• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go this Sunday/Monday?

uncleezno

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and to skiing, having been on a mountain for the first time in years a few weeks ago. A couple of you directed me and my wife to Jiminy Peak, and it was the perfect place for me to spend the day repeatedly falling over in the snow.

Wife wants to go again this weekend, and I'll give it another shot. We're thinking somewhere up in Vermont - I assume that Okemo/Stratton/Killington will have enough trails open that I can slowly meander my way down the short hills, while my wife can take off and do her own thing?

Also, the weather doesn't look so great for this weekend. What happens when rain meets packed granules?

Thanks!

loafasaur

You have to be REALLY dedicated to ski in the rain. You get wet. You either constantly have to wipe your goggles or deal with rain in your eyes. Did I mention that you get wet?

Rain itself doesn't make snow bad to ski on. It's when wet snow freezes that you get "New England powder," a/k/a ice. Even when well groomed it's extremely fast.

Sunday looks like a good day. Saturday and Monday don't. You might think about a day trip to Jiminy again; it's early enough in the season that it shouldn't be a complete mob scene. You'd be better off waiting for a 2-day trip.

Not to preach, but it sounds like a lesson might be a good idea. Skiing is counter-intuitive until you get the hang of it. Leaning forward, AWAY from the hill. Sticking your hips in and getting your shoulders--and weight--on the OUTSIDE ski. It seems bass-ackwards until you have the "aha" moment. One 2-hr lesson would be extremely productive.

But as long as you're having fun, go for it!

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I know it was not mentioned but North Vermont hills probably have the best conditions for these few days fyi.
I just checked the forecast from snowforecast.com which gives great weather for elevation of Stowe swiss all snow this weekend not ice that the valley will get, probably same with Jay, and Sugarbush but I didn't check.:beer:

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Looks like the forecasts I saw were not 100% accurate, I'm but tomorrow does look like a good day to go.

steamboat1

Higher elevation forecast northern new york and northern greens

.sunday...partly sunny. Highs in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 15 to 30 mph...becoming north 5 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Wind chill values in the lower teens. .sunday night...cloudy until midnight...then summits becoming obscured in clouds. A chance of snow until midnight...then mixed precipitation likely. Lows in the mid 20s early...rising into the lower 30s by morning. Southeast winds 20 to 35 mph...increasing to south 35 to 50 mph after midnight. Wind chill values in the mid teens. .monday...summits in and out of clouds. Rain. Highs around 40. Southwest winds 35 to 50 mph.