• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Jan 8th

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well, I'm bagging skiing this weekend, in anticipation of next weekend, where the plan is Burke club weekend Friday $25, Sat/Sun $40. Then over to the green spine.

Now, Winnchill is taunting/teasing me with his latest prognostication:

"6-day Forecast Discussion Updated for Thursday, January 5, 2012

High pressure early next week should give way to a much more interesting (and well deserved) storm pattern developing later next week--we could be in store for some more substantial storms!!!
Long range forecast / discussion...January 11 to 15
A slightly better pattern than much of this season so far--upper level troughing remains close by (from Hudson Bay through Eastern Canada and into the Northeast US) keeping us seasonably cold next week. We may still be dealing with a frontal boundary wavering nearby (the storm track curling just offshore) and watching potential storms developing along it--we'll see if they track through us or to our south but chances are they head out to sea without much development but we may still get clipped by one or two--at least we hope. A stronger, deeper trough of low pressure may develop through the Midwest towards the end of the week with some storminess as it does--we'll be watching the 13th/14th closely. After midmonth, we are looking at a possible pattern change to help pull that storm track a bit further west. While we may be dealing with a better chance of storms going through us, we may also be dealing with more mixing scenarios (icing)--CT"

Screw the mixing. I'm looking at higher els.

hammer

Last I heard on WCVB was that they expected the system next week to be an NCP event...but their focus is on Boston so hopefully it will stay cold enough up north.

Not a time to be a snow snob anymore...going this weekend regardless of the forecast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jesus Christ billski, get out and ski already instead of posting yet another thread about the weather.

I'm beginning to think you're more passionate about the weather than you are skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is the weather forum. You've authored 10 unique threads on the 1st page. Now get out and ski :daffy:

2knees

Jesus Christ billski, get out and ski already instead of posting yet another thread about the weather.

I'm beginning to think you're more passionate about the weather than you are skiing.

gotta agree with DHS here. its getting annoying.

4aprice

Some of you guys are giving up way too soon IMO. From Bastardi tweets for the next 3 weeks: "1st week mild, 2nd week wild, 3rd week vile"(as in major cold). Lots of signs pointing toward change. Remember 2006/2007. Go get your warm ups on what we have now and if JB is right things will be swinging our way.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

Some of you guys are giving up way too soon IMO. From Bastardi tweets for the next 3 weeks: "1st week mild, 2nd week wild, 3rd week vile"(as in major cold). Lots of signs pointing toward change. Remember 2006/2007. Go get your warm ups on what we have now and if JB is right things will be swinging our way.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Sounds like you are in the negotiation phase...but we can all hope.

drjeff

Billski, I think that you might just have to accept the fact that this season could be like pizza. Some pizza is great, but you don't find it that often. Most pizza is decent, and you can find it in many place. And some pizza isn't too good. But even the bad pizza is better than no pizza, so you might as well have at it, or else you could find yourself in a few months wishing that you had had more pizza this year ;)

4aprice

Sounds like you are in the negotiation phase...but we can all hope.

No I'm in the acceptance phase. It is what it is (I know, overused expression) I just refuse to give up hope. Hey even down here at the homestead in PA I will be skiing 4 new trails this weekend bringing it up to 24 of 34, not bad for the banana belt. I'm not a met but I pay attention to what they say and many are pointing to a change and to me that makes sense because we have been in the same pattern for a prolonged period of time and weather is not static.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

No I'm in the acceptance phase. It is what it is (I know, overused expression) I just refuse to give up hope. Hey even down here at the homestead in PA I will be skiing 4 new trails this weekend bringing it up to 24 of 34, not bad for the banana belt. I'm not a met but I pay attention to what they say and many are pointing to a change and to me that makes sense because we have been in the same pattern for a prolonged period of time and weather is not static.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Guess it depends on your definition of acceptance...acceptance to me means acknowledgement that skiing will suck for the whole winter.

I agree that this pattern can't hang around all winter. I just hope that the change happens sooner...

ScottySkis

Josh from singlechair blogs is forecasting some really good stuff for us especially after mid january

BenedictGomez

you might just have to accept the fact that this season could be like pizza. Some pizza is great, but you don't find it that often. Most pizza is decent, and you can find it in many place. And some pizza isn't too good. But even the bad pizza is better than no pizza

But some of us would rather have average linguini (45 degree golf) or great ossobuco (NFL playoffs) than bad pizza (40% of terrain open with thin spots).

I'm still praying that this sustained cold snap can get areas close to 100% open by MLK weekend. Probably a pipe dream without some help from the snow Gods.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Billski, I think that you might just have to accept the fact that this season could be like pizza. Some pizza is great, but you don't find it that often. Most pizza is decent, and you can find it in many place. And some pizza isn't too good. But even the bad pizza is better than no pizza, so you might as well have at it, or else you could find yourself in a few months wishing that you had had more pizza this year ;)

I have to agree with the good Doctor on this one! The pizza analogy got me, Jeff!

abc

Obsession is the mother of all inventions! ;)

Correct - Thx for the posts - I am too lazy/busy to go hunting for decent reports/ski-specific synopsis (sp?) - for me - this is a good place to check in from time to time for the quick (yet depressing) scoop....so Thx!
I agree!

abc

Guess it depends on your definition of acceptance...acceptance to me means acknowledgement that skiing will suck for the whole winter.
Acceptance means I acknowledge skiing will suck NOW. So I continue to enjoy more mountain biking for as long as it stays warm.

Nothing more, nothing less.

(and as soon as it snows, I will "accept" it's too slippery to mountain bike and will go skiing instead!)

drjeff

I have to agree with the good Doctor on this one! The pizza analogy got me, Jeff!

You could tell it was nearing my lunch time as I was typing that one ;) And on Thursday's my usual lunch spot is a local pizza place ;)

drjeff

But some of us would rather have average linguini (45 degree golf) or great ossobuco (NFL playoffs) than bad pizza (40% of terrain open with thin spots).

I'm still praying that this sustained cold snap can get areas close to 100% open by MLK weekend. Probably a pipe dream without some help from the snow Gods.

100% of snowmaking trails?? Or 100% of all trails?? The snowmaking trails hope is reasonable. The total trails might be a bit of a pipedream for many an area