• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What ski for me?

eatskisleep

I am about 5 foot 7 inches.
-I hope to start ski racing this winter
-I am a very agressive skier, blue squares are boring unless bumped up, I go for the diamonds
-I am awful at moguls on my 150cm Crossmax's, so maybe a ski that can ski moguls too
-I loooooooovvvvvvveeeeeeeee to ski in the woods
-Going fast is fun, but slow on tough stuff is fun too.

Thanks for any help.

ChileMass

Giving this a bump back up to the top -

Just went on Head's website and they have a ski selection section called "Mount Head" (OK, enough with the 8th grade snickers, you guys.....). It asks you what kind of skier you are, what type of terrain you like to ski, height, weight, etc., and then of course Head tries to sell you skis, boots and bindings.

My interest is that the skis selected for me are typically 155-185cm, and I haven't skied on boards that short since elementary school. I'll admit I'm a bit of a fossil, because I still ski on very traditional GS skis that measure 201cm. But - I am looking for stability at high speeds cuz I like to go ZOOOOOOM. I am likely in the market for a new pair this winter, and am looking for input on what to expect with new ski technology, specifically the shorter length. Anyone out there who has recently transitioned from longer to shorter and has good or bad feedback is appreciated.

My specs - 5' 10", 220 lbs; advanced/expert skier; like to cruise fast on groomed steep stuff, occasional bumps/OOB.

http://www.head.com/ski/152_ENG_HTML.php

skican

Head skis! I am 5 ft 6 and ski on the womens cyber lights. I love my skis!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
if you're a racer, you can't go wrong with volkls. awesome skis. not sure what they're latest models are, but i ski on a pair of volkl p50 motions. definitely not my top volkl choice for a race ski (they had a p50 GS and slalom model, iirc) but the motions are solid all mountain skis they tear up groomers. not a ton of float in the pow and a tad heavy in the bumps and trees, but if you're a strong physical skier then they are a perfect fit.

depending on the level of racing you are doing, you might want to consider two pairs of skis as you're looking at two completely different styles of skis for racing vs. woods/bumps/stumps/etc. something like my p50 motion can do it all, but it surely isn't a top line race ski and requires power to make quick snappy turns off piste. heard nothing but good things about the supersports too, but again not volkl's top race ski. i can't really comment on other brands, but i would avoid rossignol, i stapped a pair of 9x 9.9's a while back and wasn't satisfied with their performance as a race ski. then again, their brand might have developed since then.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Agree with the Volkls! I have the 6* Supersport, not a race ski, more of a performance all mountain, but from them I can imagine that the race ski must be great too. They are quick and snappy on the groomed, which a race course is. I haven't ventured off piste too much though. The current trend seems to be a little shorter than what you would have skied say even 5 years ago, but if you have a sales person you can trust I am sure they will guide you to the right length.

Greg

Staff member
I'm still considering the Volkl 5 Star as my next ski. Same sidecut as the 6 Star, but a little softer and probably more forgiving for me in the bumps.

ChileMass

My question is not so much about specific brands or models, but rather about using a shorter ski in general. The 2 times I have demo-ed shaped skis, I found them to be "grabby" when going slow and unstable at high speeds due to the shorter length. I mean, I see FIS giant slalom skiers on TV on 185cm skis and wonder if that's really possible. :eek:

Can anyone direct me towards a pair or style of ski that is stable at high speeds and also doesn't try to turn itself at lower speeds? (I guess I am looking for specific recommendations after all......).

jwind

Another vote for the Volkl's! these skis are not only bullet proof but they just scream ski me hard. I not sure if they still make the G3 but that a great all-round board that'll ski like a race ski. It's quick light but rips nice GS turns and is just versatile enough to ski some bump.

...and if bumps are not ~that~ important to you then i would check out the atomic line. Yet another rock solid line of skis IMO. I've got the 10.ex and they are some beefy ski but VERY light, and extremely stable.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
ChileMass said:
My question is not so much about specific brands or models, but rather about using a shorter ski in general. The 2 times I have demo-ed shaped skis, I found them to be "grabby" when going slow and unstable at high speeds due to the shorter length. I mean, I see FIS giant slalom skiers on TV on 185cm skis and wonder if that's really possible. :eek:

Actually, I went with a shorter ski. On the "straight skis" I was on a 195 to 200cm ski. My first 2 pair of "shaped" skis were 177cm. The pair I bought last year is a 161cm. I laughed when they suggested the size, then I demoed it at several different lengths(including a shorter one) and liked this size.

The best bet is to find skis you are interested in and demo them in a variety of lengths. It's best to demo several brands and models if you can.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
all racers throughout the world on all levels including pro have been going shorter and shorter. shorter is definitely not less stable, though i think you can reach a point of diminishing returns. i've lowered my ski length by 20cm's over the past 10 years and am looking to go slightly shorter again when i buy another ski.

tree_skier

I ski on Head cyber tii (gs race) 183cm. It is an awesome ride. Stable at any speed, no problem tracking straight. On downside is that you need to be very much on in the bumps and woods, they wouldn't be my first choice for a bump ski. Like any good race ski they are not forgiving if you get back, even a little, prepare to go straight.
Back in the good old days I raced on a 210 gs and 207 sl. I would even consider going shorter on my next boards

M

medmarkco

This is for ChileMass if your're still watching this thread.

Shorter is a blast! Like you, I skied 205-210's since the 1970's, but dropped to a 180cm Atomic 9.16 slalom ski about 6-7 years ago. They are great for fall line skiing and in the East great for the hard (ice) conditions so often encountered. I also like them for all mountain skiing, although the narrow waist requires work in the deep stuff when the pitch isn't steep.

Three years ago I dropped to 150cm Atomic SL:11\SL:9 and haven't skied any of my other skis since. I'm 6,1 220lbs so there isn't a lot of ski to recover with if you get forward\back, but stay centered and these puppies slice an arc tighter than Zorro. I use them for all mountain, but ski primarily on the hard stuff. The SL:9 is softer and will work in bumps, but there are definitely better bump skis. The SL:11 holds like a vice on the hardest surfaces. For kicks, I race trained a GS course for three days last year with the 150's. The SL:9's were a little un-nerving at speed, but switched to the SL:11's and felt completely comfortable letting them run. The 11's are much stiffer. Finally I took the SL:9's to Whistler in May and had to work my tush off to ski through the knee+ deep heavy spring snow in the bowls. Almost impossible to keep such a short ski anywhere near the top of the heavy stuff. The steeps at Whistler are "pucker steep", so kept me moving down the mountain, but really had to pull the tips up hard. My legs were jelly at the end of every day.

The shorties really rock on the hardstuff and groomed trails. The g-forces you can generate in turns are addicting. Roll the shorter skis on edge and keep 'em locked up and you'll see railroad tracks behind you the whole way down. They have to be skied all the time- no coasting.

So, my point is that you can go very short and maintain stability if you stay centered and drive'em. Running gates is a whole lot of fun because shorties are so fast edge to edge. However, anything less than 165cm is now illegal for FIS (and most likely USSA) sanctioned men's slalom events. Demo a pair and see what you think. Have fun!

ChileMass

medmarkco - thanks for the detailed answer. We fossils learn slowly and I appreciate your insights as I consider transitioning to a shorter set of skis this winter. My concern is your statement that the shorties "have to be skied all the time - no coasting". Sounds hard on the legs. As I get to my mid-40s, it's harder to stay on top of your skis every moment. But - your mention of hot G-forces in tight turns sounds great. Most of my ski action is on blues and blacks, mainly groomers, with only an occasional trip into the bumps or the woods, and I'm hoping shorter, shaped skis will work for me. So again, thanks for your advice, and I will consider it as I look at some new boards this season. I'll check out those Atomics........

M

medmarkco

Hi ChileMass - great job predicting the Pats game! I hear you about "mid 40's"... I'm going on 46. My wife and I ski every weekend from T-day to closing and it takes longer every year to get the legs in shape.

My wife and many of our friends are skiing the Volkl SuperStars and love them. After trying 5-Stars and 4-Stars, she is on the four. I tried 5 and 6-Stars at Sunday River demo days last year and liked them alot- very solid and responsive. I think the demos were around 165-170cm.

I also fought the shape revolution. My wife bought a pair of Volkl P40 SL's for me the first year they were shaped and I took them back for a pair of "straight" 205 Rossi 9S's without ever trying the Volkls. Then I had the opportunity to get the Atomic 9.16 SL's (180cm) for virtually nothing. Skied both skis for a couple of weekends and used the shapes exclusively after that. I bought the 150's just to "play", but it only took 1 weekend to get me hooked. I ski with my wife most of the time on blues and blacks, so rather than bashing bumps or steeps, I spend my time trying to link tighter and tighter turns without ever skidding the ski. The sensation of skis ripping a couple of deep trenches in the snow is awesome.

Like you, I did find the shapes a little "grabby" at first because the edges hook up quickly when going from a flat ski to edged. Sometimes felt squirrely on the flats. I never run a flat ski anywhere on the moutain any more. Don't want to alarm you and make you to think a shape always has to be on edge, but I really like the control and solid feel of an edged ski. It takes more focus on balance than physical effort to keep the skis on edge. After a while it just becomes second nature. My comment about needing to always be "on" with the shorties primarily relates to making sure you stay centered on the ski. It's easy to step out of almost any mistake with shorties because you don't have a lot of ski to get away from you, but you also lose almost all leverage to right yourself if you get off balance.

Have fun playing with all the cool skis out there!

Terry

what ski for me?

Chilimass- I bought a pair of volkl supersport 6 stars last season in 168cm length. They absolutely rock. You can go anywhere, ski anything with them. High speed carving is a total blast. Just tip them on edge and go for it. I skied them 62 days last season, and am in love. Can't wait for snow. I would highly recommend them to anyone. They have incredible edge grip on hardpack and ice, but also go real good in softer snow also. Was able to ski anything I wanted to last year, as well as the race course.

M

medmarkco

Hi Terry- sounds like you're addicted! Amazing... have never heard anyone say they didn't like the supersports after trying them. (Thanks for correcting me- not superstars.) Think snow!!

bigbog

Re: the newer skis with substantial sidecut..........

Hi ChileMass,
With a little time on em' you'll enjoy the torsional stiffness in today's skis, but I really love how easily they'll initiate a turn...when you give the order, just the mere thought of tipping them onto some degree of edge and they do just exactly that.

jwind,
That was the G3 back in 00'-02'??. Still kicking myself for not buying it in my size(168)...would have liked a ~173, but..., ChileMass....you might enjoy this ski...rent some if you see the dirty yellow Volkl G3 Energy with the lettering in the thin strip down the center of the ski.....lively(wood cores, like all Volkls), Fast, scored #1 in long radius turns(didn't have an extroardinary amount of sidecut)...had pretty big rebound, was 70mm underfoot... but they didn't make it in very many lengths :angry: