• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you do most of your skiing?

Where do you do most of your skiing?

• Pennsylvania

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • New Jersey

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • New York

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Connecticut

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Massachussetts

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Vermont

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • New Hampshire

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Maine

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Quebec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rockies/ non Northeast

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Simple question. Where do you do most of your skiing? Are you a weekend warrior in the VT mountains? Do you get your skiing fix after work at your local hill? Or do you fight the masses in the Poconos? How about out west?

My distribution is pretty equal between MA, CT, and VT. It's a nice blend. It makes you appreciate the smaller mountains and reminds you to take advantage of your time up in the "big" hills.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Other than when I was a kid growing up in the suburbs of Boston, I've mostly skied in the state I've lived in. I live in NH now, I primarily ski here. When I lived in VT, ME, WV etc., I primarily skied in those states. Though I'd much prefer skiing in Northern VT than in NH, my schedule doesn't allow for it. So, here I ski.

ScottySkis

Since I now live an about 60 miles from the Catskills I mostly ski in NY

When I lived in NYC i mostly skiied in Vermont because I was taking a bus and they were doing the driving. And was lucky enough to ski a lot last season in the Catskills and the snow kept coming. Hopefully everyone gets the great snow this season.

Smellytele

Live 10 mins from the local hill here in NH so ski there the most but then if you take that out of the equation it varies year to year. Last year number 2 was VT (followed by CO) but most years it is still other places here in NH as it will be this year. Only skied in NH at 2 other Mtn's last year once each (Whaleback and Cannon). While I skied a few times at Magic, 6 or so at Killington and once at Sugarbush.

jimk

I tend to be sampler of ski areas, but only get about 20-something ski days per winter and I haven't had a season pass at an individual ski area in over 25 years. About half my days are "local" to the Wash DC area; i. e., VA, PA, MD, or WV. Over the last half dozen years the other half of my ski days typically come from one trip to New England and one trip out West each winter. I have skied about 55 different ski areas since January 2008.

It's all good. :flag:

trackbiker

I live in PA but skied 10 days in VT and only 6 in PA. 4 in NY. 1 each in MA, NH, & UT.
Like jimk I ski all over. 23 days at 18 different ski areas.

MadMadWorld

I try to follow the snow. I prefer VT mountains because of the tree skiing but I have no loyalty after a big storm. If there was a big storm that hit MA or CT I would go there. As for when I go, usually it's on the weekend but I am often times strong armed by a few AZ members to take sick days. I also will go during the week if a mountain has a promotion (i.e. Rollback days).

mbedle

I most likely ski the most days at the local resort here in PA. Typically head to the local place every weekend, but only ski a couple of hours for some exercise. But as far as total hours skiing, that would have to be Vermont when on vacation up at Stowe.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well most days on the slope are MA. But those are usually short days at Wachusett. My actual skiing is now mostly in Vermont historically, but it's getting more and more into NH. SO I picked .... MA because of the way the question is phrased.

Cornhead

My local hill, Greek Peak, is my default weekend ski spot, season pass holder since 95. I used to ski nights after work , but night skiing isn't as appealing to me as it once was. Powder nights are a lot of fun though, I try not to miss them! I have several day trip options if I feel like breaking up the monotony of skiing weekends at home. Elk is equidistant from home, and I try to hit it a couple times per season. The Cats are an easy day trip at 100 miles one way. Brook's Barbeque one the way home has become a tradition.

One of my new favorite day trips is Snow Ridge, it is a bit further than the Cats, 150 miles, but it's dirt cheap, and powder days are plentiful. Legit, short, side country. I hope they remain open, they are for sale.

The nearest big mountain skiing is Gore, I've been lucky to ski there quite a bit over the last 2 yrs with the help of various discounts. I'd been passing it up for Whiteface, that I can ski cheaply anytime. I didn't ski WF at all last season.

I've used my vacation to ski New England the last couple years. I've bought the Fox44 ski card the last 2 seasons, a sweet deal. I've made the AZ Summit the last 3 years, the first 2 crashing the party, last yr attending officially. I was able to ski Colorado for the first time in May, and plan on returning this year in leu of skiing NE. It would be nice living closer to big mountains, but Cental NY isn't too bad for relative proximity, with plenty of options in between.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

hammer

NH, closest to home with a number of areas I can make it to on a day trip. Have enjoyed skiing in VT but it's more of a haul.

dlague

I actually checked VT in the poll but I then decided to look at last year - it turns out that we skied VT and NH equally and had a few trips to ME. However, there is a bias to the data. Gunstock is close and we go there for night skiing (3 trips), Ragged is close as well (3 trips).

Vermont Mountains - Killington, Jay Peak, Okemo, Magic, Sugarbush, Stowe, Burke, S6, Bolton Valley and Smuggs

New Hampshire - Cannon, Waterville, Bretton Woods, Ragged, GunStock, Dartmouth, Black and Pats

I have to say the quality of skiing leans a little more in favor of VT.

RustyGroomer

Magic. Very rarely if ever do I ski anywhere else. 1 early Bromley day last year before Magic spun.

BenedictGomez

I'm pretty much a 50:50 split between New York & Vermont, with maybe a day or two in Pennsy thrown in.

New York - Plattekill, Whiteface, Gore
Vermont - Smuggler's Notch, Jay Peak, Sugarbush

Those 6 mountains get the bulk of my ski trips. Gore being the recent addition the last few years via a free ticket won on AlpineZone trivia that has led to several repeat (paying) trips. Which demonstrates marketing comps can be an investment.

soposkier

Maine, NH and VT are fairly evenly distributed for me. I don't have a pass anywhere, but I do have free lodging for Sugarloaf and Saddleback. I would be there every weekend if it weren't as far. The past three years I have also gotten at 3 least Days in at epic pass resorts in CO. My brother lives out there so it is a cheap(er) ski vacation