expansion History

Very little available online in terms of concrete plans, though. I think it's safe to say that, with the financial issues Booth Creek's principal has been dealing with (Texas Rangers, Livermore Football Club), these plans would not happen.

Who is Booth Creeks principal? What is Livermore Football Club? Not Liverpool from the Premier is it? I ask because the Red Sox made a bid to buy Liverpool today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, let's recap. Booth Creek owned Cranmore.......sold. Owned Waterville.........sold. Owned Liverpool soccer......soon to be sold

I'm not buying a condo at Northstar

deadheadskier

Staff member
Your recap is missing the part when Booth Creek sold Loon to Boyne which seemed to be a fine deal for those condo owners.

no doubt

I'm sure their value went way up with the transfer from Booth Creek to Boyne.

my comments were in jest looking at the overall Booth Creek picture and all things say........dying company. Northstar is their premier resort.

bigbob

Your recap is missing the part when Booth Creek sold Loon to Boyne which seemed to be a fine deal for those condo owners.

Booth Creek sold or got out of the lease for Loon. They had already sold off the ownership/land lease to the REIT a few years back.

bigbob

It is my understanding that the new owners (or soon to be new owners) are a group of private investors with a lot of ski area experience under their belt. They have done extensive due diligence over the summer and have been negotiating with the town of Waterville Valley as to the ability to go forward with certain plans. Tom Corcoran's original plan for Waterville Valley included lift service from the center of "town," now known as Town Square, and I believe that concept is being revisited very avidly by the new owners. Very exciting prospects for Waterville Valley, which has served as a funding source for Booth Creek's projects in California and has been largely neglected by BC for years.

Is Les Otten included in this group of investors? He did own Waterville years ago when he bought SKI Ltd, but had to divest.

sull1102

Well the deal is definitely done. There is no more link or logo on the waterville.com website to Booth Creek. It use to be at the very bottom of the page, now it's all gone.