• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you drive ?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The quality problems with VWs have mostly come from the ones built in Mexico.
I'm fairly certain the 1997 Cabrio I used to have was a Mexico baby but that thing was great. I had it for 3 years with no major repairs (I believe it needed a starter at one point, but that was it; it was 4 years old when I bought it). The only reason why I got rid of it was that I was pregnant and there was no way I could put a passenger in the front with a rear-facing carseat in the back. It needed a new clutch and oxygen sensor when I traded it in. LOVED that car. Heck, I remember a time we bought a light fixture at Home Depot and had to cram it in the back to drive it home...thank goodness for the fact that I could drop the roof! LOL! It drove well in the winter, worked fine as a ski vehicle (pre-kids, of course), our dog loved riding in it with the top down (with her doggles on, naturally, to protect her eyes :D). Very reliable vehicle.

Its replacement is what I'm driving now: 1998 Chevy Blazer LT. I hate this truck. It fits the kids, dog, and my stuff, but it sucks butt. I've had it for 4.5 years now and it has all kinds of little things wrong with it that annoy the heck out of me; intermittent wipers work randomly (even with the recall fix performed); back wiper gets stuck sometimes; heat works intermittently; door locks on driver's side front and rear passenger side get stuck; tripometer resets if temps get below freezing (so every time I turn the truck off right now); air conditioning no longer works; the list goes on and on. It needs work but we haven't had the time or money to invest in it. I hate driving it; the ride is terrible and it wanders. I feel like a little kid pretending to drive sometimes. Still, it gets through the snow and it's nearly paid off. I'm stuck with it.

danny p

i had a 1998 VW GTI manufactured in Mexico that was uber reliable....only one major service because I drove through a deep puddle at 40 mph...needed a new wiring harness/tune up. Other than that I put 120,000 miles on it just replacing tires and windshield wiper blades. Sold it to a friend who put some new brakes and exhaust parts on it and is still running at 19x,xxx miles.

I drive a 2000 Maxima right now with 140,000 miles on it. Beast in the snow with the right tires. Probably will be buying a Subaru Outback in the next 6-8 months.

Geoff

The Mexican VW quality problem was like any other problematic car. You could own one that ran perfectly. You could have the misfortune of getting one that was put together poorly. In a large statistical sample, Mexican VWs were more likely to have problems than non-Mexican VWs. If you bought it used, chances are the issues caused by poor manufacturing quality control were resolved at the dealer. Like any other car, if you maintain it properly, it's more likely to run forever with few problems.

I was happier'n hell with my first VW. I got 130K out of the front brakes. I was getting 60K out of the rear brakes. The clutch and exhaust lasted the 141K I put on it. The window fell into the door and it had the coil pack recall but those were fixed at no cost and the window happened to fail on a sunny summer day rather than at the Hooksett toll in January. I had engine wiring harness and turbo plumbing problems but that can happen to any car that's 5 or 6 years old with 100K+ miles on it.

The only issue I have with my new one is a design defect where melting snow collects as ice inside the door jam. When you open the door, you bend the sheet metal. You don't know you have the problem until you open the door. That just happened to me on Friday. I have a minor body shop visit to deal with this spring since the lower front corner of the driver's door is bent out an inch. I should give my dealer a call to see if VW treats this as a warranty problem.

Glenn

I had a Mexican built 1994 Jetta GL 2.slow. I sold it with over 160k on the clock. it was really really reliable car. It needed a few things here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. I did headgasket myself in the garage one weekend at somepoint past 100k.