• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who got some this past weekend? Report.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Who knows. Some power problem. Same thing last couple of years, if they run it too fast or load it too full it blows a breaker or something. It has become painfully slow lately. Now they're sometimes doing the 3 person load when every chair would be full. Two weeks ago I literally saw a mechanic using a hairdryer on it....
At the risk of starting an epic thread, it sounds like they should have considered replacing the Cannonball before buying a new fixed grip double that never runs. :eek:

Puck it

Who knows. Some power problem. Same thing last couple of years, if they run it too fast or load it too full it blows a breaker or something. It has become painfully slow lately. Now they're sometimes doing the 3 person load when every chair would be full. Two weeks ago I literally saw a mechanic using a hairdryer on it....

They replaced the motor, I thought. That may have Zoomer. I think they are shaving preventive maintenance to save a buck.

Huck_It_Baby

I'm thrilled to see that so many of us got out AND had a great time. It's about time, we suffered far too long

Saturday at Stowe was natural on top of groomers. A lot of fun, but the woods were far to scraped up to have fun.

Enjoy!

Not sure where you were skiing...I was skiing woods at Stowe on Saturday finding un-tracked lines all day long. Not top to bottom un-tracked but untracked with great conditions even where it was skiied up a bit.

abc

I guess I made the most of the storm since I skied both Saturday and Sunday. Plattekill Saturday and xc ski at Minnewaska State Park Sunday (had a dinner to go to Sunday, and Saturday wasn't great so not worth ditching the dinner)

It was fun change after such a long time of skiing man-made. But it was far from epic. In fact, it wasn't quite as good as the New Year's storm. More like typical early season storm which it really is. Fluff on top of icy groomers at Platty on Saturday. So it was moments of joy mixed with moments of terror. Sunday x-c was too soft and too slow, hard work and such. More a workout rather than an enjoyable ski day.

ScottySkis

I guess I made the most of the storm since I skied both Saturday and Sunday. Plattekill Saturday and xc ski at Minnewaska State Park Sunday (had a dinner to go to Sunday, and Saturday wasn't great so not worth ditching the dinner)

It was fun change after such a long time of skiing man-made. But it was far from epic. In fact, it wasn't quite as good as the New Year's storm. More like typical early season storm which it really is. Fluff on top of icy groomers at Platty on Saturday. So it was moments of joy mixed with moments of terror. Sunday x-c was too soft and too slow, hard work and such. More a workout rather than an enjoyable ski day.

Sorry about platty being like that, love that hill but snow making after rai@ just takes a long times for them to recover.

hammer

Thoughts on how conditions will be in Southern/Central NH this weekend? Thinking about heading to Crotched, Ragged, or maybe Gunstock, but only if there will be more than hard packed granular...

Mpdsnowman

I was at jay sunday and monday. Tram and freezer on wind hold but we did make the only tram up in the am..
it was all tracked out but we did find some leftover powder. They like all of vermont need snow...

abc

Sorry about platty being like that, love that hill but snow making after rai@ just takes a long times for them to recover.
I was a bit disappointed with the condition. But sounds like that's the same for many other mountains. I just don't quite understand why it's the case.

2 weeks ago, after the big R* day mid-week, everyone expect all the mountains would be in bad shape. Turned out the Cats survived reasonably well. After hearing good reports, I skied that weekend on the groomers. They were, well, groomed. Not icy. Maybe a bit hard pack but definitely no ice sheets.

So how that well groomed surface turned into sheets of ice under the new snow was a bit beyond me!

With only 8-10", I knew I would hit the hard pack beneath the fluff. But I didn't expect what was beneath being sheet ICE at some spots!!! :(

Or could it be we just had too much expectation?

Also, Platty closed quite many trails throughout the day. I counted at least 5 or 6 closed one by lunch time. (it went from 38 Saturday morning down to 18 Sunday morning -- that's why I didn't go up on Sunday). Not 100% sure what was the reason. Most of them were trails without man-made base. So I suspect dirt were showing. But the few trails they didn't close, despite dirts & rocks, was actually ski better than the ones alternating between chopped powder and sheet ice.

I'm off the snow for this weekend (big holiday, crowded and expensive). So yes, I had high hope for last weekend's "big dump" and was somewhat disappointed at the result. Though that's not uniquely Platty's issue. Sounds like similar condition elsewhere too.

Still, I'm happy they got a lot of people and sold a lot of lift tickets. Have to hope those extra people aren't too disappionted and stay away as a result.

darent

skied 8" of fluff at sunday river friday and then drove up to sugarloaf for the summit, snowed all day at the loaf and wore my legs out, great conditions, first tracks sunday at 7:30{ thanks nick and steph} and went all day, jan and I went over to west mountain in the afternoon to get out of the crowds and found two nice bump runs that we skied till our legs gave out

jaywbigred

skied a couple hrs fri in light snow, Saturday was great early but got tracked out w the quickness, which should be expected. very windy too, some spots had 3 feet, others had exposed ice. sunday was good too, warm and sunny at times. monday may havebeen the best snow but we also got donut glazed and visibility was poor as the day progressed.

all in all i woukdnt call it epic but it was adrastic improvement over the ice fest the weekend before.