• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why would you not move out West?

snoseek

Well actually not everybody at Vail is pretentious, many nice people, and I love skiing there, BUT on many trips outwest Utah, California etc. I found people who were just so self satisfied to lord it over the peasants from back East, I've had a few bad days in the West including a whole week of rain and ice at Park City with three little kids, Meanwhile this week I saw Al Pacino in Merchant of Venice on Sunday, ate a great meal with a view of the Statue of Liberty in Jersey City on Wed night, Was on the slopes at Hunter with good conditions on Thursday and may see Black 47 next week at Connally's in NYC tonight. to quote Mick Jagger "You can't always get what you want , but......."

Most of those "pretensious" people you see on Vacation at Vail, Aspen, Park City are from the East or Socal. Go to Loveland, Brighton, or Monarch if you want to see West Coast people. Go to Vail and it's mostly people from other places......

JimmyPete

Can't agree the people that I find insufferable out west are generally people from out west, You almost always tell us Easterners in the bars and restaurants because we are loud. I really didn't mean every westerner was a ski snob , but I hate when they completely lord it over Eastern skiing , I've had great days in Vermont and a few bad days in the Rockies. I was on the lift at Squaw one day when some guy after learning where we were from, said he saw no reason to ski in the East , I simply replied "there is one good reason....Less a**holes"

mondeo

Very little in the way of aerospace near mountains, East or West. Boeing is unionized, if they weren't I'd be living in Seattle in a month with a season pass to Whistler.

I'd love to live around Whislter, but there's nothing there for work. I'm one of the rare people that wouldn't agree that a bad day skiing is better than a good day at work.

RISkier

I'd say mostly work and family. I'd also say my wife would take more convincing to move West than I. NE has lots going for it. Great scenery with mountains and rocky coasts. Tons of history. I'm not a big lets go into the city kind of person but NYC and Boston have so much to offer. And you can jump on a train and get to Philly or DC pretty easily. Great restaurants. Great educational institutions. Where else do you get rivalries like Red Sox versus Yankees. Overall far less "McDonaldfied" than many parts of the country. There's a lot to like about NE. If I were to go West I'd probably target somewhere less traveled. I could see someplace like Bozeman or Whitefish being very attractive.

twinplanx

Ocean, job & family, in that order. Also like others have said about where there from, L.I. is home. Leaving would sorta be like admitting defeat... That said if the chips fell into place Cali would be intresting...

ERJ-145CA

Jersey's home, family, the shore. I've got 2 ski areas 15 minutes from home and another 8 or so within 2 hours, Vermont about 3 1/2 hours. Also 2 hours to the beach in the summer.

ZYDECORICH

Friends, family, work. I like it better as a visiting destination. seems to be more fun that way. East Coast is in the blood. Most people i know who have lived here and then lived out there (mostly cali but other places also) have returned either for lack of decent jobs or the pace wasn't upbeat enough. i think the skiing as a whole can't be compared but thats not all i do. there is nothing like NYC on a Sat night at 2am.. you can do or go to a million places. the Long island beaches as well as Cape Cod and Maine beach's are outstanding. there is nothing like the food in chinatown in NYC,all kinds of reason's. i like the fact i am 50 minutes from NYC, live in an area that looks and feels like Vermont in many ways, am 2hrs to Hunter and 3 to lower Vermont, and have 3 ski areas 10 to 15 mins from my front door. oh yeah, i live on a lake that has bass, walleye and muskie knee deep.:):):)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I didn't think about it when I answered the first time, but I would miss being so close to so much variety. 2 hrs to NYC, 1+ hr to the ocean, a few hours to VT/NH, so many ski areas along the way with so many different personalities... I guess I'm just a New England girl at heart.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Yep, I like it better here for all the reasons cited above: proximity to the ocean, family, cities, etc.

But here's another: the same moisture that brings us that heavy wet snow (and yes, I'll say it, ice) keeps it nice and green in the summer. There's nothing like the green of the Green Mountain State, or the explosion of color in the fall.

You can't beat it for charm, either. Find me a village that compares to a New England village in the west. Can't do it.

I love Vermont. And I ain't leaving.

tirolerpeter

My family is here...
I want my kids to know their family...
I'm pretty attached to my hometown...
I like to bake and baking at altitude sucks...

(Alright, the last one is a joke. ;) I do like to bake, but that has no weight on where I live.)

Actually, the last one is not a joke. Since moving to UT and living at 4,800' my wife has basically given up baking all but the most simple things. For anyone interested there is a book called "Pie In The Sky" that provides advice for adjusting baking techniques to higher altitudes. I really didn't need to eat all those extra calories anyway :)

mondeo

So why are people automatically assuming UT or CO? Northern Cal and the Pacific Northwest have some sick skiing as well, but also have beaches, big cities, whatever. Pretty much just leaves career (plenty of work, but if you have a career going in the East it's a different story) and family on the table.

Warp Daddy

Being retired we Can live anywhere now BUT choose to stay EAST for the following reasons:

Family, Friends, Laid back life style, Cost effective for Home base of operations and can travel anywhere anytime now , great medical facilities , the colleges and cultural ambiance closeby , the history, ability to be in several great cities in several hrs and generally speaking THE GOODNESS OF FIT WITH WHO WE ARE as personalities and communication styles.

St. Jerry

I lived in Vail for two years after college. While I enjoyed my time, after two years it was time to move on. I didn't think there were any real long-term career opportunities there other than perhaps in real estate, but that seemed saturated with brokers. Additionally, there were NO Women. 10 to 1 guys to girls. After 2 years that was a big problem.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would rather flip the question upside down and ask why you would want to move out west? If your only answer is skiing (as mine surely would be) then I think there is more to life than just that and those are the things that keep me here.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Actually, the last one is not a joke. Since moving to UT and living at 4,800' my wife has basically given up baking all but the most simple things. For anyone interested there is a book called "Pie In The Sky" that provides advice for adjusting baking techniques to higher altitudes. I really didn't need to eat all those extra calories anyway :)

Oh, I know that altitude affects baking negatively. I was joking about it being a reason not to move west. ;) I love to bake, but it doesn't dictate where I live.

snoseek

So why are people automatically assuming UT or CO? Northern Cal and the Pacific Northwest have some sick skiing as well, but also have beaches, big cities, whatever. Pretty much just leaves career (plenty of work, but if you have a career going in the East it's a different story) and family on the table.

You bring a good point. I will say I like the central rockies for awesome weather and NO RAIN in the winter. I have skied Tahoe and will agree the skiing is pretty sick.

ok now

To all that think skiing is the only reason to go west you are dead wrong. Try awesome mtb, whitewater, weather, rock climbing, camping (bug free), peak bagging, road biking (lot's of paths, infastructure), cheap living, beer......the list goes on. New England has more charm for sure but There are some very cool little towns and even better communities. Major cities prvide a steady job market, resort towns work if you think outside the box.

It is important to realize all traditions are out the window. I like others traditions more than my own I think, that somehow fascinates the explorer in me. Hell I had a blast living in Isreal and having zero interest in religion, just like I'm typing this from the loaf and know tomorrow will be fun. It's all good, everywhere is special to someone