• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What does everybody do for a living???

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm currently a stay-at-home-mom to a 2 year old and 3 month old. I work 24/7, 365 days a year with no pay, no time off, and definitely no sick days. I think I got 4 hrs of sleep in the last 24 hrs. Life was so much easier when I worked outside the home!

Before I left the working world, I was a secretary for a local Assessor's Office. 32.5 hrs/week for 8.5 years. I'm kind of missing working outside the home though (aside from my business as a Tastefully Simple Independent Consultant, which is a party here and there) so I'll probably be picking up an evening part-time job this fall. Nothing spectacular and certainly with very little responsibility since it won't be my "career." Just something to get out of the house and pick up a few bucks along the way.

Last edited:

ccskier

I don't know anyone who works 9 to 5. Maybe insurance or banking. I'm a 6.15 am to 5.30pm guy. If you can get 9 to 5 and make a nickle take it.

I actually work in insurance. My days are more like 7AM to 5-7PM. You don't work you don't make money.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I'm currently a stay-at-home-mom to a 2 year old and 3 month old. I work 24/7, 365 days a year with no pay, no time off, and definitely no sick days. I think I got 4 hrs of sleep in the last 24 hrs. Life was so much easier when I worked outside the home!

Before I left the working world, I was a secretary for a local Assessor's Office. 32.5 hrs/week for 8.5 years. I'm kind of missing working outside the home though (aside from my business as a Tastefully Simple Independent Consultant, which is a party here and there) so I'll probably be picking up an evening part-time job this fall. Nothing spectacular and certainly with very little responsibility since it won't be my "career." Just something to get out of the house and pick up a few bucks along the way.

A 2 yr old & a 3 month old! This isn't odd by any measure, but this must be pretty demanding. It will get easier.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Most of you owe me, or somone like me, thanks. If it wasn't for us, most of you wouldn't be where you are now. I am a TEACHER. Sure, I don't make a lot of money, but that is not why I chose to teach. It's kind of ironic that teachers make such a small amount of money by comparison, many of the people they give skills to end up making 2 to 3 times the amount they do (some more).

I am currently teaching 8th and 9th grade Math to students with learning disabilities.

It is a valid point that many teachers are under paid. They do it for other rewarding factors.

You certainly can't argue the time off though. I'd kill for the amount of time off that a teacher gets. I do know plenty of teachers that make a pretty fair living by augmenting their income by working summer jobs. You certainly won't make megabucks doing so, but by doing both you can make far above average wages.

Most of you owe me, or somone like me, thanks. If it wasn't for us, most of you wouldn't be where you are now. I am a TEACHER. Sure, I don't make a lot of money, but that is not why I chose to teach. It's kind of ironic that teachers make such a small amount of money by comparison, many of the people they give skills to end up making 2 to 3 times the amount they do (some more).

I am currently teaching 8th and 9th grade Math to students with learning disabilities.

But teachers only have to work 180 days a year...:smash:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It is a valid point that many teachers are under paid. They do it for other rewarding factors.

You certainly can't argue the time off though. I'd kill for the amount of time off that a teacher gets. I do know plenty of teachers that make a pretty fair living by augmenting their income by working summer jobs. You certainly won't make megabucks doing so, but by doing both you can make far above average wages.

Yes, and they have great benefits....and if working for a long time a tenured teacher in a nice upscale town can make a pretty nice salary...not to mention the pension. But granted, they ain't pulling in any investment banking income....

Last edited:

teachski

Website
teachski.com
But teachers only have to work 180 days a year...:smash:
I work MORE than 180 days a year thank you!

also,

Contrary to popular belief:
1. Teachers only get paid for the days that they work, many do not get checks over the summer but some
communities allow them to spread the pay they make out so they get a check through the summer (my
school does not allow this).
2. Teaching is not a fluff job, if you think so you try it.
3. Most teachers put in at least 4 more hours a day without pay (correcting and planning.)
4. There is NO such thing as tenure anymore.
5. Teachers have to take professional development courses annually (College courses and/or workshops
they pay for.)
6. Teachers have to renew their certification (and pay a fee and prove the courses they took to do so) every
4 to 5 years.
7. Benefits have been severely cut over the past few years. I pay 70/30 for BCBS HMO Blue.
have no dental and no other benefits. My retirement comes soley from my pay in weekly installments.
8. Having the summer "off" is no great deal, particularly if you do not like summer. Most teachers have to
get a summer job to make ends meet.

dmc

Those who can do...
Those who can't teach...

I have many friends who teach and they don't come across like you...
I hope your attitude doesn't trickle down into our "future".

wintersyndrome

I work MORE than 180 days a year thank you!

also,

Contrary to popular belief:
1. Teachers only get paid for the days that they work, many do not get checks over the summer but some
communities allow them to spread the pay they make out so they get a check through the summer (my
school does not allow this).
2. Teaching is not a fluff job, if you think so you try it.
3. Most teachers put in at least 4 more hours a day without pay (correcting and planning.)
4. There is NO such thing as tenure anymore.
5. Teachers have to take professional development courses annually (College courses and/or workshops
they pay for.)
6. Teachers have to renew their certification (and pay a fee and prove the courses they took to do so) every
4 to 5 years.
7. Benefits have been severely cut over the past few years. I pay 70/30 for BCBS HMO Blue.
have no dental and no other benefits. My retirement comes soley from my pay in weekly installments.
8. Having the summer "off" is no great deal, particularly if you do not like summer. Most teachers have to
get a summer job to make ends meet.

But you like your job, right? Because if you don't like it...you can always move to NY, NYS teachers get really good benefits.

wa-loaf

Those who can do...
Those who can't teach...

That's a real jerky thing to say. Do your friends know you have that opinion of them?

I have many friends who teach and they don't come across like you...
I hope your attitude doesn't trickle down into our "future".

I don't know why you guys are picking on Teachski. His first post came off a little preachy, but everything he's said is true. Teaching is hard and the pay sucks. Lots of teachers have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets because of budget cuts. If someone is teaching it's because they like to do it despite all the other crap. Thank him for his service and move along.

dmc

That's a real jerky thing to say. Do your friends know you have that opinion of them?

I don't know why you guys are picking on Teachski. His first post came off a little preachy, but everything he's said is true. Teaching is hard and the pay sucks. Lots of teachers have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets because of budget cuts. If someone is teaching it's because they like to do it despite all the other crap. Thank him for his service and move along.

My first attempt at humor was taken wrong by her... the second one - i forgot to include the smiley face.. So whatever... i make the same joke to friends that teach... they laugh.. It's the whole sense of humor thing... I guess thats not part of her class ciriculum... i actually do some teaching for my company.. I enjoy it...

I keep in touch with a couple my childhood teachers that stuck out in my mind.. They love hearing from me.. i thank them for the things they instilled in me...

I know tons of teachers... My sister is a teacher in Jersey.. She took a huge pay cut to do it because she felt that's what she wanted to do with her life... And I support her! She's stressed - but she's happy.. She holds a lot of responsibility... Whatever... She chose the path and accepts it.. She got her (supposedly nonexistant) tenure...

I have few friends that teach in NYC.. Manahattan,Queens and Brooklyn..
We talk about it all the time.. They have concerns.. One of my friends is constanly buying stuff for her classroom.. Another has it alot easier.. One works in NJ and it's different from what i hear about NYC... One worked in NYC and moved to NJ and found a great teaching job.. Another taught learning disabled kids near Philly for a while and now works in north jersey...

It's all different... But it's all tough... I know that - we all know that.. But the last thing I want to here is her whine about it... Because - as tough as she thinks she may have it.. Someone else has it far worse.. And if I here someone complain like that... It scares me... If your so upset about a job... You gotta find another one..
And teachers can find jobs in other areas... Maybe not SO easy but it can be done..

ComeBackMudPuddles

Anybody do something like drown kittens for a living so we can move on?

What I liked about this thread was how so many people with such different jobs are all interested in the same thing: skiing.

But, discussing or analyzing jobs and careers among strangers over the internet just doesn't seem to work out (partly because humor sometimes doesn't come across in black and white over a computer screen...and smilies only do so much).

teachski

Website
teachski.com
... But the last thing I want to here is her whine about it... Because - as tough as she thinks she may have it.. Someone else has it far worse.. And if I here someone complain like that... It scares me... If your so upset about a job... You gotta find another one..
And teachers can find jobs in other areas... Maybe not SO easy but it can be done..

I NEVER once complained about my job, that's the funny thing here. I said that I truly liked my job. I said that I was not doing it for the pay.

I made the statements I did to let people know that teaching is not the easy, do nothing and get everything job that some think. I did not even mention everything I could have there. I too buy supplies for my classroom. I also buy notebooks for my students because they come to school without any. I have bought clothing for some of the kids. One little girl a couple years ago was walking to and from school in the middle of the coldest time in winter with only a light fleece warm up. I asked her where her coat was and she told me that her father said that he wasn't going to buy her one, he bought her one the year before and it was not his fault she grew and it didn't fit her anymore. I took her and bought one for her. I am not complaining here, please understand that. I just wanted people to know that teaching is not the free ride some seem to think it is.

dmc

I too buy supplies for my classroom. I also buy notebooks for my students because they come to school without any. I have bought clothing for some of the kids. One little girl a couple years ago was walking to and from school in the middle of the coldest time in winter with only a light fleece warm up. I asked her where her coat was and she told me that her father said that he wasn't going to buy her one, he bought her one the year before and it was not his fault she grew and it didn't fit her anymore. I took her and bought one for her.

For this - I commend you.

Hawkshot99

Yea if you want some good pay as a teacher teachski come move to NY. both my parents were public school teachers and retired spring of 07'. My mom was at the top of her pay scale and was making just short of 90k with excellent benefits, so its not that rough, but when she started off she really struggled to get by. My dad made less but he wasn't in as well off of a area. Both of them put in a ton of hours after school closed, so it is a stressful jib, but those vacations are very nice. I would have gladly gone into teaching if it wasn't for that whole teaching part, and snotty kids. I am always amazed at what some of the kids I went to school with and adults who weren't teachers thought were the truths of teaching but they were far from the truth.