• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who has the best natural terrain open?

MadMadWorld

Saddleback was prime last weekend, can't imagine anyone else has better conditions right now (maybe Stowe or Jay if anywhere????)

Anyone been to Smuggs this week? They are reporting Freefall, Robin's, Lift Line, and Blackhole but I would be curious to hear how much of the trail is actually open or if it's just from the cutovers.

xwhaler

Looks like Cannon re-opened Mittersill today....and will take a "wait and see" approach for the wknd.
I will give it a try tomorrow if it's open but doubtful its the best natural conditions in New England right now. Agree with 'the Back as prob being #1

Huck_It_Baby

I've been hanging at Smuggs and Stowe the last 2 weeks and natural coverage is still great!

Last weekend and yesterday I was up on the Chin and finding dry, mid-winter like snow. It was 19 degrees and windy at the base when I pulled in around 8am. Felt like February.

I'm still skiing the Chin down to 108 via Hellbrook if that tells you anything about base depth.

Chin1.jpg

BigJay

Climbed yesterday and rode hellbrook. Sweet stuff. First time i head down to $towe to ride... Felt like exploring south this weekend and the terrain was a lot of fun. Started off from smuggs. Didn't have time to lap on that side... But sqeezed in a small chute to finish things off. Perfect day!

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Clombed yesterday and rode hellbrook. Sweet stuff. First time i head down to $towe to ride... Felt like exploring south this weekend and the terrain was a lot of fun. Started off from smuggs. Didn't have time to lap on that side... But sqeezed ina small chute to finish things off. Perefect day!

Nice! I'm a BIG fan of Jay and had some great days there this year but it's hard to beat the terrain in the Notch!

BigJay

Nice! I'm a BIG fan of Jay and had some great days there this year but it's hard to beat the terrain in the Notch!

I will definately go back for more... the main reason i stick w/ Jay is that there is not as much competition... you can get a late start and not worry about getting first tracks. Most of our areas are far and deep in the woods... so we don't compete with Inbound-Heros who go out exploring and sideskip down a line... That was my main concern with Mansfield... When we reached the summit, there was soooo many people up there... I wondered how it would be different in the winter? I wouldn't mind being out there when it's blowing and visibility isn't all good, maybe it keeps folks away?

I will definately be back for more next year! By parking on the smuggs side, it's 1h drive only... not that bad.

I normaly drive down to Stowe in the summer to ride. There are so many great trails within town limits.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. I wondered how it would be different in the winter? I wouldn't mind being out there when it's blowing and visibility isn't all good, maybe it keeps folks away?

You would be pleasantly surprised. I've had the Chin all to myself on numerous occasions. There are plenty of days where there's a conga line heading up there, but others were the weather isn't even all that bad and people stay away for some odd reason.

The last time I was up there a few years ago, I had it all to myself.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/70928-Stowe-1-23-2010?highlight=Stowe

MadMadWorld

I've been hanging at Smuggs and Stowe the last 2 weeks and natural coverage is still great!

Last weekend and yesterday I was up on the Chin and finding dry, mid-winter like snow. It was 19 degrees and windy at the base when I pulled in around 8am. Felt like February.

I'm still skiing the Chin down to 108 via Hellbrook if that tells you anything about base depth.

View attachment 8621

Great shot man. Skied the same out on Friday. See a few of my tracks there!

Huck_It_Baby

I will definately go back for more... the main reason i stick w/ Jay is that there is not as much competition... you can get a late start and not worry about getting first tracks. Most of our areas are far and deep in the woods... so we don't compete with Inbound-Heros who go out exploring and sideskip down a line... That was my main concern with Mansfield... When we reached the summit, there was soooo many people up there... I wondered how it would be different in the winter? I wouldn't mind being out there when it's blowing and visibility isn't all good, maybe it keeps folks away?

I will definately be back for more next year! By parking on the smuggs side, it's 1h drive only... not that bad.

I normaly drive down to Stowe in the summer to ride. There are so many great trails within town limits.

Thats funny because I have found that Jay gets tracked pretty quick on a powder day but I think that is true of any resort. I can usually find good snow in the Dip or West bowl but even Big Jay sees a lot of action it seems.

I like Mansfield and the Notch area because it is SO expansive once you get off the map and people have been quietly cutting lines in those woods for years. Mansfield has a LOT of nooks and crannies and different aspects and drainages to explore. I've spent a ton of time just skinning the West side of the mountain from Underhill away from the Stowe crowds.

Mansfield has just about everything you could ask of an East Coast mountain. An above tree line ridge, chutes, cliffs, open glades, tight glades, natural slides! If you ski from the Top of the Chin down to 108 you are getting maybe 2,800 ft of vertical. Hard to beat.

BigJay

Mansfield has just about everything you could ask of an East Coast mountain. An above tree line ridge, chutes, cliffs, open glades, tight glades, natural slides! If you ski from the Top of the Chin down to 108 you are getting maybe 2,800 ft of vertical. Hard to beat.

I totally agree with that!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Really hard to beat skiing off the Chin. Hellbrook is one of, if not the, best well known off piste line in the east. Was just there last week. That run still blows me away.

BigJay

Really hard to beat skiing off the Chin. Hellbrook is one of, if not the, best well known off piste line in the east. Was just there last week. That run still blows me away.

yep! It had been a while since i've had the thrill of riding something as steep and sustained! I would love to rip a run down top to bottom without stopping... Maybe that's whati'll do next time: buy a ticket and run it 2-3 times in a day! You know, a nice snowy weekend in march... Still a good deal... Even at 90$.

MadMadWorld

yep! It had been a while since i've had the thrill of riding something as steep and sustained! I would love to rip a run down top to bottom without stopping... Maybe that's whati'll do next time: buy a ticket and run it 2-3 times in a day! You know, a nice snowy weekend in march... Still a good deal... Even at 90$.

Lots of people do that

Huck_It_Baby

Maybe that's whati'll do next time: buy a ticket and run it 2-3 times in a day! You know, a nice snowy weekend in march... Still a good deal... Even at 90$.

Yeah this is what I have been doing lately.

I pay $67 for a Stowe ticket in regular season and $45 for late season. Not too bad to lap amazing terrain!

MadMadWorld

Yeah this is what I have been doing lately.

I pay $67 for a Stowe ticket in regular season and $45 for late season. Not too bad to lap amazing terrain!

Have you made it out towards the Adam's Apple/Lake of Clouds area? Wondering what the situation is out there.

BigJay

Have you made it out towards the Adam's Apple/Lake of Clouds area? Wondering what the situation is out there.

There were tracks heading out North (west, or to the left of the lake... whatever) this weekend. Saw a group of 4-5 head out there. They were guided by a local.