• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

slatham

So I heard in the very active rumor mill that yes passing inspection during this ski season would avoid a more complicated/costly situation next year. Not sure how "this season" is defined, but if it's the most obvious one, then they better hurry up because today's video indicated this weekend was a challenge, and given longer range forecast, the season will end next week. That video also showed lots of activity on Black so it just may be crunch time, right now.

So I heard in the very active rumor mill that yes passing inspection during this ski season would avoid a more complicated/costly situation next year. Not sure how "this season" is defined, but if it's the most obvious one, then they better hurry up because today's video indicated this weekend was a challenge, and given longer range forecast, the season will end next week. That video also showed lots of activity on Black so it just may be crunch time, right now.

I can't imagine a regulatory agency would have a deadline with a definition as ambiguous as "season". I have to imagine there is a defined date which is likely not correlated with whether the resort is open for customers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

rocks860

Well looks like none of my vouchers are getting used this year. You're welcome for the $100 donation magic

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net
I'd be willing to print them and leave them by the ticket window for anyone crazy enough to be buying a day ticket. They won't go to waste and you'll be helping someone else out. Let me know if you want to do that.

makimono

What is "Sunshine Corner"?

Yikes just noticed Trick isn't open anymore?

Sunshine corner is the wide part of Wand above the Green Chair and just below Upper Magic Carpet. Not exactly a trail but who's counting. :)

12803232_10153271102727038_7680684513603111490_n.jpg

BlueTrails

'Sunshine Corner' is technically where Wand begins. You ski from Medium or Magic Carpet into this sweeping left hand turn that widens out into a gorgeous view West to Bromley. If the sun is out, this section of trail can be luxuriously illuminated. If it's late in the day, you may be greeted by a glowing velvet sky. IMHO aside from the top of Master Magician, it is one of the very special places on the mountain.

slatham

I can't imagine a regulatory agency would have a deadline with a definition as ambiguous as "season". I have to imagine there is a defined date which is likely not correlated with whether the resort is open for customers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yes I am sure you are correct but not sure how they define it. I do recall that it had to do with certifying a lift that hadn't been in operation for certain number of "years" or "seasons". But I do know that the process of getting a lift certified after it has been dormant for a certain period of time is much more rigorous than your typical, annual certification.

Someone with more knowledge want to chime in?

zoomzoom

this was discussed back in january. below is a copy of 2011 B77.1 regs regarding acceptance inspections (used to call them load tests) from post #2514:

4.1.1.11.1 Acceptance inspection

Before an aerial lift that is new or relocated or that has
not been operated for routine maintenance within the
previous 2 years is opened to the public, it shall be given
a thorough inspection by qualified personnel to verify
compliance with the plans and specifications of the
designer.

4.1.1.11.2 Acceptance tests
Before an aerial lift that is new or relocated or that has
not been operated for routine maintenance within the
previous 2 years is opened to the public, it shall be given
thorough tests by qualified personnel to verify
compliance with the plans and specifications of the
designer. The designer or manufacturer shall propose
and submit an acceptance test procedure.
Test load per carrier shall be 110% of the design live
load. Thorough load and operating tests shall be
performed under full loading and any partial loadings that
may provide the most adverse operating conditions. The
functioning of all push-button stops, automatic stops,
limit switches, deropement switches, and
communications shall be checked. Acceleration and
deceleration rates shall be satisfactory under all loadings
(see 4.1.2.4). Motive power and all braking and rollback
devices (see 4.1.2.6) shall be proved adequate under
the most adverse loadings.

drjeff

Guess we'll find out if the Black had to pass certification BEFORE the season ended at Magic or not based on the post that went up on their FB a little while ago :-(

drjeff

Did they ever get more than one top to bottom route open?

Depends on what your definition of "more than one" is!!

They had 2 separate routes on the top 1/3rd or so, and 2 separate routes on the bottom 1/3rd or so, but just one connector piece in the middle - kind of like a figure 8 with an extended mid section ;-)

Do Work

'Sunshine Corner' is technically where Wand begins. You ski from Medium or Magic Carpet into this sweeping left hand turn that widens out into a gorgeous view West to Bromley. If the sun is out, this section of trail can be luxuriously illuminated. If it's late in the day, you may be greeted by a glowing velvet sky. IMHO aside from the top of Master Magician, it is one of the very special places on the mountain.

Can't agree more. I love Sunshine Corner, people just collect there on a nice day. They need to get the picnic tables back up there for next year.

What a great end to the season though. Bittersweet indeed but got to ski with a bunch of really awesome people and Sunday afternoon- Trick to Hocus was so $$$$$. Soft perfect peeler corn and fun little chokes here and there... Nobody on the mountain. One for the books. Cheers to all the people who came out and had fun this year!

Newpylong

There also is a difference between not open to the public and dormant. Tenney's lifts were dormant and accordingly had to essentially have their control and safety systems entirely rebuild/upgraded for the lift to be accepted. I believe Black has had maintenance done but just has not been certified due to various defects. It should have to have it's mechanical and existing safety systems in working order but as long as it keeps spinning every season and getting routine maintenance it should not become at risk of losing it grandfathered status. At least that is how I read it.

valsoar

Took a few runs Sunday morning then after lunch hiked up the west side just so I'd actually been there this season. As I walked past the bottom of black, the Colorado lift guys were there sitting up by the drive bull-wheel and the lift was moving slowly. Clearly they're still trying to get there before whatever the deadline may be. Good to see.

BlueTrails

There also is a difference between not open to the public and dormant. Tenney's lifts were dormant and accordingly had to essentially have their control and safety systems entirely rebuild/upgraded for the lift to be accepted. I believe Black has had maintenance done but just has not been certified due to various defects. It should have to have it's mechanical and existing safety systems in working order but as long as it keeps spinning every season and getting routine maintenance it should not become at risk of losing it grandfathered status. At least that is how I read it.

The problem is that Black has not been certified for public use in years. It was condemned by the VDOT under the JS regime, but TB filed an appeal and a modification for the grips was approved. That work was done last fall. There was still a punch list of minor items, but the drive bull wheel bearing was not on that list....so some new items cropped up in the last few months. The crane was not cheap, and I think these efforts demonstrate a serious effort to beat the 'scrap metal' deadline that is looming. Simply put, it is certified this season (I'm guessing some day in April) or it's history.