• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's going on (or not going on) at Gore??

St. Jerry

Trail count has been stuck at 35-36 for over a week. I think in that same time killington's trail count has doubled.

Have they just given up on this year??

millerm277

They do have a trail report listing what they're making snow on.

Looks like they're trying to cover a bunch of long runs to get the Burnt Ridge Quad, North Quad and High Peaks Double open. Takes a hell of a lot of snowmaking to do it though.

Bene288

Gore has a lot of long and wide runs that take a ton of work to cover coast to coast.

ScottySkis

Gore usually closes some chairs mid week explain maybe why trail count went down. It definitely best to experience gore after it snows up their in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I did a comparison of Gore and Killington about 5 years ago. At the time Killington's snowmaking capacity was about 5x that of Gore:

http://nyskiblog.com/gore-passholder-decisions/

(80 acre feet vs 15)

In that time Gore has double capacity to about 30 acre feet, including the addition of several hundred guns. In 2011 160 new guns were added at a cost of $575k:

http://nyskiblog.com/gore-mountain-snowmaking-upgrades-2011/

More fans guns, pumping, compression have been added since then. I'm not saying it's enough, but IMO it's not fair to say they never put money into snowmaking.

mbedle

Gore's snowmaking has always lacked. They keep adding trails and lifts, but never seem to put money into the snowmaking system.

Is that really true? Did a quick search and they seem to have invested a good deal into snowmaking over the past decade. Does anybody know how much of Gore is covered with snowmaking.

ScottySkis

He's they have improvement a lot but nothing compared to k or any resorts. Why because NY state runs the place which is good and bad at same time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
How about we stick to talking about skiing instead of whining about the government and taxes.

Cornhead

How about we stick to talking about skiing instead of whining about the government and taxes.

How about the government stop owning ski resorts and concentrate on providing essential services to it's overtaxed taxpayers.;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
There's a good argument for that, but if they leased out those ski areas, I wouldn't expect a meaningful change in your tax bill.

Lots of ways to look at things. Boston recently gave $145M to attract GE and 600 jobs. The next day they announced $50M worth of cuts to the schools.

Everyone has different priorities. I doubt much has anything to do with the snowmaking budget at Gore. It's not like a cut in welfare benefits would benefit a ski areas budget even if Tommy Moe was the governor. So why discuss it?