• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which Trails Are Open the Least?

ScottySkis

Devils Fiddle at Killington.

I swear to God I skied there every single year all year long growing up and it was never, ever open.

I don't actually know if I've ever skied it?

Although I haven't been at Killington in several years now.

That is an awesome trail, sorry you haven't got to enjoy it yet.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Devils Fiddle at Killington.

I swear to God I skied there every single year all year long growing up and it was never, ever open.

I don't actually know if I've ever skied it?

Although I haven't been at Killington in several years now.

Huh, I used to go to Killington about once a year back in the American Ski Company days and most of the time we went it was open. It really was one of the highlights of the trips. Maybe of the three years we went, it was open two of them. It must just be bad luck.

steamboat1

They usually blow snow on Fiddle every year with the exception of last year. It is one of the last they blow though. The tree runs Center Line & Devils Den are open less frequently. For the comment about Valley Plunge it's been open for quite some time already this season. I skied it back in January.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I can't recall ever seeing the upper liftline at Black Mtn (NH) open.....it's officially on the map as Upper Galloping Goose but not sure they ever open it? Looks fun though....best pitch on the mtn
It has been open every time I've been there. There is a groomer track that does switch backs up the pitch... it isn't very hard to open that trail, it doesn't go straight do the lift line as those sections are not cleared (not that you couldn't if there was enough snow, but it would take a lot of snow to clear all that twack).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Tramline at Cannon and Slides at Whiteface and you can pretty much /thread if you want to select the top two. Everything else is up for consideration below these two but some seasons these "trails" don't even open for a single day. And often times if Tramline does open, it is pretty damn boney.

skiking4

K 27 all of it at Hunter.

k27 is open all season..

Westway I'd say for Hunter.. This year it's Anna Purna...

As Dmc said, K27 (Upper & Lower) is open for probably at least a month every single winter. Right next to it is Upper Mossy Brook, and THAT, is never open.
Purna and 44, only one of them are open every single year because they each need like 3 ft of snow to open to the masses. So, they blow snow on one of them every year and in previous years it has been Purna, but now it is Westway for this season.

Anything off the double at Thunder Ridge (Big Birch) NY. Double ran 3 days last year, no joke.
The double runs all the time, maybe less so in the past two years, but it used to be open every day throughout the winter with the access of usually one or two diamonds up there and that long green around that was absolutely horrendous. anyways, that lift sucks, it goes downhill at one point and has one of the worst run outs ever for a 200' black diamond drop or so. A couple days a year they might open all the runs up there with only a couple inches of snow.

I could add the liftlines at Jiminy to this list. They're rarely ever open, moreso Upper Liftline than Upper Exhibition (which is a much better trail too, sadly).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tramline at Cannon and Slides at Whiteface and you can pretty much /thread if you want to select the top two. Everything else is up for consideration below these two but some seasons these "trails" don't even open for a single day. And often times if Tramline does open, it is pretty damn boney.

Loaf Snowfields? Probably open a little bit more than those two, but not much some seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been seasons in the last 20 where the Snowfields didn't open at all.

soposkier

Loaf Snowfields? Probably open a little bit more than those two, but not much some seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been seasons in the last 20 where the Snowfields didn't open at all.

Backside especially, still not open this year. Very dependent on how the wind is blowing when it snows. Hopefully next storm will open it up.

JPTracker

Sis Boom Bah at Jay. It is open so little they took it off the map.

bdfreetuna

The Jug at Berkshire East... at least it was open for a while this year.. might even be open again now.

Devil's Fiddle at K seems to be only open in the very peak of the season.

Juggernaut at K... lol I don't blame them honestly might as well just let the trees take this one over.

Magician obviously I don't think its been open yet this year... looks snowy enough to me lately as long as you are aware there are some boulders hidden under that snow. Which I think is obvious.

Basically all the trails I want to ski...

Last edited:

jrmagic

The Jug at Berkshire East... at least it was open for a while this year.. might even be open again now.

Devil's Fiddle at K seems to be only open in the very peak of the season.

Juggernaut at K... lol I don't blame them honestly might as well just let the trees take this one over.

Magician obviously I don't think its been open yet this year... looks snowy enough to me lately as long as you are aware there are some boulders hidden under that snow. Which I think is obvious.

Basically all the trails I want to ski...

Upoer Magician opened last weekend. Barring a major thaw it should stick around. If there hasnt been any real fresh for a bit stick hard skiers left.