• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

mriceyman

All it means is that we won't see you there until they get black going.

Ya losing 3 hours of a ski day isnt fun. Especially when i have 2 kids under 2 and i can only get out maybe 5 times a year when i used to get out close to 20.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JamaicaMan

Tubing lift hasn't been inspected either...

slatham

Sweet!I Lemme guess because you don't need red to go tubing.

While that is true, a real issue is the snowmaking window is < the time needed to cover Trick/Show Off given limitations of system, and lack of good day time temps today and tomorrow. Add in a warm weekend capped off with a sucker punch of a non-frozen storm and I might reconsider where I'm making snow and how much. Really shows how the pump/power issue last weekend really hurt. They're not getting any breaks (probably not helping themselves either if half of what's posted here is true). If they can get tubing open at least that will bring in some money and give the faithful something to do to work up a thirst for BLT.......

Bright side is next week looks colder, longer, with several clippers possible and just maybe one will..........

THINK SNOW!

roark

honestly given the coming warm up... not sure blowing a bunch to have a chunk of it melt makes sense, but for the 'oh shit we should been open by now' factor.

wtcobb

And there it is:

Despite our best efforts, we will not be opening this weekend. After a great start to the week for our snowmakers, temperatures are expected to rise above freezing the next four days and there is a high possibility of rain both Saturday and Sunday. Our snowmakers are still working every night and we will be open for MLK Weekend.

yeggous

I previously booked the last weekend in January at the Upper Pass Lodge. Apparently that was a mistake. Oh well, I can drive elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

I previously booked the last weekend in January at the Upper Pass Lodge. Apparently that was a mistake. Oh well, I can drive elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Best place to stay in VT imo. Pico is about 50 minutes away if Magic isn't going. I'd take it over the other options.

JamaicaMan

Sad

What's especially sad is taking last night's and this morning's snowmaking temps (over 14 hours so far) and blowing snow ONLY in the tube park. Season pass holders deserve a 100% effort to open the ski area at this point in season rather than trying to make a few bucks on tubing this weekend.

VTKilarney

What's especially sad is taking last night's and this morning's snowmaking temps (over 14 hours so far) and blowing snow ONLY in the tube park. Season pass holders deserve a 100% effort to open the ski area at this point in season rather than trying to make a few bucks on tubing this weekend.
Very good point. It's definitely penny wise, pound foolish and shows a lack of vision. I'm wondering if they are just trying to keep the lights on at this point. I feel really badly for season pass holders. I thought it was rough to have a pass at Burke, but this is even worse. I know that Magic has always had its challenges, but management seems to be making one poor decision after another. For example, diverting work from the Red Chair because the weather stayed warm. Thanks to that boneheaded decision they still don't have the chair inspected and we're into January.

drjeff

Not sure if it is the same at Magic, but I know at other VT resorts, there are times, typically of high power demand, that Green Mountain Power (GMP) tells large users of electricity (and ski areas when they're making snow qualify as large users) that they need to power down for X number of hours. Additionally there are similar type times when GMP looks at a clients power consumption to base future rate determinations off of, and as a result larger power users, when they are made aware of these times, purposely scale back their use while the assessment period is happening. Whether or not this came into play at Magic or not in the last 24hrs I'm not sure, it is a reality though that GMP does put into play at certain times that DOES effect ski area operations :(

UYSDYP

Very good point. It's definitely penny wise, pound foolish and shows a lack of vision. I'm wondering if they are just trying to keep the lights on at this point. I feel really badly for season pass holders. I thought it was rough to have a pass at Burke, but this is even worse. I know that Magic has always had its challenges, but management seems to be making one poor decision after another. For example, diverting work from the Red Chair because the weather stayed warm. Thanks to that boneheaded decision they still don't have the chair inspected and we're into January.[/QUvoluntAs a passholder this just burns. All we are asking for is 1 lift and 1 t2b trail. A little preparation in the fall would have prevented this bullshit. Now focusing on bar renos and tubing hills blows. While they both are great to have (in addition)and are other sources of income, I have a pass to ski. They cannot deliver that. I would love a refund. We will never see such a thing but it is wishful thinking. I wish the best for the mountain but this management has to go. As long as they run this place I will never own a pass again.

skithetrees

I don't get it. Weren't people complaining earlier that the least the could do was open the tubing park? Maybe they saw that it wasn't possible to open the lifts so they decided to cut their losses and at least have tubing open. Then there are people that demanded to see snowgun pictures and birches about where they were placed. Then the inspection of red and complained about black. Not that these aren't all valid points and that there are issues, but at this point it seems there is no pleasing anyone without full snowmaking on the whole mountain followed by 2 feet of snow and brand new lifts and a management change and new lodge and you get the point.

I get it, there are real issues, but when half the mountains n VT aren't open for Christmas, can you really be mad magic isn't. There is no real difference this year and the last couple of years in the status of the mountain. The only difference is that they got really unlucky with the weather. They could change management and owners and still hve the same thing happen next year for Christmas. People ski magic for the great days and the loyals put up with the bad ones. While this is disappointing, how surprised can anyone really be?

cdskier

47097667.jpg

In all seriousness though, it really is a shame that there are all these issues as passholders don't deserve to be jerked around like this...

VTKilarney

I don't get it. Weren't people complaining earlier that the least the could do was open the tubing park? Maybe they saw that it wasn't possible to open the lifts so they decided to cut their losses and at least have tubing open. Then there are people that demanded to see snowgun pictures and birches about where they were placed. Then the inspection of red and complained about black. Not that these aren't all valid points and that there are issues, but at this point it seems there is no pleasing anyone without full snowmaking on the whole mountain followed by 2 feet of snow and brand new lifts and a management change and new lodge and you get the point.

I get it, there are real issues, but when half the mountains n VT aren't open for Christmas, can you really be mad magic isn't. There is no real difference this year and the last couple of years in the status of the mountain. The only difference is that they got really unlucky with the weather. They could change management and owners and still hve the same thing happen next year for Christmas. People ski magic for the great days and the loyals put up with the bad ones. While this is disappointing, how surprised can anyone really be?

I don't blame anyone for being royally pissed off that they can't get a single run serviced by a chair lift open prior to MLK weekend - even with the weather we have had.

slatham

That's disappointing and leads me to conclude that Magic will rely on Trick/Show Off, beginner area and tubing, until they get a dump and hence generate day ticket sales. Thereafter, maybe they will make snow on other trails. So once again its wait for a dump and then hit Magic. Assuming they can spin a lift that is. This pales in comparison to what I heard the approach of this past summers investor group was going to be.