• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What type of skier are you?

Dmiller27

I have found that I am a "take it slow and easy/enjoy the ride" type of skier. I find my self stopping halfway down and taking in the views. I have a few friends that I have skied with in the past and they bomb down the mountain a mach speed and that is what they enjoy. Not judging just figure everyone has a speed they like to ski at and just curious what everyone's preference is when hitting the slopes.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
If I ski alone, I tend to ski harder without break Mixing steeper, leg burning trails or fast runs with a slow cruiser to get a break. If with someone I will adjust to there style to a degree and let them pick what or how we ski. As day goes on and I tire, I will become more of a slow down and enjoy the ride skier. If it's powdery I will ski the snowier trails until I get too rubber legged then hit the cruisers.

frapcap

Depends on the mood I suppose. I start off strong and aggressive in the morning after taking a quick run on a groomer to put my feet under me and square up for the day. Sometime around lunch a second wind comes from a mashed PB&J sandwich and cheese from the backpack and I get the urge to try something new like taking an unnecessary jump off some bumps. Sometime around 2:30, 3 is when the slow down starts and I lumber my way down the small, hero bumps and make some wide turns on some cruisers. I do try to end the day with an easy tree run before having a victory beer in the parking lot.

skiNEwhere

I generally like skiing fast if I am on an easier trail.

But when I ski I try to hit up the glades or the bumps.

If I'm not doing either, I tend to get bored. So overall, I guess I would call myself an aggressive skier.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yup, when I ski alone I go fast, rare breaks, and I'm usually worn out by 2 - 2:30. I will normally take a 15 - 20 minute short lunch.

When I ski with others we often go a lot slower, partially so we can chat as we go, it's more of a social experience (obviously). Like we will ski a line, stop, watch the other person go, talk about it, then move to the next line. Particularly in the woods.

ScottySkis

I love crusing along and finding soft snow, I love the views. I love the expert trails. I love taking a break after lunch and getting coffee. If I'm skiing a non powered day in the east, I probably ski 6 hours, by then I pretty tired, I love being out of the house in winter. I don't know technically what type I guess mild expert who loves being out side. Across in the west that all changes and I go from opening to closing.:)

Warp Daddy

Mybuddies and i ski mach schnell on the groomed till noon no breaks unless to PEE , hey iam almost 70 ;)'

Then after a 15/20 minute lunch we resume that same approach till about 2, THEN we reel it back and cruise the last hr . We usually are off the hill by 3:30 . F i have never been on amtn i hit some fast groomers to warm up , then start exploring at cruise speed .

At my age bumps are rare and after almost 40 yrs of ski touring on XC skiing ,downhill in the woods is now out of my system

bdfreetuna

The flatter it is, the faster I will probably go.. up until the point where flatness begins to impede velocity.

I will not try to ski fast necessarily on expert terrain or terrain with sketchy conditions.. just try to ski that as well as I can at safer speeds.

snowmonster

I usually hit the glades when there is enough snow. I love the challenge of glades skiing and the peace of being in the woods. When the glades aren't in, I'm happy to tip 'em and rip 'em on the groomers. As we discovered at the first AZ Summit, there's something magical about a carpet of freshly mown corduroy.

C-Rex

I'm the snowboarding kind of skier. ;-)

I like to ride the woods whenever I can. I just have more fun in there. Runs take longer so I spend more time on the snow instead of the lift. I like the challenge and the workout. If I'm stuck on groomers I usually either bomb them so that that hump in the trail turns into a roller if I can hit it fast enough. Plus I just like going fast. If I spot some fun little features on the edges, I'll slow down to play around. If I'm with beginners or intermediates I like to let them go first so I can keep an eye on them and we don't get separated. And I don't want them to feel like they are chasing me all day and trying to keep up.

I also usually try to take at least a couple runs through a medium sized park if it's available. I love being airborn even though I'm not very good at jumping. My repetoire consists of a few grabs and once in a while I'll throw in an attempted 360 that almost always ends horribly. I think I've landed 2 since I started trying them 2 years ago. But I'll keep trying until my body can't take it anymore. What can I say, I'm not a park rat, and at 31 I'm certainly not old but I can't shake off a good slam and get right back up like I used to.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
All I know is that I'm getting a little worse each year, and that effects what type of skier I am. I find myself spending more time on groomed runs, and less likely to dive into the woods.

Smellytele

I am a tele skier mostly and love bumps, woods, speed, small cliffs and powder. I do not like steep groomers that are scraped off. I do not like gates.

kingslug

Depends on..well everything. Powder day I bomb it till I drop...ski with the speedmonsters..bomb it till we drop..some day just take it easy and work on whatever I feel like working on, bumps, stamina, etc. I did have fun last year at Big SKy skiing with a group that normaly only skies 6 to 10 days a year, they are very good though, ran them bell to bell...they said they never skied so much in their life...might as well get your moneys worth.

jrmagic

Generally aggressive but it all depends on conditions and who I am with. I do also enjoy the views and BSing with friends when we ski together. I also love watchnig my kids make turns especially now as they have gotten older and better. Especially my 15 y/o. He's really got it all dialed in and its awesmoe to see how fluid he is in basiclly all conditions.