• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wyndham or BellAyre

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Are Windham's lifties from South America?

They were the last time I was there and that will be the last time I ever ski at Windham.

Not only were the lifties foreign, their lack of understanding of the English language was a definite safety risk in my not so humble opinion.

To the OP, Bell has had one death in the last three years that I know of. Windham has had three deaths in the last two seasons. A barometer of their conccern for safety? You make your own decision, I have made mine. I will NOT ski at Windham ever again.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Yes that is me lol.

image.php
Bruce-Springsteen.jpg

skidbump

OK, i have skied belleayre almost everyday for last 5 seasons.This year due to a Zero advertising budget the skier numbers are down 50 to 60% .If you are looking for a uncrowded area with some snow "30 trails" then come on in the water is fine.If your looking for long steeps then don't bother..If your looking for bumps then find another mountain as of today there are 2 runs bumped.Lower Wannatuska "about 50 yrds of bumps in front of lodge" and top of Onterora.

legalskier

Looks like you're trying your best to keep it uncrowded. Fine with me!

catskills

To the OP,........

Stache you last post should be deleted by the moderator. That was over the top in bad taste. I understand you were a Windham employee years ago. You truly need to bury the anger toward Windham and move on with your life.

Of the four Catskills ski areas Windham is at the bottom of my personal list but that is just me and my personal taste. Windham has a lot to offer and I still enjoy skiing there. To say negative things about Windham's safety factor is just wrong. To their credit, Windham mountain is one of the few mountains on the east coast that has Paramedic's on duty that are certified by the State to perform Advanced Life Support procedures.

http://windhamskipatrol.com/who.aspx

"Our first Aid Room is staffed with a minimum of one Advanced Emergency Medical Technician with a New York State Department of Health, Paramedic level certification. Paramedics are capable of providing advanced treatment modalities, including endotracheal intubation, intravenous therapy, and medication administration ......."

BenedictGomez

OK, i have skied belleayre almost everyday for last 5 seasons.This year due to a Zero advertising budget the skier numbers are down 50 to 60% .

I imagine the crappy year and the cessation of "BOGO madness", has had a large impact on skier visit numbers as well.

evantrentful

SkiersLeft is correct. Its a pragmatic answer. I too ski Belleayre more than other mountain in catskills for my own reasons. That being said, I think Windham does have better overall terrain. Also given that this has been a terrible snow year I think that Windham's advantage is only expanded upon.

If it was a normal year, and snow was plenty, I think there would be more of a battle given Belleayre's awesome glades terrain.

But if they are going to have to pick one, and aren't up here often than I think Windham is the safer bet.

But if Crowds are the key factor Belleayre has the advantage.

legalskier

Belle picked up 3" last night, Plattekill's reporting 2" and Elk 5".

ScottySkis

When it comes to Catskills I think different people like certain hills for based on many factors. I Think Hunter is great for experts and beginners, Windham is better for more upscale clients and has better blues, Bell is cheap and has some trees with snow, when it snows at Plattekill is great and worth passing all the other 3 but that's my opinion on what I like. I love to go to Hunter mid week but I have limited personal time at my job, so if i use personal time its to go ski in Vermont or Slc.

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
When it comes to Catskills I think different people leger certain hills for based on many factors. I Think Hunter is great for experts and beginners, Windham is better for more upscale clients and has better blues, Bell is cheap and has some trees with snow, when it snows at Plattekill is great and worth passing all the other 3 but that's my opinion on what I like. I love to go to Hunter mid week but I have limited personal time at my job, so if i use personal time its to go ski in Vermont or Slc.

My 2 cents:

Hunter - great for advanced intermediates and experts. Not so good for intermediates and beginners (not much of a beginner area).

Windham - Great for beginners and yes, plenty of blues

Bell - Place where you curse drivers getting in your way, making the turn to get in, on your way to Plattekill. :lol:

Plattekill - When it snows, something real special.

skidbump

Ready
If you wanna get laid you go to hunter
If you wanna be seen you got to windham
If you just wanna ski at a family kinda place you go to belleayre
Thats the bottom line

Ready
If you wanna get laid you go to hunter
If you wanna be seen you got to windham
If you just wanna ski at a family kinda place you go to belleayre
Thats the bottom line

If you DON'T wanna be seen you go to Plattekill - because you will practically have the whole place to yourself! :spin:

And that is a good thing. The only complaint I have about Plattekill is that there are so few skiers, the place does not get bumped up.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

If you DON'T wanna be seen you go to Plattekill - because you will practically have the whole place to yourself! :spin:

And that is a good thing. The only complaint I have about Plattekill is that there are so few skiers, the place does not get bumped up.

+1