• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Will Be The King of Spring 2012

Who will be King?

• Sunday River

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Loon

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Stowe

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sugarbush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Peak

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

lou12572

well if the poll is any indication i may hit jay:smile:
within my range for friday. i hope all you guys indicateing
jay are right. hope they pile on the snow:snow:

abc

Except it's not really the kind of SPRING. More like whose winter got a bit stretched. It's barely spring...

bigbob

Superstar today

3a319eda.jpg

bigbob

If Killington closed at 5 PM today and Jay closed at 4 PM, but may reopen next weekend, no clear answer yet.

jimmywilson69

the PA hills, including 7 Springs in Western PA have been closed for over a month.

My buddy is going to skin there after work tonight.

steamboat1

I think K pulled it off for New England since they closed at 5pm Sun. & Jay closed at 4pm. Even if Jay opens next weekend they're still closed as of now making K king for the longest continuous ski season in the east. I read one place in Quebec is still open but they're not part of this survey. I forget who I voted for but it wasn't K. Never expected them to be the last standing this year. With the exception of the first 50 feet of the head wall on Superstar the rest of the trail still had plenty of snow when I left Sat. So did upper/lower Skyelark & lower Bittersweet but there were a couple of breaks on those trails. They may have been able to push for another week but we'll never know now. Last year there was more snow on the trails when they closed May 1.

jerryg

I think that if Jay opens next weekend, you'll be wrong. The thread isn't who had the longest continuous season, but rather, who is the king of spring. Jay open next weekend = KOS.

I think K pulled it off for New England since they closed at 5pm Sun. & Jay closed at 4pm. Even if Jay opens next weekend they're still closed as of now making K king for the longest continuous ski season in the east. I read one place in Quebec is still open but they're not part of this survey. I forget who I voted for but it wasn't K. Never expected them to be the last standing this year. With the exception of the first 50 feet of the head wall on Superstar the rest of the trail still had plenty of snow when I left Sat. So did upper/lower Skyelark & lower Bittersweet but there were a couple of breaks on those trails. They may have been able to push for another week but we'll never know now. Last year there was more snow on the trails when they closed May 1.

gmcunni

I think K pulled it off for New England since they closed at 5pm Sun. & Jay closed at 4pm. Even if Jay opens next weekend they're still closed as of now making K king for the longest continuous ski season in the east.

Killington closed for a day already this season so the "continuous operation" argument is out the window.

Riverskier

If Jay opens next weekend, they are the King of Spring.

The only people that seem to care about the "continuous season" are K homers, as "concidently" K won't operate on a weekends only basis. Most others seem to agree that weekends only early or late season make sense from an operational standpoint, and the open/close dates count in related discussions. Most continuous days is a seperate point entirely or an interesting footnote.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
If Jay opens next weekend, they are the King of Spring.

The only people that seem to care about the "continuous season" are K homers, as "concidently" K won't operate on a weekends only basis. Most others seem to agree that weekends only early or late season make sense from an operational standpoint, and the open/close dates count in related discussions. Most continuous days is a seperate point entirely or an interesting footnote.
+1

If Jay opens next weekend as it probably would, it will beat K as KOS. Jay has made it to last day of the season in New England (shared with other or alone) since 2009. The same can be said about Mont St-Sauveur that has made it to the last weekend every year since 2007 and has offered May skiing since then.

MSS (if they open next weekend) can along claim "Longest season in the East" as it opened one day after K and SR on October 30. BTW, they closed on May 22 last season, one week after Jay.

I don't care who wins...as long as there is skiing. I'll beat them both and continue to ski past the last chair as long as I stay healthy.

Last edited:

snowmonster

If Jay opens next weekend (please let that rain turn into snow), then it will be the King of Spring. If it doesn't open, then it's K. When I left yesterday afternoon, the place looked like it could go on daily for a week. Unfortunately, there were only a few skiers. If Jay opens, I think people who are into this whole King of Spring business owe them a visit. You have to support ski areas that get it and that go for it.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I think people who are into this whole King of Spring business owe them a visit. You have to support ski areas that get it and that go for it.
Go to Jay if you can. Go to St-Sauveur if you can. Go to Seven Springs tomorrow if you can.

MadPat Blog update:
Update 3pm: No one is spinning today, but with the new snow, Seven Springs (Pennsylvania) which has been closed for weeks will spin tomorrow for one day only.