- Sep 22, 2008
Temps are looking decent!
Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!
You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!
Does this mean we see at Mt sneux park soon?
I have not info, but I would expect SR to start when ever the temps and humidity allow. Does not look like an inversion in the near future.
Not quite sure, but having driven by the trail where they usually blow some snow for the mini park (and the can drive for the local food pantry they do for a lift ticket for the park) on this past Sunday, they have BOTH sides of the trail lined with fan guns right now, and they were just finishing up a little snowmaking pipe work in the area, so who knows??
IMHO, even if its not the biggest piece of terrain, the basic concept of year in and year out now doing this as a fundraiser for the local food bank is a class act!
Not getting into the debate of what is open, but I think its great when you get that early park. Food Drive. That is great. Glad to see you are proud of your community. We do something like that too.
I believe there will be a few resorts open by the start of the Boston ski show.
I have been going to Sunday River the last 3 weekends just looking up,waiting and hiking . Hoping this is the Last weekend until the end of April that I have to do that.
Heck, even myself as a Mount Snow regular don't consider the mini park food drive event the official opening. I know that once they get a good window of temps, from the 1st week of November on, then it's usually "game on" in getting the "real" opening (top to bottom) happening. Based on something Mount Snow's GM said in the passholders site this morning, I think that the we might be hearing about the start of "game on" soon!
|Ambient Temperatures||Humidity||Wet Bulb||Snowmaking Ability|
|28||75%||26||Better (typical early season)|
I like that they seem to want to make their customers happy, that one of the reasons I like MY owner's, way to go for being honest.We want to give our guests an update regarding our snowmaking plan and potential opening this weekend.
Currently, cold temperatures are forecasted to start the evening of Friday, November 2, and continue into early next week. I want to take a moment to explain the difference between the upcoming cold spell and the October 11 cold spell that allowed us to open October 13-14, 2012, after one day of snowmaking.
First, a brief snowmaking lesson from our Director of Mountain Operations, Jeff Temple:
In snowmaking, one of the most important terms is “wet bulb.” We typically can’t make snow unless the wet bulb is at 28 degrees or lower. Wikipedia has a very in-depth explanation.
[h=3]JEFF HAS A MUCH SIMPLER VERSION:[/h]To calculate wet bulb, we take the ambient outside temperature (what the reading is on the thermometer), and adjust it for humidity. The combination of those two factors gives us a “web bulb” temperature. See the chart below:
Ambient Temperatures Humidity
Wet Bulb Snowmaking Ability 28 100% 28 Mariginal 28 75% 26 Better (typical early season) 28 50% 22 Great, mid-winter
Back to our current weather pattern: our weather is forecasting to be in the mid to high 20’s Friday night into Saturday (good), with high humidity (bad). While cars in the Killington area may have ice on their windows, these temps will not be ideal for snowmaking. As everyone knows, the weather changes very quickly in Vermont, and we will know much more once we see the detailed forecast on Friday.
[h=3]SO, WHEN WILL KILLINGTON OPEN?[/h]Our goal is to open as quickly as possible. Based on the current forecast, we believe that it will be difficult to open Saturday, November 3. However, there is a chance we will be able to open Sunday, November 4. Weather for Sunday and into early next week is forecasted to improve substantially for snowmaking with lower temperatures and humidity.
While we want to be careful not to overpromise, we are trying to balance giving you as much information as possible as soon as we can. I wanted to share this with our guests in hopes that it will allow everyone to be “in the loop” so plans can be made accordingly.
I understand that many of our guests are dealing with more important things in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy than planning a ski weekend. We were truly fortunate to receive an outpouring of support from last year’s Irene storm, and we wish everyone affected by Sandy a safe and speedy recovery.
Thanks for reading, and we will have further updates on our snowmaking/opening plan as the forecast becomes clearer.