• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Time to Ski Ice

What trail type do you least want ice to occur?

• Trees

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Moguls

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Open trail/bowl

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You guys wanted some fun threads- I'm full of 'em. What type of trail is the worst when its icy. So icy that you would hike back if you could.

I least want ice when I'm on an open trail. Small sections are manageable, but if I find a sheet of ice on something like Vertigo at K or Nitro at the Loaf and I'm screwed.

MadMadWorld

Steep icy groomers are the most dangerous if you don't know it's icy or wind blown. You can gather up some serious speed before pinballing into trees

drjeff

Icy main thorough fare beginner runs on a crowded weekend!! Its all the other skiers/riders with limited skills that you can't control that concern me on ice over a steep run that icy

dlague

Narrower trails that have switchbacks with pitch! They get skied off quickly and those under expected icy turns can be kind of freaky in my book.

Puck it

I have a fun time once a t Sunapee on Flying Goose when the bumps were glazed over and hard but the ice was very rough like an ostrich skin. It was a blast.

Old Duderino

Well the title of the thread is "worst time to ski ice" so the poll doesn't make much sense to me. My answer to the thread title is when I'm stoned, hung over or both.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ice sucks everywhere but wide groomers, it's just not that fun. I'd rather scrape through woods or moguls or something entertaining than a boring groomer made worse by ice.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I dunno. I think they're pretty good at it.

T6XC2.gif

KevinF

I've kind of taken a liking to within-reason icy bumps; it's a good test of how your technique is shaping up. Likewise with icy groomers; they provide good feedback as to what's working and what's not. That said, I keep my edges sharp.

Icy trees though? No thanks. Icy bumps and groomers give you some leeway room in terms of "losing it"; if you don't nail a turn right where you want it, it's not the end of the world. Icy trees... there's potentially a big penalty for missing a turn.

CoolMike

Ice right after lunch is the worst for me. You confidently attack the trail only to find that its become a sheet of ice while you were having a burger and a beer.

Scruffy

I've kind of taken a liking to within-reason icy bumps; it's a good test of how your technique is shaping up. Likewise with icy groomers; they provide good feedback as to what's working and what's not. That said, I keep my edges sharp.

Icy trees though? No thanks. Icy bumps and groomers give you some leeway room in terms of "losing it"; if you don't nail a turn right where you want it, it's not the end of the world. Icy trees... there's potentially a big penalty for missing a turn.

This^. Trees are no place to lose an edge and slam into a tree, stump or rock. Icy moguls are a challenge, but not that dangerous, as your skill level will quickly govern your aggressiveness. Steep icy moguls are safer than lower angle icy bump runs. You can carve wide open icy groomers with good technique and sharp edges, and dodging the beginners skidding outta control is half the sport of it.