• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the world is going on at wildcat…

pinion

Snowmaking is starting to make an impact. Upper Catapult is groomed out and skiing well, as is Middle and Lower Lynx. Bobcat pod is occasionally groomed as well.

This past storm helped alot. Wind hasn't helped the upper mountain at all, but there are sweet pockets of snow scattered around the bottom 2/3. Official total I think is 12" but with drifts it "feels" like more. And if the impending storm this week stays the course then Wildcat should be all set with coverage through most of Feb. Operational issues still exist (I would be skeptical that Upper Lynx gets opened - but if it does then sending a beer care package to snowmaking team), and not having Bobcat working at all means more complete wind holds. I would assume they'll work out the kinks on that lift and get it ready for the next time they can't spin Express/Tomcat.

Staff at the Cat remains A+. The extra snowmakers - though arguably too little too late - is making a positive difference. February should be a good stretch of skiing. 🤞

Last edited:

eatskisleep

Can I use these in place of Epic Pass?

puckoach

Can I use these in place of Epic Pass?
You might get just as LITTLE sking as an Epic at wildcat....

Actually remember those tickets. Would love to get one, if somebody buys the lot!

pinion

Anyone at the Cat today? I had to head home last night. Wondering if they managed to get Upper Polecat groomed out and if Middle Wildcat is still a field of downed skiers?

Yesterday was great powder - the claimed 22” seemed legit - and Middle/Lower Polecat of the Tomcat was very serene due to no access to it from the quad. Did that twice with my dad and kids and thought “maybe we’ll try Bobcat”, and Middle Wildcat was such a shitshow that that was it for my dad for the day. Felt bad, and pretty pissed that so many people got dumped off the quad and into that section of the mountain. But hey, at least the lifts are running? Lift lines were never insane either.

After the old man was done I burned through Wildcat, Lift Lion/Black Cat, and some trees before ending around 2p with a casual lap down Al’s to Catenary/Cougar which was almost untouched and there was nobody in that area. Might be my new non-tree go to when it’s crowded since plenty of folks finding solace on Lower Catapult, Alleycat, and Panther the past 2 weekends.

Edd

About the bartenders at Wildcat, a friend ran into Heather; she’s working at the Parka. She said Kelly is working at a pot farm now 😆, which sounds like a great fit. Apparently Sara is still there on weekends. She said the GM made the decision to close the bar so not sure if that’s a staffing issue.

I remain baffled at Vail’s unwillingness to have Wildcat’s bar open along with Sunapee’s during the week.

Edd

Today’s report says Tomcat and Bobcat open but not the Express. During NH vacation week?

Edit: They just tweeted that it’s open, which contradicts the website but ok.

Last edited:

pinion

Today’s report says Tomcat and Bobcat open but not the Express. During NH vacation week?

Edit: They just tweeted that it’s open, which contradicts the website but ok.
@WildcatMtnAlerts Twitter account is usually correct in their lift status, and they are timely in announcing wind holds :) Still no snow report though...

They ran Bobcat all last week which was a plus IMO. Lower Catapult and Cheetah were skiing insanely well over this past weekend.

Edd

So hit Wildcat for the first time this season. Not super busy considering it was NH vacation week. Conditions are firm, with plenty of ice patches and rocks to watch out for on groomers. Wild Kitten is ungroomed with thin cover, interesting skiing. Polecat was the closest to normal, but very firm. Lynx kinda sketchy for the first half, gets better down low. They need snow bad, and I suspect the guns are gone for the season. Best snow I found was on Stray Cat.

The lodge: Shitty vibe, not sure music was even playing. The upper floor was roped off, so no bar at all. Everyone was bottlenecked on the first floor, forced to drink canned beer or Trulys. Really unnecessary. At a minimum, they could open the seating on the second floor so that people could spread out. Would only cost them to clean the tables later. Yesterday was too chilly for parking lot or else that's definitely what we would have done.

The conditions on the hill were uninspiring, but the lodge was flat out depressing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would be infuriated by the lodge situation. To destroy what was always a great atmosphere is downright criminal.

Reactions: Edd

snoseek

I would be infuriated by the lodge situation. To destroy what was always a great atmosphere is downright criminal.
It goes along nicely with my theme this winter of not giving them a dollar aside from the pass but it makes zero sense to have that upper level closed. Also god forbid someone wants to eat their packed lunch inside...I guess we don't do that anymore because covid.

It's gonna be a short spring up at the cat

2Planker

The days of skiing into May are long gone at the Cat.
Their closing down plan is all laid out and many people are done in the next few weeks.

No way they'll make it to 4/18 MA school Vac week

Mainer

The vibe at atticat is not very inviting this year, last year was strangely more welcoming. They can probably make enough or close too ( maybe make a profit) to break even on weekdays if they make the bars a desirable place to hang out. It’s sucks so bad in the lodges this year, I make a point of not spending money in there. It’s a strange marketing strategy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Cat must run leaner midweek, I'd run F&B out of the pub only and close the cafeteria. I bet that would do more revenue given the typical midweek clientele. Adults, not families. People who want to have a few beers and better than cafeteria food.

Katahdin

Are things as ugly as the webcam and trail count would seem to indicate? Looks like Polecat and Catapult to Bobcat is the only thing left after the most recent weather?

pinion

9B1740B8-9CEC-4498-AF91-D1F7148D5723.jpeg
Hey, at least it’s snowing now 🤣

Polecat and Catapult/Bobcat are all that’s left. Decent coverage and they are skiing well enough all things considered.

Last edited:

oldfartrider

I was at Sunday River yesterday, left early before noon. Drove right by Wildcat and spent the afternoon at Attitash. What was open there was actually in really nice shape with good coverage. Had a fun afternoon.

jimk

View attachment 53593
Hey, at least it’s snowing now 🤣

Polecat and Catapult/Bobcat are all that’s left. Decent coverage and they are skiing well enough all things considered.

Oh my! I've been to Wildcat on three occasions over the years for a day or two each time; 1995, 2005, and most recently early March 2010, when it looked like this:
wildcat trail sign.jpeg

wildcat vince mt wash.jpeg
wildcat groomer under HSQ.jpeg

Loved Wildcat. Always tell people it's one of my favorites (maybe THE favorite) in the east. Hope it makes a good comeback in future years!