• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's buying their 21/22 pass early?

KustyTheKlown

i havent been to saratoga proper, just shows at spac and passing thru on the interstate. my impression is its too expensive for me compared to a place like troy, which is a shit-hole on the come up.

sorry for derailing this thread into conversations about small cities in new york state, but at least i think its interesting fodder for convo

thebigo

i think a part of that is proving that work from home is real and possibly permanent, opens up rural options.
The days of skilled/educated people getting up, putting on a button down shirt, warehousing their kids for 10 hours and wasting two hours commuting everyday are behind us. There are simply too many societal benefits to remote work; in this sense the pandemic was very well timed. Bigger question for me is whether business travel returns. I suspect it will, there are aspects of the customer/vendor relationship that are not well suited to Teams. Unless airlines start offering international direct flights from rural airports, northeast people are still stuck within a few hour radius of JFK or BOS.

Domeskier

The days of skilled/educated people getting up, putting on a button down shirt, warehousing their kids for 10 hours and wasting two hours commuting everyday are behind us. There are simply too many societal benefits to remote work; in this sense the pandemic was very well timed. Bigger question for me is whether business travel returns. I suspect it will, there are aspects of the customer/vendor relationship that are not well suited to Teams. Unless airlines start offering international direct flights from rural airports, northeast people are still stuck within a few hour radius of JFK or BOS.
I really hope you are right about remote work, but my company inked a 15 year lease on shiny new office space just months before the pandemic hit, and I’m sure they are itching to force us back as soon as they can to get their money’s worth out of it....

abc

I really hope you are right about remote work, but my company inked a 15 year lease on shiny new office space just months before the pandemic hit, and I’m sure they are itching to force us back as soon as they can to get their money’s worth out of it....
It will be very interesting. My department head is a stick in the mud work in the office type. We had to take attendance like kids in school!

All the mid-level managers are sick and tired of that but don't dare to say anything. The pandemic is kind of a poetic justice as far as our office is concern.

I hope the managers will resist going back to the office AT ALL! Because once we did, it'd probably be back to 5 days a week, which will be the time I start looking for another job, or better still asked to be laid off. ;)

dblskifanatic

Feel like I clicked on one thread and then went into the twilight zone of like three different conversations. What is this thread again?

snoseek

As someone who will never likely work from home I'm rooting for you all to get back to the office and back to the cities so I can afford to live in my home state

jimmywilson69

if companies want to retain good staff they better be offering some sort of hybrid office/work from home. My boss told 2 different people in interviews that participated in within the past 6 months that there will be some sort of hybrid option once we come out of the "work from home" phase. Our president and her husband who are majority owners were of the belief, at least for the first 6 months, that the virus was overblown and people were overreacting... So they feel we need to be in the office, but they are going to have to accept that moving forward hybrid is the way of the future.

I live 4 miles from my office and it takes me 10 minutes 1 way to go there. Even I am saving an hour a day not having to prepare for work and go to the office. So working form home 2-3 days a week would be a huge bonus.

x10003q

We have to remember that not everybody has the space for permanent WFH or wants to donate the space for WFH to their employer. I am in sales and have 'WFH' for years. All I need is a laptop. Having my wife WFH with her 3 screen set-up dominating our dining room for the last year has forced me to take phone calls outside, in the car or in our bedroom. I have to tiptoe around the house in order not to be part of her never ending zoom meetings.

Going forward, she might be home 1 day a week (like pre covid) and can get away with just the laptop. Having us both WFH has been a hassle. We used to live in a 1BR in NYC. I cannot even imagine how awful that would have been.

Rate this post positively

Dickc

Not sure about what I am going to do. With the past history of back issues, and the current issue of having a difficult time recovering my cardio fitness, I may just go Indy pass as many of those places are smaller with less sustained vertical. I tried Cranmore two weeks ago and found the 1,200 sustained vertical beat the crap out of me. The terrain? The legs handled it well, but the last time I was THAT out of breath, I was on Aspen Ajax about a dozen runs in, the day after flying out of Logan! Because of my age, this is going to take some time to rebuild the core.

1dog

Not sure about what I am going to do. With the past history of back issues, and the current issue of having a difficult time recovering my cardio fitness, I may just go Indy pass as many of those places are smaller with less sustained vertical. I tried Cranmore two weeks ago and found the 1,200 sustained vertical beat the crap out of me. The terrain? The legs handled it well, but the last time I was THAT out of breath, I was on Aspen Ajax about a dozen runs in, the day after flying out of Logan! Because of my age, this is going to take some time to rebuild the core.
but you're getting out there DickC - thats the key. To quote an otherwise stupid commercial ' a body that's in motion stays in motion. . . . ' don't stop moving is the key.

Imagine farmers in the 18th or 19th century. . . . arthritis still happened - worked thru it - gotta make the donuts ( or turns) or feed the cows . . .

Dickc

but you're getting out there DickC - thats the key. To quote an otherwise stupid commercial ' a body that's in motion stays in motion. . . . ' don't stop moving is the key.

Imagine farmers in the 18th or 19th century. . . . arthritis still happened - worked thru it - gotta make the donuts ( or turns) or feed the cows . . .
That is the crux of my problem. With the back ailments I more of less stopped moving for three years and am now 65. Very tough to rebound at this age. My secret weapon in skiing IS my age. Go look at ticket prices for 65 and over. Bretton woods is 39 dollars weekdays. I'm just not quite up to a two and a half hour drive yet! Macintyre in Manchester, NH is FREE for 65 and over, hence why I have three days there. Plus its only a one hour Interstate drive.

gittist

Got an email (along with every other passholder) from Mr Katz the Vail CEO in which he says "On March 23, we will be releasing our 2021/22 season passes with some exciting changes we believe you will very much appreciate. " Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like it?

abc

Got an email (along with every other passholder) from Mr Katz the Vail CEO in which he says "On March 23, we will be releasing our 2021/22 season passes with some exciting changes we believe you will very much appreciate. " Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like it?
The more something is hyped, the less is there for real.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I'm not going anywhere for a while, but for some reason, Saratoga sticks in my mind. It's got a couple of very attractive things going for it. College town so remains young and vital. The performing arts center. Restaurants and bars. The track which brings a lot of life to town. Easy access to outdoor recreation. One hour on the nose to Gore. Close enough to Albany for any city related needs and an airport.
Building a house within walking Distance of West Mtn. 35-40 mins to Gore. 1.5 to Killington and Whiteface. 10 mins to Lake George. Saratoga Springs prices have gotten out of hand. My son went to Grad school at Sage in Troy. They all called Troy, Troilet.

Newpylong

Troy is a lot better than it was. I went to school in Schenectady (Union), and we used to call it Sketchectady too. It's gone through quite the transition as well.

icecoast1

Troy is a lot better than it was. I went to school in Schenectady (Union), and we used to call it Sketchectady too. It's gone through quite the transition as well.
Ive always found Troy to be absolutely terrible, although there are some nice small towns in that area

ThatGuy

Ive always found Troy to be absolutely terrible, although there are some nice small towns in that area
I grew up in a small town outside Troy and can 100% confirm it is still a terrible city. Definitely better than 20 years ago but that isn’t saying much. They have done their best to appear better so hipsters want to move there for its one nice street but beyond that there is a high likelihood that after dark you will be in for a bad time if you wander. Saratoga and the surrounding area are much nicer although more expensive. Lake George Village or Glens Falls are cheaper and under an hour from Gore and under two from Kili and Whiteface.

dblskifanatic

Getting this back on track! We pulled the trigger on the Epic Military Veteran Pass and Epic Veteran Dependent Pass. It gives us everything the full Epic Pass has but no Partner resorts in BC and Telluride etc. We are good with that! We purchase the A Basin pass earlier so the combo is designed to give us a Saturday option. Plan on making many long weekend trips. We will hit the Epic ski areas here in NE in between. Trying to talk my wife into adding the Ikon base to the arsenal she is not buying into the idea of another $729 X 2. Wish there was a Ikon Veteran Pass option.

any others biting on the Epic Local of Northeast Value Pass?