• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

JoeB-Z

How can one possibly know enough about Magic to ski there, buy a pass, complain on online forums, and still be surprised that they struggle to open? I mean I love the mountain, but they're pretty much the most shoestring operation in the state. Lift problems are practically an annual tradition. Surely by now it should be obvious that buying a pass involves somewhat more risk than it does elsewhere.

First, excuse my naivete.

Then, what have you done to contribute?

I have followed the situation very carefully and I have been lied to.

There were are at least ten posts, starting on blogspot last winter, about the progress on the black lift and then red lift approval.

Let alone the prospect of purchase by competent management etc.

Joe

Don't overload us with details now.

Enough snow to skin or did you need to hike? And all the way to the top, nice!

Conditions were Magical. I went with non Magic people and there was no talk of lift inspections, snowmaking, or ownership.

I was able to skin up the whole way. My friends boot packed due to the equipment they had. Skinning was the way to go. Downhill was much better then expected. Mostly soft turns on dense snow that skied deeper then the actual depth. Only issue was avoiding the cell tower road.

Not a scratch on my board after the run.
Post lap beer and wings at the BLT were amazing.

This heavy snow is nice for building a base. If we had 6-8 inches of fluffy stuff on top of it the whole mountain would be in mid-season form.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MMP

still laughing about "managers meeting" ahahahahahahahahah

farlep99

If it isn't a financial problem, then what is holding it up?

There's like one person in each "department." You can drop the Director and managers meeting crap. If you really think you're managing anything or the director of anything except bullshit, you're lying to yourself.

"Director of Bullshit". I like that PJ. Seems appropriate here too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Work

Wow. Reading back a few pages I can only say that I'm glad I have been taking a hiatus from the internet and wow I have truly turned a corner.

Never wanted to be part of a group less.

Treepopper

Some general facts:
The counterweight is a known every yr. Mtn. ops has known about it as it is routine.
They tested snowmaking system over a month ago, discovered pump
Problem. Both of these Tom Barker has been aware of but pushed off..probably due to finances.
They also did not bring in compressors until monday,they can't make snow without them, so there was
No way they could make snow sunday night without compressors. In addition, it was known saturday am
That the pumps were a problem, as mtn. Ops went home for weekend.
If electric did enter into it.......glad its fixed, or could it be waiting fora ck to clear......
Bottom line there was no way snow could be made sunday night and management knew it.......
All of these were knowns that w a plan and money should have been done by 19th, weather should not have had any influence
To announce opening days and not have a lift inspected and snow making ready is just plain misrepresentation
To the public and the magic faithful.
This is incompetence, this is lack of funds, this is a very sad time for magic skiers, as they deserve better.
They have been treated like dirt by this management team,
an operating company that has no
Regard for its skiers. Their goal being get the bar open for any revenue so maybe we can get a lift inspected.
You sold and owe passholders and all skiers a product, which is your mountain, lifts, snowmaking and a working cat are necessary
To open, none of which were ready for either " opening day."
This is no fault of Mtn. Ops as i have seen those guys doing their best, this is " management."
It appears the weather has been a lucky crutch for magics management to use as an excuse not to open,
When all along they could not have anyway, or they would have lifts, cat and snowmaking "ready to go" all along.
Mismanagement, poor communication, bad funding allocations, missed dates, bans, rudeness to customers when questions asked.
A real shame........magic has been quirky for years, but this is worst seen in awhile.......but to be expected when the people running it are not smart enough to listen to their customers.
When the owner puts cocktails before lifts there is a problem.......because no matter how much he drinks the facts will not stay hidden anymore. People have questions and they deserve straight answers, you have already lost many, dont keep treating your skiers like u are, as u will continue to drive them away.

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I haven't stopped in to this thread in a while but I have to say the vitriolic posts here make those in the Burke thread pale in comparison. Yikes.

ORETsvC.gif

VTKilarney

Some general facts:
The counterweight is a known every yr. Mtn. ops has known about it as it is routine.
They tested snowmaking system over a month ago, discovered pump
Problem. Both of these Tom Barker has been aware of but pushed off..probably due to finances.
They also did not bring in compressors until monday,they can't make snow without them, so there was
No way they could make snow sunday night without compressors. In addition, it was known saturday am
That the pumps were a problem, as mtn. Ops went home for weekend.
If electric did enter into it.......glad its fixed, or could it be waiting fora ck to clear......
Bottom line there was no way snow could be made sunday night and management knew it.......
All of these were knowns that w a plan and money should have been done by 19th, weather should not have had any influence
To announce opening days and not have a lift inspected and snow making ready is just plain misrepresentation
To the public and the magic faithful.
This is incompetence, the is lack of funds, this is a very sad time for magic skiers, as they deserve better.
They have been treated like dirt by this management team, and
an operating company that has no
Regard for its skiers. Their goal being get the bar open for any revenue so maybe we can get a lift inspected.
You sold and owe passholders and all skiers a product, which is your mountain, lifts, snowmaking and a working cat are necessary
To open, none of which were ready for either " opening day."
This is no fault of Mtn. Ops as i have seen those guys doing their best, this is " management."
It appears the weather has been a lucky crutch for magics management to use as an excuse not to open,
When all along they could not have anyway, or they would have lifts, cat and snowmaking "ready to go" all along.
Mismanagement, poor communication, bad funding allocations, missed dates, bans, rudeness to customers when questions asked.
A real shame........magic has been quirky for years, but this is worst seen in awhile.......but to be expected when people running are not smart enough to listen to their customers.
When the owner puts cocktails before lifts there is a problem.......because no matter how much he drinks the facts will not stay hidden anymore. People have questions and they deserve straight answers, you have already lost many, dont keep treating your skiers like u are, as u will continue to drive them away.

If even half of this is true, I fear for Magic.