• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When do you strip?

When do you strip the summer wax off?

• Total voters

WJenness

I dropped my skis off at the shop on Friday to get tuned.

I need to start doing my own.

-w

ERJ-145CA

I never got around to getting summer wax on my skis this year so I didn't need it stripped. A few weeks ago Heino's ski shop ran a pre-season special on tuning so I took advantage of that so I'm all ready to go. Yesterday we got my son's season lease for his skis and boots so he's ready to go too. My wife won't be riding this winter because of her pregnancy, so her board is just gonna sit here.

Sky

I dropped my skis off at the shop on Friday to get tuned.

I need to start doing my own.

-w

WJ...where did you drop your stuuf off?

Friends of mine are huge Strands fans for the first tune of the year....their Montana machine draws folks from all over...and a while-you-wait (as long as your willing to wait a long time) is pretty good.

I usually buy a package deal @ Wa...base tune plus two CD Grinds...for cheap money.

I'd like to start doing my own tunes. Wa claims to have clinics. ArcTech (sp?) has pretty good deals on vices etc, but the return on investment is not immediate.

I'll get my stuff tuned by the first of Nov.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'll get them ready about a week before I first go out. Sooner if the jones factor and extra free time get the best of me

WJenness

WJ...where did you drop your stuuf off?

Friends of mine are huge Strands fans for the first tune of the year....their Montana machine draws folks from all over...and a while-you-wait (as long as your willing to wait a long time) is pretty good.

I usually buy a package deal @ Wa...base tune plus two CD Grinds...for cheap money.

I'd like to start doing my own tunes. Wa claims to have clinics. ArcTech (sp?) has pretty good deals on vices etc, but the return on investment is not immediate.

I'll get my stuff tuned by the first of Nov.

Dropped them off at Ken Jones in Nashua, NH as I had to go up that way for some shopping anyway. I did a few things with them last year and they seemed pretty god.

Where is Strands?

-w

bvibert

Staff member
The only time I've had summer wax was last season when I bought a pair of skis second hand. I never got around to having it stripped off and getting them tuned, so let the snow take the layer off on an early season trip to Mount Snow with 2knees. The first run or two was a little tricky since the edges were all waxed up, but that wore off quickly enough.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
The only time I've had summer wax was last season when I bought a pair of skis second hand. I never got around to having it stripped off and getting them tuned, so let the snow take the layer off on an early season trip to Mount Snow with 2knees. The first run or two was a little tricky since the edges were all waxed up, but that wore off quickly enough.

my summer wax is what ever wax i bought in bulk the season before. i like to get a really hard cold wax as a base wax scrape and bruch it out then put a wax that is right for the temp. then if i was off with the temp i might do a quick cork session before i leave tha car at the mountain.

Greg

Staff member
I'll probably bring my boards in for a tune-up the next few weeks. After the last day in the spring, I let them fully dry and then just throw them in the closet.

SkiMangoJazz

Taking care of your own skis is the way to go. Wax and light diamond stoning of edges is all you need to do. All you need is a vice, an iron, some wax, a scraper, a brush and a couple of diamond stones.

Every time I ski I check and if necessary lightly debur my edges, in the east that's every day usually - sharp edges rock!

And waxing not only helps your glide but protects your bases. Every couple of days I wax.

It's fun and a good way to keep into skiing while off the slope!

Greg

Staff member
Taking care of your own skis is the way to go. Wax and light diamond stoning of edges is all you need to do. All you need is a vice, an iron, some wax, a scraper, a brush and a couple of diamond stones.

Every time I ski I check and if necessary lightly debur my edges, in the east that's every day usually - sharp edges rock!

And waxing not only helps your glide but protects your bases. Every couple of days I wax.

It's fun and a good way to keep into skiing while off the slope!

Some people are really whacky about a perfectly tuned ski. It depends on what you like to ski. Off the groomers, a perfectly tuned ski is negligible.

Trekchick

I'll probably start doing some preseason prep work soon, since we've put away the water skis and are about to put the golf clubs away.

Question:
Where do you do your ski prep?
I set up in my dining room. I assume most use the garage or have a work shop.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
its fun
ski tunning = drinking

I have the same "problem"

Question:

I have a small workbench in the basement. I have all sorts of hand tools all over it now from various summer projects. In a week or two, I'll clean it up and get it ready for ski tuning.

wa-loaf

Where is Strands?

Worcester

I do my own waxing and edging, but I also drop them off for a stone grind once or twice depending on how much I ski. Not sure what my situation will be this winter so we'll see. Hopefully I'll have space for some work.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll probably start doing some preseason prep work soon

My preseason prep is done. I brought my skis home from where I had them in storage. ;)

Question:

That's the main reason I don't do any sort of work on my skis. There's no space in our tiny apartment with the rugrats running around. I do have a garage, but aside from the fact the it's filled with crap there's no electricity out there, or heat.

If I get around to it I'll take at least some of my skis in for their yearly (or bi-yearly) tune-up. They could probably use it, one pair has never been tuned (skied em right out of the box). Another pair is the ones that I skied the summer was off of last year and that's the only 'tune' they got (they have a few chunks of ptex missing from CT woods skiing too). The last pair I only used a few times, but they look like someone purposely rounded off the edges, except for where the serrations are. They were given to me for free so I can't complain. I bought another used pair recently, I think they have some summer wax on em, they'll probably get the same 'treatment' as the last pair I had like that.

As you can see I really take my tuning seriously. :lol:

SkiMangoJazz

I have an area in my garage.

If you want to have your skis ground by one of the best in the country go to see Mike DiSantis at Summit in Framingham, he's a former World Cup tuner and Volkl Product Manager. He's expensive, calls it refinishing, not tuning. skimd.com I think.

wa-loaf

Oh and to answer the question I'll scrape the wax off before heading to the hill. Ski the rest off on the hill.