• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Reports?

awf170

Wildcat was sick today... probably more untracked powder than I ever skied in one day, ever. Seriously, one of my best powder days. Probably around 14-16" but it was so dense that it was bottomless. Even some of the woods shots were awesome today. First tracks down the cat-catoff chute was ridiculously good. Too good for pics...

ozzy

thinking of going there for closing day tomorrow if anyone skis/rides there Sunday plse advise. Thanks

Damato

It was great. We'll be there tomorrow for some morning turns before heading home. They are outta Tux. I finished the keg.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bummed I didn't make it to the Cat this year. Glad they finished their year on a strong note.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Got two runs in before I slammed my chest into a rock during a fall. No harm no foul but I decided to bag it after that incident just as a precaution and as my mind was suddenly not on skiing.

Upper mountain skied extremely nicely with well packed snow and very occasional short shots of loose powder. The mountain got no new snow over night unfortunately so it was basically a continuation of the day before with no rest. This was very unfortunate for the bottom half of the mountain which had 100% manked up Saturday afternoon and continued to settle into perma-mank over night. Groomers were the best option back to the lift on lower mountain but natural skied quite well on the upper mountain. They are covered pretty good and have a lot of terrain available. For Monday, expect good mid-winter packed snow up high and sticky groomers and manked natural down low.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sucks you had to cut your day short, but glad the chest wasn't too banged up.

Always a chance of something like that happening, but especially late or early season snowfall on top of minimal base.

Almost posted a thread about that on Friday night, how I was slightly concerned about the potential hazard a small snowfall can be over sping conditions. Turned out not to matter at the Loaf yesterday as what they got covered up 95% of the on trail hazards.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Always a chance of something like that happening, but especially late or early season snowfall on top of minimal base.
And especially if you duck the wrong rope. Got a little over zealous after having ducked the first rope and was rewarded with some of the best snow on the mountain. Went to low on the second duck where the rocks were not precovered with a base and paid the price. My fault totally. I was riding high on the previous duck being as epic as it was going to get that day. Not an issue on open trails, for the record. Though not an issue on some closed trails either... but very much an issue on others.

deadheadskier

Staff member
At Sugarloaf we ducked Ripsaw and were greatly rewarded. Only reason I ducked it was because I spied a couple others from the chair. I wasn't going to be the first. Turned out it had just as much if not more snow than neighboring Haulback and patrol ended up opening it late in the day anyways.

By the end of the day almost all the roped off stuff had seen skiers, but not until after 1. People were real cautious.

Angus

After having spun the lifts for a final time on Patriot’s Day, Monday April 19th and laying claim for a third year in a row to being the last resort open in New Hampshire, we are now closed for skiing and riding and we thank you for being part of the legend and making the 2009/2010 season one to remember.

polski

Website
twitter.com
And especially if you duck the wrong rope. Got a little over zealous after having ducked the first rope and was rewarded with some of the best snow on the mountain. Went to low on the second duck where the rocks were not precovered with a base and paid the price.
Sorry to hear but glad it was nothing too serious. Saw pow tracks through the rocks on a closed trail under the quad (Starr-Line?) and thought that was the kind of thing you might hit - was it?

Meanwhile, as it was my first trip to the 'cat this season I hadn't really paid attention to the trail map but they seem to have a lot of lower-mountain between-trails stuff marked as "Proposed Tree Skiing." Looks promising. Anyone know what the story is with that?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sorry to hear but glad it was nothing too serious. Saw pow tracks through the rocks on a closed trail under the quad (Starr-Line?) and thought that was the kind of thing you might hit - was it?
Ha. I don't duck under a liftline unless I plan on it being my last run and even then I don't usually do it. I was running the old Gondi Line which had two roped sections. The first one was absolutely primo. The second, not so much.

Puck it

Ha. I don't duck under a liftline unless I plan on it being my last run and even then I don't usually do it. I was running the old Gondi Line which had two roped sections. The first one was absolutely primo. The second, not so much.

I was there and ducked the top rope too. It was in great shape. Much lower down it was very thin. ROTD was Al's Folly. It had some huge bumps on it. At the summit it was like mid winter coverage. It was a good day in all for me.

eatskisleep

Must have been a great day. Just read this on their site:

End-of-season work and transition to summer operations is in process on the mountain and we ask that you do not hike, skin, ski, snowboard, or otherwise access any trails at this time.

I'm pretty surprised by this, as in the past it seemed like Wildcat would be the first to suggest skinning when the lifts aren't turning... Hmm, weird.

Any reports on how much snow was at the snowstake @ Wildcat in the woods??

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wildcat has had a no skinning policy for many seasons now. It does not stop a lot of people and I think they should embrace that aspect of their clientel (or at least turn a blind eye). Cannon has the same rule but has a very dedicated skinning population.

I know not of which snowstake you speak of at the Cat but I can say that one of the brook openings was actually marked with a sign saying "Don't Ski - Open Brook" or something along those lines. I did ski a tree run on the mid-mountain that was in good shape. So I think higher up and not in creek beds, tree skiing was good, from my limited exposure.