• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What was the first mountain you ever skied?

Bkroon9175

First Trails

My first four ski areas were:
Blue Hills in Canton, Ma 1966
Heavenly, in Quincy, Ma 1966
Gunstock, Gilford, NH 1966
Mt Rowe, Gilford NH 1967

M

Michael E. Bemis

For a small place close to home I used to ski at Boston Hill in North Andover, Massachusetts. Other than that, it was in New Hampshire, I think either Crotched or Whittier, but I'm not sure. I was probably six years old.

sledhaulingmedic

1. My Parents' back yard
2. My Friend's parents's back yard/hayfield
3. Temple Mt., NH
4. Onset, NH
5. The Crotch, NH

Big Game

Mount Southington as well. When I was thirteen. Had some snow-shoveling money burning a hole in my jeans. I went night skiing with a church group. Those stupid rental boots packed with snow everytime I had to right myself from a crash every 25 yards. I was talking about Jesus Christ, but probably not in a way our Reverend would appreciate. Then the rain started. My jeans (oh yeah!) were soaked. But I made it to the last lift. And on my last run, I only wiped out three times. The next day I woke up with a terrible cold. Missed a week of school. Miraculous last minute recovery allowed me to back there the next Friday night.

hammer

Here are my first four. The first two were over 20 years ago and the last two were in the past 2 seasons (age 39):

1. Northern NJ (don't remember the ski area)
2. Crotched
3. Nashoba
4. Pats Peak

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Mount Jefferson in Lee, Maine. I had such a horrible time after the first day, I came home threw the skis down cellar and never touched them for 10 years.
At the age of 33 I found myself divorced and back in college. So I bought a cheap college pass and hung out at the Loaf until I figured out how to make it down Boardwalk. Couldn't afford lessons, so I learned by everyones advice.

After 4 years, I took up telemark skiing and have been happy as a clam ever since :D

MrMagic

ski sun down around 4 years old, hooked after that
then again (this time telemark )at ski sundown 17 years old. hooked again on a new sport now the hardest part is choosibg tele or alpine :p

bvibert

Staff member
This seems like a pretty good topic to introduce myself...

My name is Brian

The first time I skied was at a popular sledding hill behind the middle school in Burlington, CT. I was on my Mom's old red white and blue K2's with straps, no fancy brakes :) That was probably when I was about 9 in '86/'87. Then in '87/'88 I joined the ski club and skied at Ski Sundown once a week after school until I was probably 15 or 16 when all sorts of other things got in the way, including not being able to replace the pair of rear entry boots I cracked. Every single winter from then until I was 24 I said I was gonna ski again, but something always came up to draw my attention, or wallet away from the slopes :( Then a group of guys from work was planning a trip to Okemo, so I went up with them rented some skis and fell in love again. I was able to go once again the following year. Then finally last winter on New Years day, after over 8 years of trying, I finally got my wife (Severine on this forum) on skis. I can't wait for the season to start again! :D

Greg

Staff member
Welcome, Brian! Glad to see you've stopped by.

nekgirl

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
1985, 5 years old at Big Squaw Mtn in Maine. My dad tried to take me between his legs, for about 15 minutes, then signed me up for a lesson, was skiing with my dad by the end of the day.

T

trailbiscuit

King Pine at age 11. I'll never forget the gray Elan rentals.

Learned to tele at Sunday River about 7 years ago. That's was a rough day on Lollapalooza!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Those of you who got to know me this past winter went through, step by step, my first season of skiing. :D First time skiing was at Ski Sundown in New Hartford, CT. That was, as my husband pointed out, on New Year's Day this year.

Greg

Staff member
NEtracker said:
Not much of a mt., but it was Wachusett.
More of a mountain than my first. Welcome to the boards, NEtracker!

Yooper

First Moutain? Does more of a Hill surfice? It was Crystala Ski Hill in Crystal Falls, Michigan in the UP, thats north of the Mackinac Bridge. Rope Tows, darn near ripped out my arms.

Bkroon9175

tREE SKIER
Was the Gilford Outing Club that small area (where the trails are still cleared) on the way to Gunstock????