• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the last time you took a lesson?

colinmccormack

last real lesson i took last year was the the sugarlaof trip. looking forward to another free one this yr

bigbog

I happened to run into one of my good friends at Mount Snow today, who was skiing with a friend of his who happens to be a PSIA Level 3 instructor, who was just out free skiing and enjoying some great early season snow.

What then happened was basically a 2 hour private clinic with me and my friend and the instructor. I hadn't had a formal lesson in probably 20 years, and it was really fun to be able to ski with someone who really gets both the little things that it takes to ski very well and also an ability to then identify and describe them in various ways to let you focus on what you need to do to "fix" things.

The instructor after watching me ski down a mix of firm skied off base snow, soft chalky grippy snow and some randomly sized and shaped bumps started asking me about what I was feeling with inside ankle as I was turning to the left with respect to boot pressure. As we were talking, and I started thinking about what he was asking me and why he was asking about it. After a couple of runs, and a couple of different explanations about what he wanted me to do (essentially I was overweighting my downhill ski while turning to the left, which was leaving my hips slightly open to the falline which if I wasn't 100% over the center of my skis, increased my chance of getting my weight back and increasing the chance of some skidding at the end of my turns to the left - I wasn't having this issue while turning to the right). Once it clicked with me, I was really finding that my "weak" side turns suddenly felt no different than my "strong" side turns! ........

HA!, +1 drJ......only the opposite side..and to add to that I just haven't gotten the time outside in winter the last bunch of years...but better times are beginning to happen.

marebear

1993-Killington. Snowboard lesson on Snowshed. I was bruised and battered that day and loved every minute. Never went back. 12 yrs. before that~ Ski group lesson @ Killington. I was admonished for skiing too fast. Man, I really miss skiing and intend to return to it someday. I think lessons are the way to go and always recommend them to my beginning friends.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I got group lessons as part of a ski and stay package at Sunday River now 9 years ago :eek: My last day was a private lesson because folks didn't show. That week was very helpful in hindsight and really helped me go from "skidding" on shaped skis to "carving." My form in the trees and bumps really improved as well. And, as you said, it was really only small adjustments that made a small difference. I should get another listen to help me refine things further.

Wyatte74

1990, Powder Ridge...although the "lesson" was from friends who brought me to the "top" of the "mountain" and said do this its called snow plowing and drink this its called schnapps and off I went into the awesome world of skiing and falling and skiing and falling and so on and so forth etc etc...my jeans and jean jacket were soaked and my whole body hurt but what a great time!