• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which chailift(s) will NOT open by end of 2023-24 season ?

Which chailift(s) will NOT open by end of 2023-24 season ?

• Belleayre - Doppelmayr 4-CLF "Lift 7"

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Gore - Skytrac 4-CLF “Bear Cub”

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whiteface - Doppelmayr 4-CLD "The Notch"

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Magic - Poma Alpha Quad "Black Line" (refurbished lift from Stratton)

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Berkshire East - Leitner-Poma 4-CLD "Summit"

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Middlebury Snowbowl - Skytrac 4-CLF “Sheehan”

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Loon - Doppelmayr 4-CLF “Timber Town”

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attitash - Leitner-Poma 4-CLD "The Mountaineer"

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Sunday River - Doppelmayr 6-CLD-B "Barker 6"

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Sugarloaf - Doppelmayr 4-CLD "Bucksaw Express" (refurbished lift from Big Sky)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Hawk

It’s sounds like they will be down to the wire and if they are, they don’t want skiers mixing with construction crews in that small area of roads and parking up there not to mention the general area around the lodge.

I haven’t been up there but I bet the walking ramp on the west side of the lodge is likely a transport road and the stairs on the East side would put you right in the construction zone.

From my perspective of being on the business end of a couple of things like this the construction crew will be more productive if there are no tourons allowed in the area.
How far behind are they? I mean it is August. Once they hang the chairs it is basically electical, comms and people working on the motor and finishing the exteriors. You would think by November they would not be running a bunch of heavy equipment and work trucks around the site.

Newpylong

That was my original thought in that they would be wrapping things up with the load test, final alignment, etc and be able to get people behind the terminal. Who knows, Jordan just seems like such a poor option.

Andrew B.

How far behind are they? I mean it is August. Once they hang the chairs it is basically electical, comms and people working on the motor and finishing the exteriors. You would think by November they would not be running a bunch of heavy equipment and work trucks around the site.
I don’t know if they are behind or not behind and I am not sure what their schedule was to begin with. What I heard was IF the lift isn’t ready to run and the area still needs to be clear then they will open in Jordan.

You know in this current market anything can be late. I am sure you know the issues with major electrical components? Just heard today that a piece we ordered 11 months ago that was supposed to be originally delivered the end of June and pushed off several time since and was confirmed last week to be shipped p is now shipping 9/4. This has directly pushed out turn over date by 2 weeks.

Hawk

No I totally get it. I just thought they might be further along. I guess I will just show up at MB's house and ask for a car pool to Jordan. LOL

Andrew B.

No I totally get it. I just thought they might be further along. I guess I will just show up at MB's house and ask for a car pool to Jordan. LOL
He will be skinning up Merrill hill 😂

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

That has been the rumor, especially considering they waited longer to start the process than last year over at Jordan. And the J8 got delayed a bit (granted they blamed weather and not enough snow down) as well. It could be an absolute S-show if they do given the lack of actual base facilities over there in Jordan. If they do J first, I hope the set up some type of remote CS either is n the hotel or with a trailer of some type in the parking area to help with passes, etc. Or plunk a trailer at the base of J8.
Cranmore had nice trailer/bathroom units set up this past year with their lodge being unfinished. They were the nicer than any of the SR current bathrooms.

drjeff

Just saw a social media post from Falline Construction (they're doing a bunch of the excavation and earth moving work for Barker). They were back filling what they said was the steepest tower footing location of all the towers today. Just over a 60 degree pitch on the downside of the tower footing!

Suggests to me that it's getting close to steel flying time. Early November could certainly be in play if all components are on site. Question then becomes, as has been mentioned already, with the geographic proximity of the Locke and Barker bases and the Barker Lodge right there, would there be enough space for for the Dopp Construction team working to finish Barker and get it load tested and the general public in that similar area accessing Locke?

Safety first

Andrew B.

I don’t know enough about lift construction but once the chairs are on the rope and they are in the start-up and testing phase maybe they will be comfortable enough to just block off the immediate area around the bottom building and open Locke.
If they do would they allow skiers under the haul rope to from SP and RS to Locke?
I suppose they could open with T2, upper punch to cascades and then feed in Monday Morning until the can open the barker 6.

Should be an exciting fall.

thebigo

7 bros wasn't finished until December. Loon moved early season to the 8 and blocked off all customer access to the gondola side until construction was compete. They did open the gondola while chairs were being strung and load tested but did not allow customers to ski near 7 bros. For loon, moving early season to the 8 amounted to a minor delay at most, nothing compared with SR being forced to move opening to Jordan. Still have two months until an optimistic opening day, suspect they open on Locke and barker is ready to go when temps allow for expansion.

On the topic of loon, there is a picture on liftblog of quad chairs strung on new south peak lift, may free up more resources for SR?

bigbob

Just saw a social media post from Falline Construction (they're doing a bunch of the excavation and earth moving work for Barker). They were back filling what they said was the steepest tower footing location of all the towers today. Just over a 60 degree pitch on the downside of the tower footing!

Suggests to me that it's getting close to steel flying time. Early November could certainly be in play if all components are on site. Question then becomes, as has been mentioned already, with the geographic proximity of the Locke and Barker bases and the Barker Lodge right there, would there be enough space for for the Dopp Construction team working to finish Barker and get it load tested and the general public in that similar area accessing Locke?

Safety first
I saw a picture of the bottom terminal and it looked prety far along. The top it looked like they were still pouring the concrete for the base of the terminal in today's pictures showing the towers being flown in.

jimmywilson69

I don’t know enough about lift construction but once the chairs are on the rope and they are in the start-up and testing phase maybe they will be comfortable enough to just block off the immediate area around the bottom building and open Locke.
Last year at Stowe in December, they were allowing people to ski under the new six person chair when it was in the "testing" stage. The area at the bottom terminal was blocked off and it was a sizeable area.

machski

It may also have to do with the fact that Barker pond was drained for the project as well. I'm not certain how this realignment of the lift base will affect the flow into Barker Basin yet. That may be the bigger concern with opening on Locke as usual. You would think with the base swinging to skier's left of the pond, opening on Locke wouldn't be much of an issue otherwise.