• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is a deal not a deal

yeggous

I was the tent sale in North Conway this weekend (run by Frosty's / Ski and Snowboard Liquidators) and was not impressed. Most of their prices were barely marked down from retail.

I spent some time trying on boots and found a pair that fit really well (Lange RX 120). They promised that if I bought there, they would guarantee the fit at Frosty's so I was ready to make a purchase knowing that the tent sale was backed by a local shop. I noted that several pairs had discounted prices of about $350 which is what I expected for a summer tent sale. When I asked about a price on the RX 120s I was told "$600 which is marked down from $700". The bootfitter claimed that $700 was MAP, which is false. The $600 "discount" tent sale price was MAP. After I made it clear that was a nonstarter he walked away all car salesman like and came back and told me since I was twisting his arm he could do $500. Most shops would do that price in the middle of the season if you push.

I was personally insulted that they would try to pitch me full MAP on a summer "clearance" tent sale. I am increasingly convinced that there are no deals to be had on gear in the Mount Washington Valley. Stan and Dan's rarely gives a deal, but they have excellent service that nearly makes up for it. This was just a shock to my system that they would try to pass off these prices as a "deal".

dlague

I was the tent sale in North Conway this weekend (run by Frosty's / Ski and Snowboard Liquidators) and was not impressed. Most of their prices were barely marked down from retail.

I spent some time trying on boots and found a pair that fit really well (Lange RX 120). They promised that if I bought there, they would guarantee the fit at Frosty's so I was ready to make a purchase knowing that the tent sale was backed by a local shop. I noted that several pairs had discounted prices of about $350 which is what I expected for a summer tent sale. When I asked about a price on the RX 120s I was told "$600 which is marked down from $700". The bootfitter claimed that $700 was MAP, which is false. The $600 "discount" tent sale price was MAP. After I made it clear that was a nonstarter he walked away all car salesman like and came back and told me since I was twisting his arm he could do $500. Most shops would do that price in the middle of the season if you push.

I was personally insulted that they would try to pitch me full MAP on a summer "clearance" tent sale. I am increasingly convinced that there are no deals to be had on gear in the Mount Washington Valley. Stan and Dan's rarely gives a deal, but they have excellent service that nearly makes up for it. This was just a shock to my system that they would try to pass off these prices as a "deal".

We found the same to be true last summer. While we did buy a few things, but we were not impressed. For some reason mark downs on women's jackets and pants were nothing when compared to mark downs on men's gear. Same brand of jacket and it was nearly double the price - did not make any sense.