• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do people stop skiing for the season?

machski

Is that earlier than usual for Stowe? I know they typically close a bit earlier than their neighbors to the north and south, but that still seems earlier than I remember. For some reason I thought they usually made it to the 3rd weekend of April

They are owned by Vail now, need we say more?

Teleskier

While I fear there will be plenty of things in coming years to pin on Vail, this one had nothing to do with them.

It was simply tied to the calendar with Easter being a week earlier than usual this year, thus closing on the second week instead of the usual third.

Last edited:

kingslug

Half their trails are open..frozen but open. They will probably close like that. One thing vail had done for the place...those little red circle things on the little poles are.EVERYWHERE...and SLOW skiing signs..awesome! Now lets see if they charge for parking near the Gondi next season.

Hawk

Believe me, there is plenty of coverage at Stowe. The trail closures have more to do with icy conditions on steeper non groomed terrain. They will be almost 100% open once it warms up. I am going there Sunday because I have a free ticket. I can report back. This is the trouble with being owned by a corporate entity that is not located at the ski area. Sugarbush has been marketing that they are independently owned and will operate as long as there is snow and people are interested in skiing.

Teleskier

Believe me, there is plenty of coverage at Stowe. The trail closures have more to do with icy conditions on steeper non groomed terrain. They will be almost 100% open once it warms up. I am going there Sunday because I have a free ticket. I can report back.

Please do!! I can't go this weekend but already scheduled the vacation time for next weekend, hoping the snow holds up for another week.

kingslug

I'll be there next weekend for the close :(
They have plenty of snow, and yes they closed all the hairball runs due to ICE.

drjeff

Pretty simple, a day of some warm and some rain followed by a hard freeze over what is still a GOOD snowpack, will give most everyone who's open still the following choices..... #1 groom out a few core trails to make them ski/rideable for the public and then leave a bunch of the other trails (often the bump runs) closed, but still bumped up until it softens up again, or #2 burn a bunch of diesel and groom out everything to keep the trail count where it was before the freeze up....

Still amazes me how many people seem to think that it's either some conspiracy theory to close up early or that 1 day of warm and rain will cause an area to fully melt out verses the trail count drop being done for proper snow management and/or preservation of the already formed bumps that are such a staple of Spring skiing and riding enjoyment.....

abc

While I fear there will be plenty of things in coming years to pin on Vail, this one had nothing to do with them.

It was simply tied to the calendar with Easter being a week earlier than usual this year, thus closing on the second week instead of the usual third.
It may have nothing to do with Vail. They just need to close early so they could start on some more "upgrades". ;)

Bingo. Ex the mountain, Stowe has been ruined by all the "upgrades" for people who dont like skiing. The terrain's still awesome, everything else is just a sad, sad, shame.
I agree the terrain is awesome, and good snow often. But the past few winter, so much snow fell in S VT or even the Cats. I haven't been motivated to go north. Save on gas/lodging money and vacation days to go out west instead.

urungus

Easter is tied to the full moon and so can vary up to a month from year to year (eg Easter Sunday was March 23 in 2008 and April 24 in 2011) ... seems crazy to tie your closing day to that, rather than a specific date or the conditions on the ground.

Teleskier

Easter is tied to the full moon and so can vary up to a month from year to year (eg Easter Sunday was March 23 in 2008 and April 24 in 2011) ... seems crazy to tie your closing day to that, rather than a specific date or the conditions on the ground.

Full disclosure - I don't know for sure that it's true. I've just heard that it's tied to Easter around town enough and from enough people over the years, that I just accepted it as true. Seemed true this year. Didn't really pay attention to past years (when I'd close out the season at Kmart).

Pretty simple, a day of some warm and some rain followed by a hard freeze over what is still a GOOD snowpack, will give most everyone who's open still the following choices..... #1 groom out a few core trails to make them ski/rideable for the public and then leave a bunch of the other trails (often the bump runs) closed, but still bumped up until it softens up again, or #2 burn a bunch of diesel and groom out everything to keep the trail count where it was before the freeze up....

Still amazes me how many people seem to think that it's either some conspiracy theory to close up early or that 1 day of warm and rain will cause an area to fully melt out verses the trail count drop being done for proper snow management and/or preservation of the already formed bumps that are such a staple of Spring skiing and riding enjoyment.....

These are excellent points. The management likely would go with #1 - which happily is also what we'd want as skiers.

My fear was that some powerful fog or rain or tropical warm fronts would arrive and melt everything before I can get back up there again. Matching my sadness that XC is over for me here in my local trails and orchards around my house, since that has all now melted.

So I agree - I can relax a bit about the resorts. It'll still be there. Thank you!

Last edited:

cdskier

These are excellent points. The management likely would go with #1 - which happily is also what we'd want as skiers.

Except Sugarbush...which will typically leave ungroomed trails open as long as they aren't pure glare ice. Simply rock hard frozen bumps won't result in closures typically. So if Sugarbush ever does close a trail after a thaw/freeze event...you know it must be really bad.

(Note - This is not a complaint by any means...I like this policy but it is different than many other areas so people not familiar with SB just need to be careful as they could be in for a surprise)

mikec142

Bingo. Ex the mountain, Stowe has been ruined by all the "upgrades" for people who dont like skiing. The terrain's still awesome, everything else is just a sad, sad, shame.

I really don't understand this... I mean I guess I can if you believe that the ski area can thrive based on skier visits only.

ThinkSnow

What is this shame you speak of? If you're referring to the new Lodge at Stowe with ice rink, theater, etc. that had nothing to do with Vail ownership. Vail purchased Stowe in 2017, and the upgrades were all started previously.

BenedictGomez

What is this shame you speak of? If you're referring to the new Lodge at Stowe with ice rink, theater, etc. that had nothing to do with Vail ownership. Vail purchased Stowe in 2017, and the upgrades were all started previously.

I realize that, but it will get even worse now under Vail. As if all that construction abomination you speak of (and silly gondola that runs about 3 feet ) wasnt bad enough, now that Vail owns it all the ski club days will be removed, friendly discounts will be stripped, and it will get even more corporate. Just wait for it. They'll probably start charging you to park in a few years if they can somehow swing that. I am not a fan of mega-resorts, and we're getting to the point where almost everything is a giant ski conglomerate of one form or another. Whatever, I'm over it; the time when I will truly rage is in about 5 years when Vail buys Smuggler's Notch, that's when I'll go postal.

JimG.

Staff member
I realize that, but it will get even worse now under Vail. As if all that construction abomination you speak of (and silly gondola that runs about 3 feet ) wasnt bad enough, now that Vail owns it all the ski club days will be removed, friendly discounts will be stripped, and it will get even more corporate. Just wait for it. They'll probably start charging you to park in a few years if they can somehow swing that. I am not a fan of mega-resorts, and we're getting to the point where almost everything is a giant ski conglomerate of one form or another. Whatever, I'm over it; the time when I will truly rage is in about 5 years when Vail buys Smuggler's Notch, that's when I'll go postal.

We get it already...you prefer skiing at resorts locked into the 1950's. And prices from the 1950's too.

Ski resorts are not catering to singles or DINKs anymore. The big money is in families and families demand extra amenities and luxury accomodations. As you admit, the snow and terrain at Stowe is killer and always will be. To me that's all that matters.

Not looking forward to your definition of going postal.

BenedictGomez

We get it already...you prefer skiing at resorts locked into the 1950's. And prices from the 1950's too.

Ski resorts are not catering to singles or DINKs anymore. The big money is in families and families demand extra amenities and luxury accomodations. As you admit, the snow and terrain at Stowe is killer and always will be. To me that's all that matters.

Not looking forward to your definition of going postal.

We get it already...you prefer sushi when you ski. And mineral spas.

I just like to ski.

To each his/her own.

bdfreetuna

It'll be a sad day when Vail buys Smuggs unless they are extremely conscious about not screwing it up.

I don't consider replacing the doubles with Quads "screwing it up". Pretty much anything else they would do, yeah.