• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the world is going on at wildcat…

slatham

Wow, that is lame. Especially with much better snowmaking weather now for a couple of weeks.

snoseek

It will be interesting to see how things pan out if/when ullr is in control. Are they going to wait until things are up to a certain standard to open or leave it be and pull the rope. Clearly they don't have the staff to groom the place put like normal. I'm ok with a total natural experience at this point, t2b lynx laps on natural ungroomed snow amongst other tails should make for good times. I hope they don't fucking blow it.

Also it's gonna be a super short spring up there unless the snow gods go bonkers.

MadKitty

It will be interesting to see how things pan out if/when ullr is in control. Are they going to wait until things are up to a certain standard to open or leave it be and pull the rope. Clearly they don't have the staff to groom the place put like normal. I'm ok with a total natural experience at this point, t2b lynx laps on natural ungroomed snow amongst other tails should make for good times. I hope they don't fucking blow it.

Also it's gonna be a super short spring up there unless the snow gods go bonkers.
They're not enforcing rope ducking. Upper wc has been skiable (by wc standards lol) for a few weeks. They also have a hard close date of April 10.

eatskisleep

They're not enforcing rope ducking. Upper wc has been skiable (by wc standards lol) for a few weeks. They also have a hard close date of April 10.
That’s at least one good thing about Vail at WC, I heard at Stowe they don’t mess around with that though

MadKitty

That’s at least one good thing about Vail at WC, I heard at Stowe they don’t mess around with that though
I've heard they're backed off on enforcement this year at stowe. They also have a lack of patrol/staff problem, though nothing like NH vail areas.

pinion

Snowmaking crews have finished up on Lynx... whales waiting to be pushed out for the weekend. Upper Catapult getting the snowmaking treatment now and likely groomed out by the weekend. Add some extra inches of fresh stuff over this coming weekend and Wildcat might end up in pretty good shape for February break. Fingers crossed.

MLK Weekend storm helped WC a bit and let them open up a bunch of terrain. Since my son does All Mountain Team in the morning I am usually skiing Singles line until he's out and on the ride up with others I get a bunch of different opinions, many from first-timers, etc coming to WC because of the Epic pass.

Most are great convos: "views here are amazing", "I love that they dropped ropes on so many trails and let us ski natural snow", "Wildcat character/vibe is great compared to my local hill".

Some are a bit more concerning: "I can't believe they opened up that trail with thin cover" [Thin Cover sign clearly displayed btw], "Why is there only one green off the top", "this lift should have a bubble", etc.

Families that show up just to ski in a mob of other people on Polecat (Upper Polecat routinely skied off by 10:30a) must leave with a REALLY bad taste in their mouth.

Hawk

Speaking of Tim Kelley, what happened at NECN. He was suddenly gone after being there like 26 years. He was the only one that gave good ski country coverage.

drjeff

Speaking of Tim Kelley, what happened at NECN. He was suddenly gone after being there like 26 years. He was the only one that gave good ski country coverage.
If I recall correctly, it seemed like his own personal political views that he expressed from time to time on his own social media feeds weren't always in agreement with those of the NECN/NBC/MSNBC mothership corporate views/narratives......

machski

Storm is constantly shifting to a miss and I do not like what is showing up at the end of the 7 day. If the miss pans out and the end of 7 day too, will test Vail's commitment to product.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Storm is constantly shifting to a miss and I do not like what is showing up at the end of the 7 day. If the miss pans out and the end of 7 day too, will test Vail's commitment to product.

Eh. By that time we'll be in early February. Historically if we get a rain event at that point Sugarbush will not resurface. Jay will not resurface. Killington probably just a handful of trails. Wildcat wouldn't resurface much under Peaks given that scenario.

snoseek

Eh. By that time we'll be in early February. Historically if we get a rain event at that point Sugarbush will not resurface. Jay will not resurface. Killington probably just a handful of trails. Wildcat wouldn't resurface much under Peaks given that scenario.
Lol you have to surface first in order to resurface. Snowmaking has been minimal as we all know. Current trail count would be torched real quick with a bit of rain. Most of the stuff is open on super thin cover.

2Planker

Had breakfast @ The Shack w/ a couple of the imported snomakers from Heavenly who worked last night.
Their words were pretty harsh on the state of WC's system. But I think we already knew that....

"We're gonna push it hard and hope that it doesn't blow again. All we really need is 2-3 more quality weeks"

eatskisleep

Had breakfast @ The Shack w/ a couple of the imported snomakers from Heavenly who worked last night.
Their words were pretty harsh on the state of WC's system. But I think we already knew that....

"We're gonna push it hard and hope that it doesn't blow again. All we really need is 2-3 more quality weeks"
A for effort from the workers themselves. F for Vail for waiting too long.