• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is the North East's Craziest inbbounds territory? Do we have inbound killer area

MidnightJester

Was wondering about our North East mountains and inbounds danger areas. Most areas I have experienced or found in the NE on mountain are roped off or out of bounds if really dangerous. "AS in you mess up here you are for sure having a BAD/Critical injury or Death" Some can be found in non-legal areas. When I took my trip out West It was a wild surprise to find inbound areas that you ride at total risk. I Mean the lift told you before you got on it even that it was Dangerous and beyond Black level. DO we have that terrain in our areas. Most of it comes from Major cliff drops we don't really have. Thanks.

Puck it

Was wondering about our North East mountains and inbounds danger areas. Most areas I have experienced or found in the NE on mountain are roped off or out of bounds if really dangerous. "AS in you mess up here you are for sure having a BAD/Critical injury or Death" Some can be found in non-legal areas. When I took my trip out West It was a wild surprise to find inbound areas that you ride at total risk. I Mean the lift told you before you got on it even that it was Dangerous and beyond Black level. DO we have that terrain in our areas. Most of it comes from Major cliff drops we don't really have. Thanks.

Cannon does but not on the map!

Riverskier

White Heat- The steepest longest lift served trail in the East!

That and Sugarloaf just acquired some terrain on the back side of the mountain that will be accessed via a backcountry style gate. I have never skied back there, but from what I understand it could be reasonably considered "extreme terrain".

Huck_It_Baby

Stowe, Smuggs and Jay all have solid terrain in bounds and even better out of bounds. You can find steep chutes and cliffs at all 3.

KevinF

Define "inbounds" -- do you mean trails that are "on the map" or stuff that's within the ski areas physical boundaries, but isn't part of an official trail?

Many places are now boundary-to-boundary -- i.e., everything from top-to-bottom, left-most-to-right-most trail is "in bounds". I'm no expert on Stowe's trees, but I've found stuff in the in-bounds trees that's far harder than anything on the trail map.

MadMadWorld

The area between Paradise and the top of the double at MRG will put hair on your chest.

Last edited:

Angus

No, have felt a couple of times life (or that of my ski partner) was at risk out west but never in East but that's not necessarily a bad thing.