• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to ski tomorrow (Sat, 1/28): Cannon or Sunapee?

Bumpsis

Any speculations as to what to expect tomorrow at Cannon? Last 3 times I went, it was just a lot of ice or super hard pack and and I really detest skiing on such surface. I can, but it's just not fun for me.

My other choice is Sunapee which usually has better surface prep but it gets to be a zoo on Saturdays.
Other suggestions? I'm day tripping out of Boston.

Bumpsis

I predict icy at cannon. I want to do jay but Not sure it'll be worth.

I was just talking with a friend who lives in NH and it sounds like icy conditions for anything up north. Crampons and a backpack for a nice hike may be what I'll opt for.

JDMRoma

I predict icy at cannon. I want to do jay but Not sure it'll be worth.

Jays looking pretty good right now if you can believe their FB page. 8-10 last night.

Cannon picked up an inch ..... powder Day ! Ice ? What ice ??
We're going to be there but bringing our own ice !

Hopefully K Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Look guys...

Don't go to Jay this weekend.

It's not gonna be that good.

Probably be too windy with closed lifts.

I bet all that snow gets blown right off the trails.

It's too far a drive anyway.

Take my word for it... don't go to Jay this weekend. But if you see me up there say hello.

chuckstah

I'm thinking Bolton Valley. Fresh snow and Vista was on hold all day. Should still be fairly fresh tomorrow. Hopefully a lot more tonight.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Bumpsis I really don't know how the drive is for you but Northern VT is getting upslope snow. Chuckstah's Bolton Valley plan is a good one, they have had a good amount of recent snow.

If you're thinking Cannon I would say get an early start and get to Burke instead. Otherwise maybe Mad River Glen should be pretty fresh.

If NH is where you gotta go maybe Wildcat, or Sunday River. If you're limited by the drive then I'd maybe think Magic Mountain.

Jully

Bumpsis I really don't know how the drive is for you but Northern VT is getting upslope snow. Chuckstah's Bolton Valley plan is a good one, they have had a good amount of recent snow.

If you're thinking Cannon I would say get an early start and get to Burke instead. Otherwise maybe Mad River Glen should be pretty fresh.

If NH is where you gotta go maybe Wildcat, or Sunday River. If you're limited by the drive then I'd maybe think Magic Mountain.

Suprisingly, out of Boston Magic isn't much closer than the River is. All good suggestions though! I'd personally do Burke or Bolton. Jays a little far for a day trip for my tastes.

Bumpsis

Suprisingly, out of Boston Magic isn't much closer than the River is. All good suggestions though! I'd personally do Burke or Bolton. Jays a little far for a day trip for my tastes.

Quite right, getting to Magic from where I live, it's a long drive, over 3 hours. Cannon, although more miles, it's a bit shorter drive, but at the outer ring of my range. Burke, Mad River, Sugarbush or Sunday River are just out of reach for a day trip. It's a real bitch to do the drive back home after a day of skiing. Maybe for some epic conditions. A few inches of fresh, just don't do it for me anymore. I am getting old :)
I'll still do it if some sweet spring corn is in the picture, which given this shitty winter so far may be as soon as mid February.

JDMRoma

Look guys...

Don't go to Jay this weekend.

It's not gonna be that good.

Probably be too windy with closed lifts.

I bet all that snow gets blown right off the trails.

It's too far a drive anyway.

Take my word for it... don't go to Jay this weekend. But if you see me up there say hello.

Tuna's right again, jay just posted an update from today. Looks absolutely terrible.... I wouldn't 👌🙀

petergriffen

Never really know with those guys....I'll be hanging with the kids let us know how it was.
showing a foot overnight might make the day trip from concord tomorrow

Last edited:

prsboogie

Really? I live just east of Providence and Magic is a hair over 3.5. Sunday River is a hair under 5!