• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whistler Blackcomb Feb 2014

POW

So obviously WB is not in the NE but I thought it'd be interesting to get a thread going regarding my upcoming trip to WB and thoughts on the deal/price compared to doing a week at one of the major NE resorts.

Here's my deal-7 nights for 2 people in a Queen loft right in the village with a 3 minute walk to one of the base gondolas. Also includes 5 days of skiing for a total with tax and canadian currency for $2,200. Airfare is looking around $650ish pp (non stop) on top. As a comparassion my ski club was offering a deal for 7 nights RT air (1 stop in chitown), motorcoach transportation, daily breakfast, 5 days skiing, 1 day of fresh tracks with breakfast.

So pretty close in price I don't get daily breakfast or coach transportation but I do get a nicer spot with more room and privacy without the aggrivation of traveling with a major group of people.

I didn't do too much digging for NE resorts, as WB is pretty much the most epic ski experience in the world. I did take a quick look at Stowe Mtn Lodge and was looking at something for around $500 a night which was just crazy!

And obviously there's cheaper trips out there, trying to focus the tread on higher end trips/resorts.

Let the countdown begin hopefully we're around 80 days or so for resorts to start making that white stuff!

Angus

won't need car so definitely investigate transportation - available from airport. I stayed in village, maybe 7 minute walk from gondola...with lift tickets, sounds like that's a good deal. IMO, focus on Blackcomb, definitely was my preference. the symphony area at whistler is great too.

ScottySkis

Nothing in the east can compared, have fun out there. I hear Vancouver is awesome city try checking out.

dmc

I'm kinda over coastal BC.
Interior BC more of my thing.

Edd

Is that non-stop to Vancouver? When I went we rented a car at Sea-Tac because the price difference was just too much to go into Vancouver. It would be nice to avoid those hours of driving and border hassles. $650 non-stop....oooo, sorta tempting. $500 would be a no-brainer.

SIKSKIER

Do not rent a car to drive to Whistler.Its useless when you arrive.Get one of the many coach transports from the airport(50-70$) and relax.If you need to travel a little out of the village use a cab or a shuttle.

POW

Yup 650 direct flight from ny to vancouver....rental car the following morning on the sea to sky highway. Agreed, there's really no need to rent a cattle the week...you have everything you need right in the village. On another note a cool thing to check out back in vancouver is the Granville island market. Cannot wait for my return to WB!

Newpylong

Favorite area personally - and they have done a lot in the 15 years since i've been. Looking at a trail map, the lift system has completely changed!

Edd

I'd like to do one of the interior BC cat operations where you stay in a remote cabin for a week. Whoever I've looked into it it seems to run about $3K. Anyone here done this? Tricky part is getting a group to commit at that price.

Huck_It_Baby

I'd like to do one of the interior BC cat operations where you stay in a remote cabin for a week. Whoever I've looked into it it seems to run about $3K. Anyone here done this? Tricky part is getting a group to commit at that price.

Same here. We might do this for 1/2 our trip but I'm still researching info.

SIKSKIER

Been about 9 times in the Monashee.Go do it.I love Mustang Powder. http://www.mustangpowder.com/default.htm

Nothing like it.They have 90 square miles of terrain.You don't need a group but it is nice.We always rented the whole cat(12).If you pay for 11 the 12th is free.Access is not bad.Fly into Kelowna the night before and about a 2 hour drive to the meeting spot.Takes a looong time to get there from the east coast but wow!It is getting very expensive though now.

Edd

Been about 9 times in the Monashee.Go do it.I love Mustang Powder. http://www.mustangpowder.com/default.htm

Nothing like it.They have 90 square miles of terrain.You don't need a group but it is nice.We always rented the whole cat(12).If you pay for 11 the 12th is free.Access is not bad.Fly into Kelowna the night before and about a 2 hour drive to the meeting spot.Takes a looong time to get there from the east coast but wow!It is getting very expensive though now.

Wow, pricey indeed. Sure looks good.

HowieT2

our trip is going to be a little less. wildhorse cat skiing for 3 days including lodging is about $1500. skiing at whitewater the day before and day after. All in with airfare from NYC should be about 3k.

Edd

our trip is going to be a little less. wildhorse cat skiing for 3 days including lodging is about $1500. skiing at whitewater the day before and day after. All in with airfare from NYC should be about 3k.

I was just researching this place today. I like the access from Spokane. If I may ask, to be clear, is that $3K for two people?

HowieT2

I was just researching this place today. I like the access from Spokane. If I may ask, to be clear, is that $3K for two people?

no, per person. Fly to Spokane, rent car, drive to Nelson, ski whitewater, cat ski 3 days at wild horse, ski whitewater again, back to Spokane for flight home.