• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat / Attitash 2022-2023

xlr8r

Also Kachina chair still has not run I believe. If Kachina is never going to run again, they should remove it and maybe replace it with a T bar for racers. IMO they should move all racing to Trillium, and give the racers Moonbeam as well if they want it. Illusion is almost a mile long, it is a waste reserving it for racers, it is the best trail on the mountain.

drjeff

Also Kachina chair still has not run I believe. If Kachina is never going to run again, they should remove it and maybe replace it with a T bar for racers. IMO they should move all racing to Trillium, and give the racers Moonbeam as well if they want it. Illusion is almost a mile long, it is a waste reserving it for racers, it is the best trail on the mountain.

Not sure that (Trillium and Moonbeam for racing) would be in the cards based on the trails that Attitash has gotten FIS homologation (the certification process that inspects the race hill for start/finsh adequate vertical drops, safety features such as trail width and specific locations that safety net needs to be in, etc) for.

Currently looking at the FIS list of homolgated trails, Attitash has Illusion homologated for 2 separate length GS courses, 2 separate length Super G courses and 3 seperate length Slalom courses as well as they have Avenger homolgated for 1 length GS course and 1 length Slalom course. Those are the only race hills currently certified to host certain level events at Attitash, and thus where they will likely want to have their athletes training.

Interesting though that they (Attitash) just went through the process prior to this season, of getting Avenger homolgated (or possibly re-certified), as a homologation for a trail for GS and SL is good for 10 yrs and for Avenger it expires in 2033, whereas Illusion will need to be re homolgated in 2028. So that infers that they do have some plans, potentially, to use Avenger at times

deadheadskier

Staff member

I would be against a T Bar replacing that chair on that line. Fun trail when open.

Newpylong

I would run the Kachina triple over the Abenaki mid-week in a heartbeat. Everything off Abenaki is served by the Flying Bear and quicker too when there are no lines. It is a secondary lift to and/from nowhere which would be better suited to handle weekend traffic. Kachina serves two great intermediate/beginner runs (3 if you include Kachina to Bearfoot) not easily served off the top. Perhaps the condos have some sway there. They better get their act together next year. ~50% open going into February again is pretty bad. When my friend was the Snowmaking Manager there under Peak they typically only missed one run a season if they ran out of time (usually Kachina Falls).

pinion

Kachina hasn't run regularly in like 5-6 years. Has it even ran AT ALL in the past 3? Even a day?

I complain all the time about the Bobcat triple not running at Wildcat, but at least it has run occasionally and will likely run again even if it's not at a cadence I think is helpful. Kachina triple should just be removed off the trail map at this point.

pinion

I may be making my first visit of the year to Attitash on Saturday. A high of -9 (not factoring wind) at Wildcat will certainly doom my skinny 10-year-old to possibly never ski again.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

I'm going to wildcat, first time ever, Wednesday. Anything I should know before I go that the regulars here can clue me into? I plan on staying on groomers and just cruising, checking the place out. Mellow trip. I'm not a tree guy.

One question: how much do they groom mid week, and do they mark the ungroomed trials at all with signage on the trail like at some other places? I am not the strongest bump skier but I can manage unless they are real steep. This trip i want to stay off of bumps to save my legs for another trip Friday.

Also curious why middle wildcat was called an ice rink...I assume from the map its a high traffic area to those greens.

Finally, i always figured wildcat would not be as busy on weekends as the other epic mountains as its way far from NY and CT and even from Mass its a haul. It's a solid 2.5Hrs for me from southern NH. what's it like there on the weekends, especially when its fully open like now? I may head up there with my son Sunday before the super bowl, hoping that keeps the crowds down too.

pinion

Is Hairball generally considered the most difficult on-map trail at Wildcat ?
Yeah. Mandatory cliff drop into a pile of rocks. Short but gnarly.

One question: how much do they groom mid week, and do they mark the ungroomed trials at all with signage on the trail like at some other places?
Midweek they'll groom all the greens + Upper Catapult > Middle Wildcat > Bobcat. Depending on trail condition and staff, they may also groom Lynx and Cheetah. Lots of bonus grooming currently: Lower Catapult, Alleycat, Cougar, Lower WIldcat, Catnap, Stray Cat, Middle Catapult.

Also curious why middle wildcat was called an ice rink...I assume from the map its a high traffic area to those greens.
Traffic + location (wind prone) + subsurface (rock). Coincidentally today this was skiing well until 2p. Really depends on wind and traffic. I will say that even at its worst, it's just a hundred feet or so that you need to worry about.

Finally, i always figured wildcat would not be as busy on weekends as the other epic mountains as its way far from NY and CT and even from Mass its a haul. It's a solid 2.5Hrs for me from southern NH. what's it like there on the weekends, especially when its fully open like now?
When fully open it should be fine. Weekend crowds may jam up the quad, but the Tomcat triple gets you 2/3 to the top and rarely has a line. If the crowds grow, take a look at using Cat Walk (confusing on the map, but take it from Middle Lynx) to get into the middle of the mountain and access Cougar. Or take Middle Catapult to Lower Catapult and Alley Cat (could also get to these from Bobcat trail with some minor schlepping). Usually these provide respite from the crowds. Panther runs parallel to Alley Cat and gives you some easy low-angle bumps.

2Planker

Truthfully w/ the way The Cat is now, I see no purpose in taking the 20 mins to drive to AT.
Cat is empty. T2B 16 runs in the am.

snoseek

Truthfully w/ the way The Cat is now, I see no purpose in taking the 20 mins to drive to AT.
Cat is empty. T2B 16 runs in the am.
I kinda like the mix up tbh. I got 20k before lunch and another 10 or 15 down here. It's perfect but I have a soft spot for attitrash.

snoseek

I have always enjoyed Attitash.
Me too. It gets a lot of hate over the years and not alot of snow but the terrain itself is great. It's not a flat mtn at all. Midweek it's always been mellow.

Newpylong

No, it has a lot of character but it's been the redheaded stepchild of Peak and then Vail. Its heyday was under ASC the place was jamming.

However after that quad goes next year you're really going to have a treat if you're lucky enough to be able to go mid-week and rack up some runs.

snoseek

No, it has a lot of character but it's been the redheaded stepchild of Peak and then Vail. Its heyday was under ASC the place was jamming.

However after that quad goes next year you're really going to have a treat if you're lucky enough to be able to go mid-week and rack up some runs.
You know I was just thinking the same thing. Comparing these mtns to peak isn't really doing them justice. Attitash was great in the asc years. That probably the last time they actively had lesser known trails going like pinball alley. When they blow snow on that trail I'll know they're back.

On a separate note they were blowing heavy on Whitehorse which I don't recall that happening for a good long time. Meanwhile tightrope isn't open and I don't recall that. Overall the place is skiing decent. The difference at Wildcat is more notable imo. Attitash still has work to do.

pinion

You know I was just thinking the same thing. Comparing these mtns to peak isn't really doing them justice. Attitash was great in the asc years. That probably the last time they actively had lesser known trails going like pinball alley. When they blow snow on that trail I'll know they're back.

On a separate note they were blowing heavy on Whitehorse which I don't recall that happening for a good long time. Meanwhile tightrope isn't open and I don't recall that. Overall the place is skiing decent. The difference at Wildcat is more notable imo. Attitash still has work to do.
That winter of '95-'96 was amazing. One ticket, Cranmore/ Attitash / Bear Peak. Attitash was being run like a champ, and Cranmore had the new quad. Good snow year to, if I recall. As a kid spending weekends along West Side Rd this was an awesome combo.

Ski The Presidentials was the motto lol.

I have nothing against Attitash. But right now the good stuff off the triple empties into crowded stuff off the quad. And on the Bear side, Avenger is rarely open and Illusion is the racing hill so limited availability.