• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain to cease operations

xwhaler

This is pure speculation, but I would think they would put it on Spout and run it up far enough that you could access the terrain park on Scrimshaw. That way racers doing training on Spout and freestylers accessing the terrain park and jib port could get to where they want to go without using the chairlift.

I agree that is the most logical place as it helps to give the kids/racers a dedicated lift. What it doesn't do is help step up beginners off the magic carpet before accessing the top. Spout is probably too steep for beginners to move directly from the carpet and while Scrimshaw/terrain park is more mellow and actually a great trail to step up to it will be the park so you can't send them there.

The only other place I could see a surface lift working would be just up from the carpet to access Blubber/Lower Ivory Run. There was a poma running up there back in the early 80's. Those runs are a perfect step up from the carpet and there's actually a short glade run in there that others may use.

The steep ramp off the double is often icy and not the best setup for those learning. Perhaps it would be better to re-do the ramp/top terimnal of the lift rather than put $ into installing another lift.

buellski

Spout is probably too steep for beginners to move directly from the carpet and while Scrimshaw/terrain park is more mellow and actually a great trail to step up to it will be the park so you can't send them there.

The way they have it laid out, there are three parts to the Scrimshaw trail. The top part has a few low boxes and rails that have plenty of room to skiers left to avoid. Below that, the trail basically splits into two. Skiers right has kickers and skiers left is pure beginner groomed goodness. Separating the two is the remnants of the old, feeble half pipe. That keeps the huckers from jumping into the beginners. Anyway, before they got Ivory Run opened last season, that's how the instructors would bring the advanced beginner groups in my son's afterschool program down the hill.

The only other place I could see a surface lift working would be just up from the carpet to access Blubber/Lower Ivory Run. There was a poma running up there back in the early 80's. Those runs are a perfect step up from the carpet and there's actually a short glade run in there that others may use.

That would be a good spot as well. I think the only problem there is they would need to significantly expand snowmaking on that side of the hill to make it work.

The steep ramp off the double is often icy and not the best setup for those learning. Perhaps it would be better to re-do the ramp/top terimnal of the lift rather than put $ into installing another lift.

I agree the ramp off of the double is a real challenge, but I've seen plenty of newbies rise up to it. I see a lot of kids actually look forward to it because they get to get a little air as they go over the berm at the bottom on their way to Ivory Run :) The biggest problem with reworking the top of the double is that it needs to be fairly high above the ground at the top so skiers going underneath don't get their heads taken off by dangling skis. Similarly, the ramp at the top has to drop the skiers down quickly enough that they don't get smacked in the back of the head by a chair. I'm not sure what they could do up there that wouldn't be a very expensive and major overhaul of the top of the lift.
Bottom line, I just love the fact that we are discussing this! :beer:

xwhaler

Also of note here is a a rough outline of where they plan/hope the $$ will go to

What is UVSSF raising money for?

To open for the 2013-2014 season $100,000 (by October 22)

Purchase of Whaleback properties $650,000

More than doubling snowmaking capacity $400,000

Purchase and installation of surface lift $200,000

Lodge and outbuilding improvements $100,000

Other capital improvements & equipment $150,000

Operating & capital reserve $400,000

xwhaler

Great news! Whaleback met their goal of raising $100k through donations and season pass sales which will allow them to open this season.

October 23 Update: Well, thanks to all of you for such tremendous support! We have $110,000 in the bank and counting!

skiNEwhere

That's great news for the little guy! Glad to see small ski area's can hang in there

thetrailboss

Staff member
Theres no ski mountain if there is no chairlift.

I read somewhere that the lift needs a lot of (expensive) work and that they were not going to run it and instead run the handle tow for the park and the other lower area. I know that their long term plan is to replace the double with something...they're thinking a surface lift but man that is steep. So I was asking for confirmation that they were going to run the double this year.

canobie#1

A surface lift wouldn't make sense. That means they would cut the trails apart with a line up. A chair lift is a much better choice.

skiNEwhere

I think the bottom is too steep for any surface lift as well, they'd have to run a line with a softer slope

thetrailboss

Staff member
A surface lift wouldn't make sense. That means they would cut the trails apart with a line up. A chair lift is a much better choice.

I'm sure that they would love a new chairlift. Are you going to donate them one? That is a major expense and one that generally non-profits can't afford, but there is an exception or two that are able to find enough generous donors to make it happen. I highly doubt that they have the resources to buy, install, and maintain a new chairlift.

They haven't elaborated any further, but I would assume that their intent was to run any "new" surface lift up the same line as the double...which might cross some traverses, but nothing major if my memory is right. The bigger concern is that

skiNEwhere

They haven't elaborated any further, but I would assume that their intent was to run any "new" surface lift up the same line as the double...which might cross some traverses, but nothing major if my memory is right. The bigger concern is that

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

That's a pretty steep slope

Maybe experts could hold on, but as far as beginners and intermediates, I think the intimidation factor alone would be enough to sway them somewhere else.

I'd love to see whaleback get funding like MRG did, but lets face it, it doesn't have the allure and mystique that MRG did. Granted the chair wouldn't be nearly as long, but I just don't see people being "commited to the cause" enough to fund a chair, and if I'm not mistaking, MRG also got a small grant for the single chair due to it's history