• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Mountain/Resort Markets Themselves the Best?

bdfreetuna

Bolton Valley being the loser here. Best ski area which somehow is almost always forgotten.

MRG, Sugarloaf, Jay... as people have said. Actually good marketing. Nobody in NH I would consider a leader in marketing.

Stratton and Okemo are good but not highest tier marketing like the above. Magic is doing well word of mouth/ grassroots style but I don't know how much that translates into them actually making money.

Stowe does a great job too I just tend to ignore it. Look out for Burke to step up their marketing game now that Jay owns it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The MRG sticker has been in outer space! (one of the shareholders was an astronaut)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

big props for that, but I doubt any other mountain's logo sticker has been seen around the world as much as Sugarloaf/USA

MadMadWorld

Bolton Valley being the loser here. Best ski area which somehow is almost always forgotten.

MRG, Sugarloaf, Jay... as people have said. Actually good marketing. Nobody in NH I would consider a leader in marketing.

Stratton and Okemo are good but not highest tier marketing like the above. Magic is doing well word of mouth/ grassroots style but I don't know how much that translates into them actually making money.

Stowe does a great job too I just tend to ignore it. Look out for Burke to step up their marketing game now that Jay owns it.

I think Bretton Woods is getting there. They have done a great job over the last few years

Scruffy

To be honest, I dont think anywhere back east compares to the big dogs of marketing out West, notably Vail, Aspen, Squaw, Jackson, etc.

Well yeah, they are marketing to a far wider market; South East, Mid West, South West and West, not to mention picking up the eastern skiers that venture west. The NE ski resorts don't expect to get too many skiers coming from the west to ski ice.

Scruffy

big props for that, but I doubt any other mountain's logo sticker has been seen around the world as much as Sugarloaf/USA

Maybe, but MGR has been around the globe also:

http://www.letsplantrips.com/articles/mad_river_glen_skiing_in_the_moment.php
The ‘Ski It If You Can’ bumper sticker has been spotted all over the globe (and above it!), a fact that certainly contributes to its fame. Skiers relaxing in General Stark’s Pub after a day of skiing will notice a collage of bumper sticker photos and a world map with pins marking these sticker sightings. The photos range from shots of a sticker on the canopy of a US Air Force F-16 to the tram at Jackson Hole. Other highlights include photos from the World Elephant Polo Championships in Nepal, the Great Wall of China, the DMZ in Korea, the Galapagos Islands, the gates of the Guinness Brewery in Dublin, the Tower of London, Madagascar, various South Pacific and Caribbean islands, bars in Vietnam and Kosovo, the summits of Mt. Kilimanjaro (there’s more than one there) and Mt. McKinley, along with dozens from ski areas from New Zealand to New Jersey. The most famous without a doubt is the one of shareholder (and astronaut), Cady Coleman, from inside the space shuttle.”

snowmonster

I'd say that both the Loaf and MRG stickers are well-travelled. Whenever I travel back to my tropical island home, I always walk around with both the Loaf and MRG stickers and take photos of them in random exotic places like beaches, waterfalls, coral reefs, public markets, etc. My father's car back home has a sugarloaf/usa sticker.

The Sugarloaf Shop still has a boatload of sugarloaf/usa stickers for the old-school set. They're trying to get rid off them for a song.

There's a new photo of Cady Coleman from outer space. She's wearing an MRG single chair t-shirt.

Riverskier

It isn't necessarily a reflection of any recent marketing, but just about EVERYBODY, skier or not, has heard of Vail and Aspen. They would clearly have the highest name recognition of any US resorts.