• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you drive ?

Grassi21

x2

Greg, buy the 4 door. You'll love it!

My 99 was lifted 2 inches and had 31 x 10.5" BF Goodrich ATs. Nothing crazy. But knowing what I know now I would go for 33s and something a bit more aggressive with the tires.

Grassi21

We are seriously considering a 4 door Wrangler for our next ride.

Makes a great little solo ski day vehicle. Its fun to drive. I would imagine the new hard tops make the noise a bit more tolerable. Its also tough to beat having the top down on a day like today.

Greg

Staff member
Makes a great little solo ski day vehicle. Its fun to drive. I would imagine the new hard tops make the noise a bit more tolerable. Its also tough to beat having the top down on a day like today.

My brother-in-law has the 4 door and it's actually pretty roomy inside. We're done at the 2 kids and as they are getting older we can get away with less and less so the 4 door Wrangler is not going to be too tight. It actually seems quite a bit bigger inside than my Cherokee.

Birdman829

I drive a 2000 Kia Sephia with 90,000 miles on it. I wouldn't recommend it :p

Seriously though it's not that bad. Just more of a beater than a real car. If it were a standard instead of an automatic I wouldn't hate it as much. As it is the auto lags a lot and the thing chugs up hills. Runs well and gets great mileage though. Fairly skinny tires so it's decent in the snow. Only cost me $1900 too after my other car was totaled for $2800.

Rushski

'06 Nissan Xterra. Great roof rack, plenty of power, so-so MPG, truck frame and can get through anything...

bvibert

Staff member
I've had several VW's, granted most of them were older ones (80's), and have never had any reliability issues with them at all. Sure they have some parts that are more expensive then others, but I haven't found that to be a big problem. I also haven't had any problems working on them, sure the newer ones are heavily computerized, but what newer car isn't? The Touareg is a pretty expensive, high-end vehicle, I wouldn't expect to be bringing it to my local corner shop if I needed service anyway..

If you get one I'm sure you'll be impressed with the ride and creature comforts.

As noted above, I'm currently in a '01 Passat wagon that I'm loving so far. 1.8T, 5 speed.

BTW, it's Volkswagen, not Volkswagon. ;)

WWF-VT

2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 - 110K miles with no major $$$ spent on service and repair. Other family vehicle is 2007 Outback. We will see over time to see how the Outback service and repair costs are.

VW Touareg was co-developed with Porsche and shares the same basic architecture with the Cayenne at significantly lower sticker price. Reputation for maintenance costs and gas mileage have not been impressive to date for the Touareg.

cbcbd

2002 Mazda Protege5

133K miles and still running great - only problems were caused by my stupidity.

Just put on a 1100cu in box on it for extra storage - I now can carry 3 bikes and one kayak at the same time - go rack manufacturers!!

Grassi21

2002 Mazda Protege5

133K miles and still running great - only problems were caused by my stupidity.

Just put on a 1100cu in box on it for extra storage - I now can carry 3 bikes and one kayak at the same time - go rack manufacturers!!

i need to start experimenting with my truck top combos. we have a thule evolution and now i want to get the kayak up there as well. trying to see if i can avoid an aftermarket rack and mount some j brackets to the factory bars. any suggestions? ;-)

cbcbd

i need to start experimenting with my truck top combos. we have a thule evolution and now i want to get the kayak up there as well. trying to see if i can avoid an aftermarket rack and mount some j brackets to the factory bars. any suggestions? ;-)
What car is it? I guess you're saying it has factory bars?

The J style racks (ie. thule hullaport) fit most factory racks directly without any retrofitting.
What kind of J brackets are you looking to put up there? If you can make something that looks like what Thule and Yakima already make, I don't see why not use it.

Or... until then, just use the foam blocks... which work great and are cheap.

tjf67

I drive a 2004 toyota 4runner. V-8 21mpg. I have had grand cherokee, wrangler, DiscoveryII. This by far gets the best mileage. The Grand Cherokee had the most balls. The discovery was the coolest looking worst mileage and most expensive to fix.

My buddy has the VW. He likes it a lot. It looks cool. He gets about 17 mpg.

skijay

After a 1yr wait I took delivery of one of the last built 2006 Scion Xa for the US market in May of 2007. This is my commuter car. Just before I took delivery of it I drove the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and a VW Rabbit. I liked the Scion Xa the best. It is kind of rare and quirky, but it is a blast to drive. I do manage 40 mpg on my commute with speeds at 55mph.

My other car is an aging Saturn VUE. I have been looking for a 2005 Liberty CDI with less than 10k and certified at a Chrysler / Jeep dealer. I also like the Volvo XC70 and have been looking at Volvo certified pre-owned. I decided for the VUE replacement I am most likely going to go with pre-owned.

ccskier

03 Lincoln Aviator and 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Aviator gets about 15mpg and cherokee about 20. I drive Cherokee, wife totes baby around in the lincoln. Have tv's/dvd's in both to keep the little guy happy. Just bought the Lincoln, fully loaded, V-8, 40k miles, captains chairs with a center console in back seat and third row if need be, got a great deal on it. Can't wait for ski season. Little guy and I will watch Apsen Extreme on Friday nights and one of his flicks on the way home Sunday nights. Should put about about 7-8k miles on car during the winter driving back and forth to Jay. Box on top with our gear we take back and forth and the dog rides in the back. Sure, it sucks gas, but I know they are safe in a bigger car as well as comfortable.

hammer

1. 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback, 144K miles, 22-23 MPG. Handles great in the snow IMO. Wish I could say I''ve had no problems, but I had to replace the head gaskets 6 months ago. I'm hoping it will last some time longer, but who knows...
  2. 2001 Toyota Highlander, 122K miles, 19-20 MPG. No major problems...worst thing repair-wise that I can recall was a seized brake caliper. Does fine in the snow but not as good as the Subaru.
I know others may not agree, but I'd stay away from US brand vehicles...the last one I had (Ford Exploder) was costing me a car payment a month in repairs at just over 100K miles.

ccskier

1. 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback, 144K miles, 22-23 MPG. Handles great in the snow IMO. Wish I could say I''ve had no problems, but I had to replace the head gaskets 6 months ago. I'm hoping it will last some time longer, but who knows...
  2. 2001 Toyota Highlander, 122K miles, 19-20 MPG. No major problems...worst thing repair-wise that I can recall was a seized brake caliper. Does fine in the snow but not as good as the Subaru.
I know others may not agree, but I'd stay away from US brand vehicles...the last one I had (Ford Exploder) was costing me a car payment a month in repairs at just over 100K miles.

I agree, I would never buy an american car, SUV yes. I had an exploder, hit 80k and all hell broke loose, hopefully this car won't. Usually get rid of cars after about 3 years anyways. Really would like an 08 Ford F250, 4 door diesel, loaded. It would actually be more fuel efficient, my buddies gets 18-20mpg. Just don't have any need for it, something like that needs to be justified besides going to the dump and towing around an 18 foot boat.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
After a 1yr wait I took delivery of one of the last built 2006 Scion Xa for the US market in May of 2007.

I've a 2005 xB with 40k that I abuse, and it loves it. 70% of the mileage is skiing and hang gliding trips. So that means snow, salt, and rutted dirt roads. It's made by Toyota and it shows. It's amazing what you can do with just 1.5 liters.

bigbog

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, 167k: the modded, off-pavement-mobile. Mods to clear/carry most anything and just reach 20mpg;-)

95 Honda Accord, 42.1k: ...inherited from grandparents who lived on their Ponderosa in north-central Maine and tended their 40'x60' garden and drove only when they needed to. (*Feels like a Formula_1 animal after driving in the lifted Xterra).

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
99 Saturn SC2 Coup at about 120k. Got it at 30k with only regular maintenance and no issues. My first Saturn (94) went from 128k to 204k with minimum maintenance as well. I got to laugh when people say they won't buy American, especially when you look at some of the crap coming in from overseas in the bargain market such as Kia, Hyundai, and Suzuki. Toss a pair of snow tires on a Saturn and it is fine in the winter despite the light weight. 35MPG certainly doesn't hurt.

Looking to splurge on my next auto purchase when the Saturn finally dies in two or three years. Probably a Subaru Legacy sedan which gets a respectable 30MPG. Though I hear so many people mention frequent and big maintenance bills for Subarus which scares me off a little. Wish there were more options in the less expensive AWD market, especially in the Sedan market.