• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's Going on Ragged?

canobie#1

22 trails with one being a glade? Really? I can't believe how far behind they are this year.

Still waiting for them to blast on birches, chute, crewcut........Pleanty of more to be done.

Hopefully they do something with easy winder next year so they can blast on that again. adding a system to sweepstakes and a few more trails would be a good idea. They can't go expand Pinacle without having a good snowmaking system first. Get it done Ragged!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I could see adding snowmaking to the bottom of Sweepstakes, but definitely not the top. That would ruin what is IMO the best section of trail on the mountain.

canobie#1

Yeah I agree.

There is an entrance to sweeps at the top of Birches so they could just do that.

Upper and Lower Chute are online now. Hopefully Birches comes soon after.

Tin

Unless there is crazy snowmaking southern NH is not doing as well as natural snow wise as they have in the past few years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last few years have been kind to Southern NH. The two years I was a pass holder at Ragged, I think it was 09-10 & 10-11, the Ravine was open for all of maybe three or four weeks a year.

yeggous

I'm not at all surprised by this. Ragged's snowmaking system is mediocre at best. They put all their money into lifts, which I personally appreciated. I'm not complaining because when they get the natural the place is amazing. If you want snowmaking, go to Crotched.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They've actually invested quite a bit in snowmaking in the past five years. It used to be they could blow 1 trail open and then they would have to wait three days for the pond to recharge. They made a concerted effort to improve snowmaking first and grow the business prior to putting in the Spear lift. I was somewhat surprised to see the lift go in. Every years since 08 and probably longer back then that, they said new HSQ next year. Then they'd spend money on snowmaking. Probably well over $1.5M during that time. Still lagging behind Crotched, Sunapee, Gunstock and maybe even Pats; but much improved. This may be more an operating budget issue than equipment; saving cash for Pinnacle

dlague

My guess is they are trying to keep cost down on snow making with the new lift in place now. Building on the idea that people will come because of the new lift rather then trail count. Once the novelty is worn off they will have to kick it in gear.

skifastinvt

I'm a Ragged pass holder this winter. In my opinion they were a bit slow in getting to exhibition (opened last weekend) and the chutes (blowing now). Early winter focus was flying Yankee, showboat and cardigan (to maximize exposure of the new lift?) I heard rumors that the delay in blowing on exhibition was to refresh the pond. I thought they could pump water from the bog to keep the pond full, but maybe not at the same time. In their defense, they have made a lot of snow (more than I have ever seen) and the snow surface is good (albeit groomed flat and in places partial width). The amount of snow that they made on showboat this year is sickening. They really need to do some trail work so they don't need to blow as much snow on it.

Mother Nature has given them very little other than rain and freezing rain. Other than finishing up on the chutes and hopefully birches, there's not much more they can do but wait for some natural. I'm looking forward to playing in the woods.

For what it's worth, the new lift is a game changer for the mountain. I too was surprised at the investment, but it prompted me to buy a pass, and has really improved the ski experience. I truly believe they are headed in the right direction.