• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 1/06/08

awf170

Do you have the current map available in that format? I'm having a hard time determining what is the current Quad. It looks like your thoughts are to expan more skiers left. I was looking more to the right. Either way, the terrain would be great I'm sure.

Sadly, it will never happen :(

Nope, I don't know of any currents maps in that format, but I do have this nifty, super high tech map I just made in 30 seconds.

wildcat_ski.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okay,

I can transpose that over the other one you did, the 'master plan' and get where you're going. You're obviously well versed in the terrain up there and what you propose would be SICK. Oh if only the NFS would allow such development.

Breeze

Yeah, I actually agree. I just like to defend Wildcat at all costs, even if isn't fully true.:lol:

Also DHS, here is my master plan I made a couple of years ago. Just add the lift that goes to the true summit and you would have the double the acreage and a ton of gnarly skiing like MRG. Do the whole thing and you would probably have the biggest ski area in the east.
Clipboard.jpg

Austin, that is an impressive piece of work... and an incredibly insightful concept.

FIRST

I'd slap a watermark on that map darn quick, claim it as your original work, wait for the time to be right. Its out here on the internet, don't give it away so easily.

Yeah yeah yeah the USFS right now would laugh you into Peter Pan Land for thinking to join the Great Glen lease-hold with Wildcat lease-hold.

SECOND

ya know what? I'm stinking old enough to know that nothing stays the same forever, even the USFS makes changes to policy. Lord knows there is a lot of USFS land elsewhere in the US that is in trust to ski areas. A policy change for the WMNF that would allow selective cutting in the areas you address might do a lot to clean up deadfall and damage from the Ice Storm of 1998, reduce fire potential, and enhance wildlife habitat. Yes it borders the AT, but other ski areas have won concessions from the USFS. Change is eternal.

THIRD

and the most Ouija of all.... Just last summer, Howie Weymss of Great Glen/ Auto Road was gifted with an awesome collection of photographs made at Great Glen during the period ( roughly) 1890-1910, which was the heyday of the original hotel on the property. They predate the existence of the USFS, but MAY show that skiing on the particular terrain in question constitutes an historical use.

Deep pockets need big thinkers, Austin. Don't sell your dreams short. Protect your work.

Breeze

Breeze

Yeah, I actually agree. I just like to defend Wildcat at all costs, even if isn't fully true.:lol:

Also DHS, here is my master plan I made a couple of years ago. Just add the lift that goes to the true summit and you would have the double the acreage and a ton of gnarly skiing like MRG. Do the whole thing and you would probably have the biggest ski area in the east.
Clipboard.jpg

Austin, that is an impressive piece of work... and an incredibly insightful concept. Ok, it is SICK. Sick enough to attract an investor? Who knows.

FIRST

I'd slap a watermark on that map darn quick, claim it as your original work, wait for the time to be right. Its out here on the internet, don't give it away.

Yeah yeah yeah the USFS right now would laugh you into Peter Pan Land for thinking to join the Great Glen lease-hold with Wildcat lease-hold. Ten years out ? 15 years out Different people, different personalities, different needs? There will be different answers.

SECOND

ya know what? I'm stinking old enough to know that nothing stays the same forever, even the USFS makes changes to policy. Lord knows there is a lot of USFS land elsewhere in the US that is leased in trust to ski areas. A policy change for the WMNF that would allow selective cutting in the areas you address might do a lot to clean up deadfall and damage from the Ice Storm of 1998, reduce fire potential, and enhance wildlife habitat. Yes it borders the AT, but other ski areas have won concessions from the USFS in the same position Change is eternal.

THIRD

and the most Ouija ( local heebie jeebie) of all.... Just last summer, Howie Weymss of Great Glen/ Auto Road was gifted with an awesome collection of photographs made at Great Glen during the period ( roughly) 1890-1910, which was the heyday of the original hotel on the property. They predate the existence of the USFS, and MAY show that skiing on some of the particular terrain in Austin's proposal constitutes a documented historical use.

Deep pockets need deep thinkers, Austin. Don't sell your dreams short. Protect your work. You rock.

Breeze

Last edited: