• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Magic

I think someone taking the huge bag of money happened at Magic already:angry:

dlague

Have to say this is a brutal thread beating up on low budget Magic. I think some of you should give them a break. It has been a very hard start for all ski areas. For Magic to have strayed soon would have been a waste of money. Granted a few days here or the have been lost but it is what it is and the first two foot dump on cover many of you will be skiing it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Have to say this is a brutal thread beating up on low budget Magic. I think some of you should give them a break. It has been a very hard start for all ski areas. For Magic to have strayed soon would have been a waste of money. Granted a few days here or the have been lost but it is what it is and the first two foot dump on cover many of you will be skiing it.

Was thinking the same

MadMadWorld

Wrong. I patrol at another mountain in VT and have for 15 years. The NSP only has general liability for its educator's when they are instructing a class of other NSP members. Whether you are paid or a volunteer you are working as an agent of the area that you patrol at. Simple as that. And the good Samaritan Act may or may not cover you. But I'm not willing to roll the dice and I would never patrol at mountain without a general liability policy. If you're a young kid with no family and no assets go for it but I wouldn't. Don't believe me google the NSP policy and procedures Chapter 8. Happy reading.
Good to read that Magic is making snow. Love that hill on powder days.

And you sir broke 2 of the rules in the responsibility code with your screen name. Your opinion as a ski patroller means nothing!

roark

I haven't kept up with this thread. Reading has been just brutal, especially knowing many of the posters and their connections to the mountain. I haven't been following FB either. Clearly there are some serious infrastructure issues as we've all know about for years, but they don't compare to the management issues.

What really bums me out is this sort of thing just reinforces the 'only go there on a powder day' narrative and the mt. won't survive with that rep. These people need to sell before they lose it all anyway - the incompetence is just baffling.

Regardless, I hope to get up there mid-late Feb (the next time work sends me back east) and enjoy some shenanigans!

UYSDYP

So should we have said nothing and let the tragedy just unfold? Should we have let tom just not blow snow because the pump was not running. Many of us have bought passes and 3/packs. Should we just wait for natural snow and skin up. When would you have spoken out about this? In the spring? It sucks all around but they have a commitment to at least try at some point. It's the first week of January and we still don't have a lift ready/ inspected.

MMP

I haven't kept up with this thread. Reading has been just brutal, especially knowing many of the posters and their connections to the mountain. I haven't been following FB either. Clearly there are some serious infrastructure issues as we've all know about for years, but they don't compare to the management issues.

What really bums me out is this sort of thing just reinforces the 'only go there on a powder day' narrative and the mt. won't survive with that rep. These people need to sell before they lose it all anyway - the incompetence is just baffling.

Regardless, I hope to get up there mid-late Feb (the next time work sends me back east) and enjoy some shenanigans!

When legitimate stakeholders adopt that viewpoint it really is sad. Lots of people were all about trick to showoff and big bar tabs, and speaking for myself-not this year. Directly because of the unprofessional treatment I've received. I would never boycott Magic because someone out of their depth insulted me. We have too many friends and the skiing is too good.

I'll ski the ribbon with you though, so by all means give me a heads up. Bust out the green Noronnas. :daffy:

Lots of these posts read like you'll be happy if Magic closes. If you feel that way kindly go fuck yourself. You know who you are.

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net

Looking forward to this. I recall standing outside one particularly chilly opening day with my wife waiting for first chair of the season and introducing myself to the only other person who was crazy enough to be waiting for first chair. Turned out to be you!

Looks like the big mountains out by you are having a better season this year than last year!

VTKilarney

Lots of these posts read like you'll be happy if Magic closes. If you feel that way kindly go fuck yourself. You know who you are.
I haven't gotten even a whiff of that. People seem to want different management, but don't mistake that for wishing that the mountain would close.

Do Work

Should we have let tom just not blow snow because the pump was not running.

The way this was worded made me laugh. Made me wonder how many bathroom breaks you've scheduled to allow Tom each day.

UYSDYP

I'll proofread next time. Although he must need many, you know he's getting old. I'll pencil them in.