• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What $hit show!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The freezing drizzle ends tonight. Hopefully the higher el's will miss it. The timing isn't too bad, the groomers should crunch it up tonight. The groomers can probably work on trails they couldn't touch when the snow was soft with a small base. So the snow making gets rocking, but I don't anticipate getting many more trails online until the weekend. The pent-up demand is all over the place, especially with those locked and loaded vacationers filling the condos and all the others fleeing north. The "7 inches" of snow had them all dreaming of powder across a wide range of trails. Whatever they grind and groom will get scraped down quickly. I'm heading up for a couple days on Sunday/Monday. Snow is expected to be an inch or two each day until next week in No. VT. Next week will be much better.

machski

Sunday River is open from White Cap to Jordan today. Still a bit limited but options and room to shift around. Only real bottle neck is into Aurora with only Paradigm access. That should be relieved in the next day or so when Spruce opens granting a second access route.

drjeff

Christmas week IMHO is the one week of year when you are likely to see MULTIPLE people a day wearing their rented ski boots on the WRONG feet!! 'Nuff said about the sh$t show factor this week!

Domeskier

I was struck by a skier for the first time today (Yes, I was a raging asshole to a 15 year old racer who blamed me for standing on the side of the trail "in the way of his jump")

Has he posted an annotated video of the incident yet?

Tin

Has he posted an annotated video of the incident yet?

I actually looked for a GoPro prior to raging. It would only show him launching off a jump at a high rate of speed that would have thrown him directly into the woods and a snowmaking pipe. I just happen to be standing on the edge of the trail a solid 60' away from the jump. Hope he learned to look before jumping so he doesn't take out anyone, or himself, out.

Last edited:

dlague

With the limited terrain everyone has and vacation, trails are packed with no lines. Cannon was just ludicrous today.

Well I was a lot nicer in my trip report! My thoughts were such that where crowds could disperse it was fine (Upper Gremlin, Rock Garden and Extension). Big Link and Missing Link were OK. Middle Cannon and Spookie called for skates and the shit show was on Gremlin. You have to admit, you wanted to take down the Asshole that split us while stopped on the side of Gremilin.

"regular" customers made up a small portion of the problem. Frigg'n FSC, Holderness, and other race clubs made it brutal. I understand that they are stuck with the same limited terrain we are but there should be some consideration given to everyone else. For example if it's cool for them to take over whole terrain areas during the mid-season, then it should be equally cool to exclude them from general areas during early-season.

It is also the ski school programs. Three mush have been 200+ kids in ski school going around in groups. Like mini flood gates being released snaking down the trail.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was struck by a skier for the first time today (Yes, I was a raging asshole to a 15 year old racer who blamed me for standing on the side of the trail "in the way of his jump") then 50' later my GF was hit by a border. Happy conditions were good, made up for it.

Lay low time.

"In the way of his jump". Awesome line. One has to check before jumping....

Tin

One also has to make sure they aren't stopping below the crest of a hill where they can't be seen from above. I'm not saying that was an issue here but it is impossible to see the area directly below some jumps.

Absolutely agree with this. Sometimes I think those sort of collisions are 50/50 responsibility.

He just a school racer zipping around at unsafe speeds given the amount of traffic on the hill. When my feet came up from under me my skis almost hit a snowboarder standing a few feet away in the head/neck area. Would have been pretty messy and grateful that did not happen.

Smellytele

Pats Peak was ski on with limited people on the trails. Not much open but what was was in good shape. After lunch today the triple went down and only the peak double was open and the line sucked. took one run after lunch (1:30-2) and left.

Puck it

Apparently the culprit was a highly intoxicated man in a blue jacket. This same individual was also reportedly terrifying teenagers on the lifts.
I heard he drives this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 319

HouseQuinn

Sunday River is open from White Cap to Jordan today. Still a bit limited but options and room to shift around. Only real bottle neck is into Aurora with only Paradigm access. That should be relieved in the next day or so when Spruce opens granting a second access route.

It was real nice today. Glad I drove the extra hour past the NH areas. Some lines looked rough but I was solo and don't think I ever waited more tha 5 minutes. The Locke triple did stop FOUR times on one trip though.

yeggous

Attitash has been great the last couple of days. Soft snow with great bumps in the afternoon. I was very pleased. Illusion has one section that is a sheet of ice, but that is the only spot on either mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app